Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Boliy Pro 3600Si - generator

Anyone have experience with this generator?

Boliy Pro 3600SI+: Smallest Size and Biggest Power Generator from Rec-Direct

I know it's not a Honda, and don't expect to get everything for a cheaper price, but it is 3600 watts, is spec'ed at 58dB sound level, and looks like it would serve the purpose well, if it runs and stays together.

We don't do a lot of boondocking, but some, and would like to have a generator.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
anyone?
Old 11-30-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Looks like a good unit from the specs.

If you decide to get one please let us know if it measures up.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Steve, I don't have any experience with that gen. but I did go to their web site. I couldn't find where it is built. They have also adjusted some of the comparison specs in their favor. Both the Honda and Yamaha db ratings are mis quoted. Check out this older AIR Forum thread: Boliy Generators? Too good to be true? - Airstream Forums

Tim

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkasten View Post
Steve, I don't have any experience with that gen. but I did go to their web site. I couldn't find where it is built. They have also adjusted some of the comparison specs in their favor. Both the Honda and Yamaha db ratings are mis quoted. Check out this older AIR Forum thread: Boliy Generators? Too good to be true? - Airstream Forums

Tim
Yes Tim, I remember that thread, and there was no one with expereince on that one either. I did read they have "refined" the units to make them quieter. If it is even close to performing to the specs, and stays together for a few seasons, it's a good deal IMHO. It's the only generator that I have found that should run an Airstream AC unit that I can lift. The 3KW Yamaha is out of the question because of the weight. The 2KW Honda is too small, so you have to buy two. And those two units are Japanese....who knows where they are really made. I'm old enough to remember when "Made in Japan" meant junk, so hopefully the Chinese are improving also.

Anyway, soon I should be able to report as I have ordered one. I did my part for "cyber Monday". Please keep me in your prayers.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
Usually lost

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Maricopa , Arizona
My neighbor bought one and it works well, is quiet and light. He has had a problem with the electric start not working because gas leaked on the wiring harness. It seems that he can't access it to fix. I'll check with him to see if I can get more info.
Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cahalan1526 View Post
My neighbor bought one and it works well, is quiet and light. He has had a problem with the electric start not working because gas leaked on the wiring harness. It seems that he can't access it to fix. I'll check with him to see if I can get more info.
Thanks cahalan1526. Well, at least I did not order the electric start version, but a gas leak is not good in any version.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:06 AM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I found a review on the Trailer Life website... it seems that people have had mixed results, but some are quite happy with it. The most recent review is from '08, but the model number listed is the same. One comment I read in another review is that its tank only holds about 4 hours of fuel.

Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Boliy Generator Review for you to read
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:19 AM   #9

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Another review is here, mostly favorable. If I were in the market, I'd rate it as "worth some risk" since there seem to be more people praising it than panning it, and we internet-review geeks LOVE to complain about stuff.

Class B RV's and Camper Van Conversions • View topic - Boliy Pro3600sie, electric start--review
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #10

Callaway , Nebraska
I have a Boliy 3600sie. Had about a year. The GOOD is that it runs well and is quiet and it is pretty light weight for 3000 watts. The BAD is that it came with the oil drain plug loose, the gas shut off valve leaks where it is attached to the tank( I removed it and wrapped some teflon tape on the threads), the rubber plug to the oil plug is poorly designed and tears easily. The item is made in China but then again so are all the other ones, including Hondas. I bought mine from www.Boliy Generators, an outfit from southern California, San Diego to be exact. They may have the best price but the Service is absolutely LOUSEY!! I would not buy from them again. I seriously doubt whether they even stand behind the warranty. I would recommend "The Boliy Guy" also out of CA or The Bottomline Trading Post out of Austin, TX. Both carry parts and seem much more reassuring and reliable. I suspect that if one is half way handy, most problems with the Boliy can be handled. Everything is accessible, depending on how much disassembling one wants to do. It is the weight of a Honda 200 but 1000 watts more which covers about anyload including AC. Good Luck
stripecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripecat View Post
The item is made in China but then again so are all the other ones, including Hondas.
Ur cooockooo, my Honda EU2000's and EU3000 are made in JAPAN!!!
Old 11-30-2010, 08:00 PM   #12

Callaway , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Ur cooockooo, my Honda EU2000's and EU3000 are made in JAPAN!!!
Shipped from Nippon and inverter specifications from same, but done in China. But please don't read this as it will burst your very thick bubble. Cuckoo!
stripecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:42 PM   #13

roachdale , Indiana
Thumbs down Boyil generator

I would not buy a Boyil generator. I have one and have nothing but trouble with it. It is two years old and it never runs and if it does it dies several times before it starts again. When it does run, it will only run on high idle and will not idle down (even when nothing plugged in).

I have sent it back to the place I bought it twice. I did not have to pay for anything to be fixed, but it took about 3 weeks to get it fixed. Well, they said it was fixed, but really it only worked once and then died. It is sitting in my shed drained of gas and oil. Just sitting there!!!

I would be very careful buy one of these generators. You have to send it back to the dealer, because no one will work on them. My feeling is if it is to good to be true then it is. Maybe I just got a lemon, but it was a costly lemon.
mcmurtryocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:26 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Thanks cahalan1526. Well, at least I did not order the electric start version, but a gas leak is not good in any version.
Did you pull the trigger? A reveiw?
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Des Moines , Washington
Steve and others,

I have done my research on this issue also, only needing a generator when at the racetrack or woods riding. When we camp we are usually at a full hook up campground. I have found the best bang for my buck has been the Honda em-3000 @ 67lbs or the Yamaha ef-2800 @ 68lbs noise in the 62db range. The Yamaha has a longer run time, but I got the Honda due to a craigslist find. Both are 30amp plug equipped, the Honda will pull 25amps the Yamaha 22.5amps. New pricing around $1200-$1500 depends on retailer, but I would not hesitate to buy these units used. (Note to all) These are made in Japan! And are very reliable! Just my 2 cents.

Curt
2wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Yes, I have it. I've only tested it to be sure it works, and it does. It's physically quite a bet larger than a Honda, but it's not too difficult to handle. It's quiet running, but don't know if it's as quite as a Honda. It does run the A/C unit on the Airstream without a problem. I actually somehow ordered the electric start model without knowing it. It was on sale so that might have been how I made the mistake.

I should be getting some time on it in a couple of weeks.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
scottsdale , Arizona
Generator

We have an about 2 year old model of this China made generator. It works okay, would not say great, think it struggles a bit doing the 15,000 btu ac and other electric at night so I am not sure it delivers as much power as advertised, although the importer tested it with me and it did show output as advertised. When we bought there were few if any dealers, only the importer in California who would do repair. Ours was poorly put together, i.e. exaust was partly covered by plastic case and caused melting. The case is made as cheap as possible. Having friends in San Diego we just took in over and they made a so-so repair at no cost but did charge for another part we broke. Recently noted they have new web site and more dealers listed and there is a new model that has an eletric starter. Before buying one or using, if buying on line, check it out very well for fit and finish before getting rid of packing, you might need to return.

Bottom line: If we spent a lot of time in Airstream and needed a generator a lot would probably not purchase this unit but maybe go for the two Hondas. As we use the generator very little and when we are far out and the DB rating in no problem we have 4000w Briggs and Stratton, which works great but the DB rating is slightly more than allowed in US and State Parks.

Hope this is some help.
Arizona Guys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Just got back from a boondocking trip where I used the generator for about 8 hours. Mostly just battery charging as it was cold, but the wife did use the hair dryer a bit. All is well.