Old 01-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Des Moines , Washington
Steve and others,

I have done my research on this issue also, only needing a generator when at the racetrack or woods riding. When we camp we are usually at a full hook up campground. I have found the best bang for my buck has been the Honda em-3000 @ 67lbs or the Yamaha ef-2800 @ 68lbs noise in the 62db range. The Yamaha has a longer run time, but I got the Honda due to a craigslist find. Both are 30amp plug equipped, the Honda will pull 25amps the Yamaha 22.5amps. New pricing around $1200-$1500 depends on retailer, but I would not hesitate to buy these units used. (Note to all) These are made in Japan! And are very reliable! Just my 2 cents.

Curt

Old 01-30-2011, 09:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Yes, I have it. I've only tested it to be sure it works, and it does. It's physically quite a bet larger than a Honda, but it's not too difficult to handle. It's quiet running, but don't know if it's as quite as a Honda. It does run the A/C unit on the Airstream without a problem. I actually somehow ordered the electric start model without knowing it. It was on sale so that might have been how I made the mistake.

I should be getting some time on it in a couple of weeks.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
scottsdale , Arizona
Generator

We have an about 2 year old model of this China made generator. It works okay, would not say great, think it struggles a bit doing the 15,000 btu ac and other electric at night so I am not sure it delivers as much power as advertised, although the importer tested it with me and it did show output as advertised. When we bought there were few if any dealers, only the importer in California who would do repair. Ours was poorly put together, i.e. exaust was partly covered by plastic case and caused melting. The case is made as cheap as possible. Having friends in San Diego we just took in over and they made a so-so repair at no cost but did charge for another part we broke. Recently noted they have new web site and more dealers listed and there is a new model that has an eletric starter. Before buying one or using, if buying on line, check it out very well for fit and finish before getting rid of packing, you might need to return.

Bottom line: If we spent a lot of time in Airstream and needed a generator a lot would probably not purchase this unit but maybe go for the two Hondas. As we use the generator very little and when we are far out and the DB rating in no problem we have 4000w Briggs and Stratton, which works great but the DB rating is slightly more than allowed in US and State Parks.

Hope this is some help.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Just got back from a boondocking trip where I used the generator for about 8 hours. Mostly just battery charging as it was cold, but the wife did use the hair dryer a bit. All is well.