Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,312
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Blue generators are now sold..........

Hi, it has been announced that Camping World has seen the light, and now, sells those famous blue generators. [by Yamaha] FYI
__________________

__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,719
Those red ones are OK, but the blue,,,, oooooh baby!
__________________

__________________
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
AWCHIEF's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,197
Images: 33
Are the "blue" ones really that much better than the "red" ones? Been thinking about buying one soon.
__________________
MICHAEL

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
Bruce B's Avatar

 
2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,391
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Are the "blue" ones really that much better than the "red" ones? Been thinking about buying one soon.
I own one of each. They are both nicely done. I can't think of why one might better than another in general terms and I'd access my needs on a model by model basis.
Bruce
__________________
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
AWCHIEF's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,197
Images: 33
How about the dB levels, which one do you think is the most neighbor friendly. To me there is not much more annoying someone elses loud generator running when I am trying to relax. I don't want to be that someone else.
__________________
MICHAEL

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
Bruce B's Avatar

 
2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,391
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
How about the dB levels, which one do you think is the most neighbor friendly. To me there is not much more annoying someone elses loud generator running when I am trying to relax. I don't want to be that someone else.
The manufacturers post actual dB levels on their websites. The king of quiet is the Honda EU-3000! I did see a European spec that had "subjective" noise levels (think wind chill) and the results were much closer for the various generators. The EU-3000 is very quiet though. I was amazed, especially if you direct the exhaust away from where you are listening from. It is however not the lightest generator in its size range. Decisions, decisions.....
Bruce
__________________
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
TG Twinkie's Avatar
 
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,150
Images: 2
Blog Entries: 5
When you look at the DB level. Pay attention to the distance it is measured. Some of the less expensive brands claim to be as quiet, but the measurement is taken significantly further away.
__________________
Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
AWCHIEF's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,197
Images: 33
Thanks guys, but I know a bit about dB measurement, I was an acoustic analyst for 20 years. Interested in real world experience, either from current owners or annoyed neighbors that have had to endure loud generators running at odd hours.
__________________
MICHAEL

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
 
10Smiles's Avatar
 
2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 238
I have the "blue" generator. One thing I like about it (besides the color) is that it has a fuel shutoff valve. As I recall, the "red" generator does not. I am sure I will hear if I am wrong though.
__________________
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
Bruce B's Avatar

 
2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,391
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Smiles View Post
I have the "blue" generator. One thing I like about it (besides the color) is that it has a fuel shutoff valve. As I recall, the "red" generator does not. I am sure I will hear if I am wrong though.
Hear, hear!!
You are wrong. The Honda "on-off" switch is also a fuel cutoff switch.
I still love my EU-3000. It has a nice mellow sound, low rpm's just really nice....
Bruce
__________________
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
Denis4x4's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,111
Even though I live in a small town, there are at least three authorized Honda repair shops in the area with parts on the shelf. MC dealers are not authorized to work on Yamaha generators.
__________________
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,442
The Honda ON/OFF switch does cut-off the fuel, but it disconnects the ignition at the same time, leaving fuel in the carburetor bowl. It would be nice if the fuel cut-off was separate, so the carburetor could be run dry. There are ways to get around this, but it would have been nice, if designed that way.

By the way, Honda EU2000i is very quiet. When generator is running, I have walked to a neighboring camp spot in National Forest and state campgrounds, which have a little spacing between sites, and it is barely audible. If you can even hear the generator, it is hard to tell where the sound is coming from. Honda 1000 is even quieter, but have never heard a 3000. Yamaha sound levels seem to be the same, and are indistinguishable from Hondas until you get close enough to see the color of the case.

We often put our Honda under the picnic table at the end farthest from the road and point the exhaust away from all camp sites. That way, the sound doesn't bother us either; and the generator is usually protected from rain, too.
__________________
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
Fyrzowt's Avatar
 
2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,697
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
The Honda ON/OFF switch does cut-off the fuel, but it disconnects the ignition at the same time, leaving fuel in the carburetor bowl. It would be nice if the fuel cut-off was separate, so the carburetor could be run dry. There are ways to get around this, but it would have been nice, if designed that way.

By the way, Honda EU2000i is very quiet. When generator is running, I have walked to a neighboring camp spot in National Forest and state campgrounds, which have a little spacing between sites, and it is barely audible. If you can even hear the generator, it is hard to tell where the sound is coming from. Honda 1000 is even quieter, but have never heard a 3000. Yamaha sound levels seem to be the same, and are indistinguishable from Hondas until you get close to see the color of the case.
I can't speak to the 1K or 2K Honda, but the EU 3000 has both a fuel shut-off as well as an ignition switch.
__________________

__________________
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.