Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2016, 06:27 AM   #1
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Break in procedure Honda EU2000

any recommendations concerning break in procedure for the Honda eu2000 generator. I have found a couple different ideas on the internet. One involves starting with a warm up, then adding a light load, increasing it until you reach a 1500 watt load for an hour. Then change oil and repeat. Powered by gas and using conventional oil during the break in. I will convert the unit to use propane and use synthetic oil. This article also recommends the use of 0W20 or 0W30 Mobil 1, with the 0W ability to flow easily for cold start ups, anyone else use this?
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Well, I started mine up, plugged in the trailer and used it normally from day one. Do oil changes annually or every 50 hours and use whatever name brand oil is on sale.

Has over 1100 hours over 9 years and still starts on the first pull.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 02:58 PM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Your Honda manual should have a break-in procedure. I would find and follow that. Seems to me that changing the oil after first use is overkill. i do agree with warming up the unit before putting any load on it (even after break-in). Slowly adding load is also a great idea.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 04:23 PM   #4
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
No break in procedure in my manual. I ran the generator for close to 2 hours, starting at 300 watt load, increasing the load every 15 minutes and ending with an hour at 1500 watts. I then drained the oil and will repeat the procedure before I switch to synthetic. I did find the drained oil had a surprising amount of fine metal particles in it. Oil is cheap
Old 12-03-2016, 04:39 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I would wait until the generator has at least 50 hours on it before switching to synthetic. I seem to remember Honda recommending against synthetic oil. Not that that has stopped me from using it in mine...
Old 12-04-2016, 06:28 AM   #6
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
No mention of not using synthetic oil in the Honda's manual. I want to make sure the rings are seated before I switch, hence the break in using regular oil. i've used synthetic oil in all of my vehicles since 1995 and the most obvious advantage is how easy the motor turns over in extremely cold weather and the reduction on wear. With no oil pump on the Honda, I'm inclined to pull the starter rope a couple times before starting to "splash" some oil on the internals. I plan on running it on propane, to run cleaner and avoid the stale gas/varnish problem, and avoid using Gasohol. As a side note, I have found the Sta-Bil Marine stabilizer to work the best with the Gasohol for long term storage.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:08 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Okay, I just found my owner's manual, and it seems the only place that specifies not using synthetic oil WAS ON THIS FORUM, not any recommendation against it by Honda, so disregard my previous post.
The manual DOES specify changing the oil after the first 20 hours of operation, and following the maintenance schedule in the manual after that.