Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2007, 04:18 PM   #1
2006 F350 V10 Ext. Cab LB

1998 30' Excella 1000
Sherwood , Oregon
Boliy Generators? Too good to be true?

Hi,

I've been thinking of buying a generator and it seems most here think the dual Honda EU2000i's is the best way to go. I was checking out the Kipor's in a search and came across the following very intriguing alternative. It looks like you can get 3000 Watts (AirCond?), 68 Lbs., 53>58 Db at 24 ft., and a clean sine wave for $990. Does anyone have experience with or know anything about Boliy Generators? Is this too good to be true?

Best Regards,
Walt

Boliy Pro3600SI Digital Inverter Generator (click here to order)

COPIED FROM THE URL:
Boliy Pro3600SI Digital Inverter Generator (click here to order)
Item#: Pro3600SI
Availability: Usually ships the next business day.
MSRP: $1,199.00Sale price (free shipping): $990.00

Product Description
World most advanced inverter generator with true digital signal processing with pure sinewave output
- Quiet, Light Weight, Variable Engine speeds and up to 8 times quieter than conventional generators
- Will power up to 15000 BTU RV rooftop AC unit
- Included 30 A RV Receptacle (TT-30R) for easy RV connection
- Maximum output 3300W, Rated Output - 3000W at 120V (60Hz) with 12V, 8 Amp DC charging (cord included)
- Perfect and stable sinewave output at 120V good for all electronics devices
- Save 40% gas over conventional generator, you can pay for this generator with the gas saving for about 1,500 hours of operation.
- Noise Level from 53 to 58 dB at 23 feet, 4.5 to 16 hours run time, only 68 lbs
- Built-in time meter indicates the total run time
You are looking at the new Boliy Digital Inverter generator that output 3,300 maximum and 3,000W continuous. It is brand new in box and in stock ready to ship. This is in a new model in more attactive red color and with the added time meter feature. This generator had received good reviews on RV community.
Boliy Pro3600SI (model number not matching the wattage here) is a true Digital Signal Processing (DSP) inverter generators. Similar Honda, Yamaha, and Kipor use the transistor induced technology which is just simulated signal processing. With the advance German made microprocessor, the DSP resulted in a power conversion rate of 20% higher with compatible inverter generators from Honda, Yamaha, and Kipor. The voltage is adjusted to maintain at stable 120V by the computer inverter module. The light weight design makes them ideal for transportation.
Digital Inverter Generators
One of the challenges of power generators today is to combine compact size and low noise with environmentally friendly emissions. The answer to these needs through the development of digital inverter generators. These smart, reliable, and quiet units produce smooth and consistent electrical output. Their sinewave inverters are suitable for sensitive digital electronics that most conventional generators won't work well.
Boliy Digital Generator is Semi-portable and Light Weight
Boliy digital inverter generators are approximately 50% lighter than traditional generators because the alternator is directly connected to the engine, and the flywheel is therefore eliminated. The voltage is constantly adjusted to maintain at 120V by the computer inverter module. The light weight design makes them ideal for transportation.
Boliy Generator is Quiet
Boliy digital inverter generators have a new two-tiered noise dampening system, so the noise emitted by these generators is 6-9 dB less than traditional generators. This translates to 4 to 8 times quieter than conventional generators. A 3 dB drop in noise level represents the half amount on the actual noise. This meets the new noise ordinances that some state and national parks have adopted.
Boliy Generator is EPA Approved
Boliy high-performance combustion system reduces emission levels to the lowest limit. Each Boliy comes with an EPA label. The engine is made with special Nikasil (nickle alloy) coating for durability and efficiency. Nikasil is a coating found on all Porsche's engines.
Boliy Generator is Quality Power
The power wave of this generator set is a perfect sinewave. This produces a "clean" power output that can run precise equipment or instruments sensitive to any disruptive voltage fluctuations, such as desktop computers, life-supports, etc. Use of non-sine wave power generators (most conventional generators), may over time, damage those equipment.
Smart Throttle:
This generator is equipped with the unique smart-throttle. It can automatically regulate the engine speed according to the load, so the fuel consumption of digital generator sets is lower by 40%, than traditional sets, the running time is therefore much longer as well. The noise level is further reduced at lower running speed.
Specifications:
Rated Frequency (Hz): 60
Rated Voltage (V): 120
Rated Current (A): 25
Rated Rotation Speed (rpm): 800 - 4,000 depends on load
Rated Output Power (W): 3000
Max. Output Power (W): 3300
DC Output (cable included): 12V-8A
Electric Circuit Breaker: Automatic computer controlled breaker
Phase Numbers: Single phase
Fuel Tank Capacity: 1.9 gallon
Rated Continuous Running Time (hr): 4.5 at full load, 8.3 at half load
Noise Level [dB(A)/7m] (Zero Load):
Noise Level [dB(A)/7m] (Full Load) 53 to 58
Dry Weight: 68 lbs
Dimensions (inches): 23 X 16.5 X 18.5
EPA Certified Engine: 171cc OHC, 4-stroke, Nikasil coated engine
Muffler (OK to use in National Parks): USDA Spark Arrest Muffler
Warranty:
We offer 2 years warranty for parts. Our service center is in the United States. We have most major spare parts in stock. Our service technician is ready to help you. This generator had been very reliable and so the possibility that you will have problem in the first 2 years is less than 1%.
Driver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Question To good to be true?

Boy, I just don't know. Is service avalible? is there a warrenty? I would certainly worry about starting current on large loads like A/C. But it sounds good.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Gee,

Looks like another Chinese knock-off. This time, they copied the Yamaha EF3000iS. The look is very similar and so are the specs. I would be VERY suspicious of these without any track record.

You will certainly be better off spending the extra bucks and buying the Yamaha of Honda, both proven and with great records, parts readily available, and lots of Forum users..................

'Ya pays yer money and ya' takes yer choice!'............and the first corollary:

'YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!'
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:13 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Does seem too good to be true.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Honda

I still have my Honda 2000 EI or something. I used it when I had a tag along and now I keep it for hotel loads in my home. Start it up every month and run it for about a hour with load. It has never caused me any problem and I like the backup for power outages. Low noise - dependable - If I continue to do the maintenace, I supect it will last longer than myself.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
See if you can buy any parts. Can you get a headgasket, piston, bearings, etc..? Stuff is only as good as the support network no matter what the initial costs.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:00 PM   #7

1998 30' Excella 1000
Sherwood , Oregon
Boliy Generator - Too good to be true?

Hi Alan, Lew, Silvertwinkie & Excella CM,

Thanks for the thoughts & replys. Lew, I'd go with the Yamaha EF3000iS if it weighed 68 lbs. dry instead of 147 lbs.

Well, it looks like the warranty is only on the parts - not the labor for repairs. So far, no luck learning who makes them & where. I also haven't found a track record of reliability, parts availability, where to have them serviced, etc.

That URL I included earlier did have this contact information:

Boliy Generator Western United States
Exclusive Distributor:
Xtreme Power Products
San Diego, California
Email: info@boliygenerator.com
Phone: 800-913-8869
Fax: 858-689-8866

I'll check further with them.

Best Regards,
Walt
Old 07-11-2007, 09:04 PM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Name : SUZHOU BOLIY POWER CO., LTD
Address : Huangqiao Industrial Park ,Suzhou , Jiangsu ,215132, P.R. China.

What a surprise!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:16 PM   #9

1998 30' Excella 1000
Sherwood , Oregon
Surprised?

Hi Richard,

Great job Richard! Thanks a lot. Have you heard of anyone buying & using one? I just found this lead Class B RV's, Camper Vans & Camping Van Conversions :: View Forum - Boliy Pro3600Si .

Best Regards,
Walt
Old 07-11-2007, 09:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Looking at that unit again, maybe it's more like the EF 2400iS, not the 3000. And if so, how do they get 3000 watts out of essentially a 2400 watt unit? How accurate is the rating, and is it rated for constant duty use or just ocassional use?

68lbs. is not much for an engine capable of turning a gen set at 3000 watts output. Something smells. Get the EF2400iS and it WILL start and run a 13.5K air conditioner, as some on the Forum have reported. Even better, get it converted to Propane and you won't have to carry an extra fuel source or worry about the carb varnishing over from not being run constantly.

I recently converted an EF1000iS to LP....very simple and straightforward process......................
Old 07-11-2007, 09:54 PM   #11

1998 30' Excella 1000
Sherwood , Oregon
Low Weight ?!!?

Hi Lew,

I'm guessing it's closer to the Yamaha EF2800iC. Yamaha uses the same basic 171cc, 5.5 hp engine for the EF2400iS, EF2800iC, EF3000iSEBC, EF3000iSEC, and YG2800iC model generators based on some literature I found, but the 3 KW models weigh 147 lbs. vs. 64>66 lbs. for the others.

I like the propane idea.

The message below is what I just sent to Extreme Power Products.

Best Regards,
Walt

In a message dated 7/11/2007 8:32:55 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, XlsWalt writes:
Hi,

Please send data on this unit. We've had a dialog going this evening on the Airstream Forums wondering about a track record of reliability, parts availability, where to have them serviced, etc. We think we understand that it's made by:
Name : SUZHOU BOLIY POWER CO., LTD
Address : Huangqiao Industrial Park ,Suzhou , Jiangsu ,215132, P.R. China.

The specs I've seen seem ideal for RV use. Is it patterned after the Yamaha EF2800iC with somehow more power out?

Best Regards,
Walt Weber
Spreadsheet Design & Automation Co.
503-625-3688
xlsWalt@aol.com

Old 07-11-2007, 10:01 PM   #12
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I have only read about this generator. Several posts on RV.net show owners with a few problems, one had problems starting his AC with one. Support from the seller has been questionable.

Some of the claims of the company are a little questionable.

40% less gas useage? 1500 hrs will pay for itself? I would like to see that documented with fuel comsumption numbers and what they compaired it to.

"We offer a 2 year parts only warenty" Does that mean it is not included? Does it cost extra?

4 to 8 times quieter then a convensional generator? What convensional generator and what are their numbers?

Our service center is located in the US? Where in the US?

From what I read the weight has been reduced by not having a flywheel on the crank. This could equate to a drop in RPM when a load is applied. It could also mean more pressure on the crankshaft at the same time.

I have a Honda generator. I know it is backed by Honda. I can get parts from Honda. I can get it serviced by Honda.

$1000 is alot to invest in a product based upon a webpage or a forum (the one you listed) where every thread (16) was started by the same person. This generator is only sold over the internet and is not carried by any retail outlets that I know of.

I am not tempted by this offer, not even a little.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:48 PM   #13

1998 30' Excella 1000
Sherwood , Oregon
Thank you azflycaster, I hadn't thought to check RV.Net.

You're right. With a Honda, you can get parts and service in most cities of any size. And, when you need it, that's a huge plus.

The weight savings of using the generator armature as the flywheel is a great idea for these lighter weight generators and is used by Honda, Yamaha, and others. Boliy isn't plowing any new ground here.

The hyperbolie of marketing is not something that troubles me in their generalized claims. But the specs are measurable and can, and should be compared to the competition.

Best Regards,
Walt
Old 07-12-2007, 07:10 AM   #14
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Parts availability, Parts availability, Parts availability, Parts avail....

I have $3000 worth of CEP power distribution panels sitting in my shop with blown GFCI units. The units were purchased thru Northern tools by our illustrious purchasing agent. They were $100 cheaper than the next comparable unit from Leviton. The Leviton units use components made in the USA. The CEP panel uses Chinese parts. Right now there is a 90-120 day backorder on the replacement parts for the CEP panels. I have 2 Levitons that are still going strong and repair parts are available at my local supply house. When you pay more for a product you are quite often paying for the infrastructure that supports it. FWIW we use Honda and Yamaha generators on a daily basis and have zero problems with them. Most of these generators have over 3000 hours on them and are 2-3 years old. I would like to see a Chinese knockoff handle that type of use. I heard a comment the other day that rings so true. With Chinese products the consumer is the Quality Control...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:18 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Kerrville , Texas
Honda conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Looking at that unit again, maybe it's more like the EF 2400iS, not the 3000. And if so, how do they get 3000 watts out of essentially a 2400 watt unit? How accurate is the rating, and is it rated for constant duty use or just ocassional use?

68lbs. is not much for an engine capable of turning a gen set at 3000 watts output. Something smells. Get the EF2400iS and it WILL start and run a 13.5K air conditioner, as some on the Forum have reported. Even better, get it converted to Propane and you won't have to carry an extra fuel source or worry about the carb varnishing over from not being run constantly.

I recently converted an EF1000iS to LP....very simple and straightforward process......................
Hey Lew, Where did you get the conversion kit for the Honda?
richg
richg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:38 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Get the EF2400iS and it WILL start and run a 13.5K air conditioner, as some on the Forum have reported. Even better, get it converted to Propane and you won't have to carry an extra fuel source or worry about the carb varnishing over from not being run constantly.
This is the ticket! While not as small as the Honda, it handles a full 20 amp circuit, allowing the A/C to start. At 70 lbs, it portable- barely.

I ran an extra hose with a guick connector from the camper's LP tanks to run the generator or the BBQ.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:00 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by richg
Hey Lew, Where did you get the conversion kit for the Honda?
richg
Try US Carburetion out of WV at Generator Conversion Kits to Propane and Natural Gas.

They have conversion kits for just about any gas powered gen-set and also sell factory converted Yamahas.

Nice folks! Great products.................
Old 07-12-2007, 02:12 PM   #18

1998 30' Excella 1000
Sherwood , Oregon
Boliy Pro3600SI generator?

Hi again,

Thought some of you might be interested in the following reply from Joe Weger at Midwest Power Products. It's interesting that they've "worked through" 540 Boliy units with only 6 he considers "a bit of a problem". Unfortunately, the minimal parts and service availability issue is confirmed.

Best Regards,
Walt
************************************************** *********************************
Downloaded Brochure:
BoliyGeneralBrochure.pdf

In a message dated 7/12/2007 12:34:57 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, jmweger@earthlink.net writes:
We have included a brochure for your review which should answer the majority of your questions. The Product is made in China by ZHONGGU MOULD CO., LTD. Each reseller is responsible for the warranty of the unit offered for sale; unfortunately there is not a nationwide network for the warranty as of yet, like the Kipor and Honda products.
As for quality, thus far we have worked through the first allotment of Boliy generators (540 units) with only six of them giving us a bit of a problem. Ratio wise this is no greater than our Honda or Kipor powered products. Shipping them with the FEDEX type of carrier is a problem as the unit fully boxed is nearly 80 pounds. We have had several problems with this area; yes they are resolvable but frustrating.
As for performance we have not yet had any bad feed back – providing the user does not think this is a ‘utility’. As for a track record, www.rv.com has had some discussion as of recently, but generally the best we can say is to ask around those that travel for their input. The Boliy originally brought to the US by Mr. Wellington Hue of California has had more experience than all the remaining rest of us. Boliy is presently setting up distribution areas throughout the US; we are in the north central region and offer our services to Wisconsin and it surrounding states with sales, service and parts. As for shipping them outside of this area, i.e. to Oregon, we have done this because no one company supports your region as of yet.
As for support you might be better to try Mr. Wellington Hue @ www.xtremegadget@yahoo.com as he’s the closest reseller to you at this time. Let him know we sent you his way if you should decide to do so.

Regards,
Joe Weger
www.midwestpowerproducts.net

MWPP
(O) 608-723-4138
(F) 608-723-4296
(C) 608-732-8138
(W) 800-763-2081

Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 8:45 PM
To: jmweger@earthlink.net
Subject: Boliy Pro3600SI generator?

Hi,

I'd like to know more about the Boliy Pro3600SI generator listed on your WEB site (Midwest Power Products, LLC). I'm having trouble learning who makes them & where. I can't find a track record of reliability, where to have them serviced, etc.

The wattage, weight, clean sine wave, and sound level all seem excellent for use with my RV.

Best Regards,
Walt Weber
Sherwood, OR 97140

xlsWalt@aol.com

Old 07-13-2007, 01:23 AM   #19

1998 30' Excella 1000
Sherwood , Oregon
Boliy generators?

Hi Again,

Some of you may be interested in these following responses to my inquiries from xtremegadget.com / boliygenerator.com (in San Diego). Growing a dealer network seems to be in progress.

Walt
************************************************** ************************************************** ****

In a message dated 7/12/2007 11:20:14 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, info@boliygenerator.com writes:
Hello Walt,

Reliability is very good. There were small problems like the choke cable adjustment at the first lot. However, it had been greatly improved in the current lot. You can also read www.classbforum.com and type Boliy to see a lot of discussions. We are stocking all parts for the generator. We are still signing up new dealers. Currently, service is available from us in San Diego. However, most of the problems can be resolve with a phone call or change of spark plug. A lot of people are worry about service but actually doesn't turn out to be a problem at all.

Best regards,

Will

************************************************** ***********************************************

In a message dated 7/12/2007 6:58:26 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, sales@xtremegadget.com writes:
We are selling the Boliy for $990 on Home

XlsWalt@aol.com wrote:
Hi again,

As an additional thought since my initial response that I'm shopping -- if you're interested in potential new dealers, try info@harvey-marine.com . They're a great shop (Been using them for many years) & they handle Kipor. If they became a dealer, you'd have a bunch of Intel engineers as a potential market (Hillsboro, OR).

Walt

************************************************** ******************************

In a message dated 7/12/2007 6:19:56 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, sales@xtremegadget.com writes:
Walt,

Yes, we are the Boliy generator distributor in US. Are you interest in buying one or become a dealer?

Wellington

Old 07-13-2007, 05:23 AM   #20
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
My $.02

Some people buy a Honda generator because they know they can be serviced almost anywhere. Others buy them because they know they won't have to be.