Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2008, 09:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
Rancho Palos Verdes , California
Boliy Generators

I was at the Southwest Coaches dealership in Irvine CA today and saw a Boily 300 watt generator- it weighed about 70 lbs which makes it actually portable. It will power the A/C, which is what I am looking for. Has anyone heard of these before or better yet does anyone own one? I think they're made in China, but they come with a 2 year warranty and cost about $1,100, so Im pretty interested. Jot
Old 02-15-2008, 09:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Jot. Yes, this has been discussed. Our search function sometimes leaves something to be desired. It does very well when you have a single search word. I'd do just that on the term Boliy. I'm more than happy with my Honda which is purring along at 3 years of age. I bought it for reliability and hardly think of what warranty I might have had. Honda has a track record.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:57 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I've looked at them also, and would also like to hear from someone who has used one.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:45 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Thanks- Im still learning how to navigate this massive store of information. I have a Honda 4 stroke outboard that Ive had for years- very reliable. Heavy and hard-starting, but reliable.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHollenbeck
I was at the Southwest Coaches dealership in Irvine CA today and saw a Boily 300 watt generator- it weighed about 70 lbs which makes it actually portable. It will power the A/C, which is what I am looking for. Has anyone heard of these before or better yet does anyone own one? I think they're made in China, but they come with a 2 year warranty and cost about $1,100, so Im pretty interested. Jot
How does a 300 watt generator power a 1800 watt airconditioner?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
For $ll00.00, I'm betting that's a type-O and he means 3000.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Here's a link to their website. If you do a search on rv.net forums there are some threads by people who bought them and gave their experiences with them.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
How does a 300 watt generator power a 1800 watt airconditioner?

Andy
Not very well.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:37 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Sounds to good to be true. At a price of 999.00, I wonder where it is made.
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:12 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

I meant 3000 watts. The guys at the Airstream dealership said they hooked it up to an Excella and it powered the A/C just fine. These generators are made in China, which makes me a bit concerned about long term reliability.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:36 AM   #11
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHollenbeck
...These generators are made in China, which makes me a bit concerned about long term reliability.
don't be concerned about long term reliability...

they are intended to be disposable units, according to the dealer here selling them.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f206...ors-38059.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...rue-34134.html

i'll stick with honda or yama or even onan...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:51 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
The Boily 3000 30 amp generator set continues to interest me, too. As others have mentioned, the Boliy has been the subject of discussion on RV.com in the past. If I recall correctly, the early units imported had some longevity issues which resulted in a design revision by the manufacturer.

As a point of information, if you are buying from Wally World, you are buying predominantly Chinese manufactured goods. Many brands of mowers and other small engine tools and appliances previously built in the USA are now bearing the "Made in China" logo. I'll leave it to you to determine whether you are willing to support the export of jobs previously held by working stiffs in Tecumsah and Milwaukee (amongst many others). I, for one, had no problem buying an offshore small gen set by Japanese manufacturer Honda as I know it was built right here in the USA. I've never had a problem buying Swedish chainsaws from Jonsered and Husqvarna nor from the number one chainsaw manufacturerer in the world, Switzerland's Stihl A.G. I own a Honda car manufactured in California and a Chevy 3/4 ton 4wd made in Winthrop, Canada.

The biggest problem with the Boily is the lack of a comprehensive parts and service network. Then again, not everyone is bothered by that. Currently, there are regional service centers available to provide parts access and service information to the marketplace. Not so different from Jonsered or Husqvarna 30 years ago... or Airstream as recently as ?

I wish I had an extra grand available to experiment with these generators as it's just now warming up down here in Louisiana and the need for A/C when inside is not far away. I can't use my Honda to power the A/C and there is no 30 amp hookup available here.

BTW, I neither work for Boily or any of its subsidiaries, nor am I a stock or stakeholder.
olddog299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:38 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Any time a thread that disusses the relative virtues of Chinese made products pops up, I get an upwelling of not-so-nice feelings pertaining to those that:

*contribute to the greed of the US suppliers that sell this substandard stuff

*hasten the demise of the US manufacturing sector by supporting the Chinese products

*increase the tempo of the great transfer of technology to China, which in case you forgot, is still a Communist regime hostile to the US and will eventually use this technology that we so eely send over there in the name of Capitalism against us in some form

*quality comes at a price......and if I can't find the US made product I need, I'll gladly go to Germany, Britain, Italy, or any of the other Allies' products that we have in this big world.......NOT CHINA

I don't shop at Wal*Mart (THEY should be flying the Chinese flag right below the good old Stars and Stripes, IMHO) because I have no desire to support the economy of China to save a few bucks.......and here-in lies the rub. If it comes to buying cheap Chinese or more expensive US....I'll take the US every time and if I ca't afford it..........I'll wait 'till I can!!!!!!!!!!!!

Folks gravitate to Chinese products to save some $$$$$ on the purchase price, but it WILL come back to bite them when THEIR job is outsourced to China or somewhere else!

Thanks for listening.....rant over!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:43 AM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Many of the items we get from China are using "borrowed" technology. China doesn't always honor patents, and some of the items you buy are virtually identical to other manufacturers' stuff. While I don't approve of, or condone such practices, if you buy something that China has copied and sold, you usually will get something that performs reasonably well for a reasonable price. I don't know if I would roll the dice on something as high-dollar as a generator, I would probably go with a less-expensive name brand model. There are several generators out there that sport Honda prime movers (engines), it may be good to take a look at those instead.

on edit, the forums says I've gotta spread some karma around before giving you more, Lew...
Old 02-17-2008, 08:47 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
Thanks, Lew. Couldn't have said it half as good as you did.
regards
herrgirdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:36 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
My Pleasure!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-17-2008, 12:25 PM   #17
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Ya know, the best thing about my totally rehabed 89 Excella?.............The fact that I am totally self contained...........All I have to do is walk down to the spring and get my water..........yes, as long as I can get gas for the generator that will also help.

Some folks it seem don't remember the past to well or definately do not believe about history repeating itself............Russian overflights with Bear bombers, Chavez rantings and oil boycots, Iran,China,and VZ having summit conferences, China being able to shoot down satelites.............on and on...........
When the EMP bursts over Las Vegas, Omaha, St. Louis, and Washington I can just be thankful that I have the "old" not made in China technology and hang in till the dust clears......................Thanks Lew........God Bless.....Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:04 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDarrow
Ya know, the best thing about my totally rehabed 89 Excella?.............The fact that I am totally self contained...........All I have to do is walk down to the spring and get my water..........yes, as long as I can get gas for the generator that will also help.

Some folks it seem don't remember the past to well or definately do not believe about history repeating itself............Russian overflights with Bear bombers, Chavez rantings and oil boycots, Iran,China,and VZ having summit conferences, China being able to shoot down satelites.............on and on...........
When the EMP bursts over Las Vegas, Omaha, St. Louis, and Washington I can just be thankful that I have the "old" not made in China technology and hang in till the dust clears......................Thanks Lew........God Bless.....Dennis
Old 02-17-2008, 01:06 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDarrow
HELP, HELP, i've fallen and i can't get up... there's black helicopters all around me...

*PLACE ALUMINUM HAT ON HEAD*

now i'm off the radar...

and

safe!

k.
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:31 PM   #20
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo10
HELP, HELP, i've fallen and i can't get up... there's black helicopters all around me...

*PLACE ALUMINUM HAT ON HEAD*

now i'm off the radar...

and

safe!

k.
Is it still paranoia if they really are after you?
In all seriousness, if China really wants this country, all they'll have to do is wait until we owe it to them, then call the note due. Game over, fair and square, without a shot being fired.
Yes, I'm an opinionated cuss, I could go on, but I think I've said enough. The thread is, after all, about a brand of generator, and not about international trade, and our opinion of it.