Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #41
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Do you think they would handle a new 15,000 btu a/c at 7100 ft?
Old 05-25-2011, 08:54 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Do you think they would handle a new 15,000 btu a/c at 7100 ft?
If the Honda doesn't handle your issue, I'll bet the Yamaha 2400 will.
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:05 AM   #43
one of those

2011 27 FB International
But it was two Hondas running wired parallel....right? That's 4 KW. That's gotta be more oomph than the best specsmanship Yamaha can come up with at 2.4 kw in one package.

I might be reading the Yamaha site wrong, but doesn't it say you need more than their 2400 just to run an electric skillet, a 65 watt heating pad and a lightbulb?
Old 05-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Both Yamaha and Honda make 2000w units that can be hook in parallel and both companies also make larger gens that are just one unit. And both companies make excellent products.
Look at the product pages of both companies for more info.
Just what color do you like?
Blue or red?
Old 05-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #45
one of those

2011 27 FB International
well, at mid morning today, my thinking is that having two identical generators has some merit in itself logistically for remote camping. I once had a previous life in which 100% backup, MTBF and MTTR all meant a lot. We could keep all the essential power in the trailer going on one generator should the other have issues. And by definition I would likely have enough parts to keep at least one of them running most of the time. Not that I don't trust Yamaha, but lets just say I probably no longer trust them nearly as much as you guys do. (Think outboards. Think HPDI. Yamaha does, indeed, screw up.)

I could change oil, clean carb, re-gap plug, etc. on one generator during daylight hours instead of by flashlight at night when we can turn it off for maintenance. I could run a circular saw remotely to build a chair or picnic table on one generator while the other one continues to power the internet and television in the trailer. Are the new 27FB televisions just ac powered? I didn't think to look.

Being able to easily handle and distribute the weight of two smaller generators could be an asset, and at 50 lbs they could double as single barbells for me. And other, smaller people could move them around should that need ever manifest itself. And you KNOW how unanticipated needs tend to manifest themselves. It's the anticipated ones that you don't need to worry about any more.

If someone stole one generator that was sitting outside the truck, I would still have the other one to use while I tracked him down and found a place to bury the body.

Hey, just a random thought, but if you used two generators to fire up the airconditioner, and then set the thermostat on REALLY cold so that the compressor did not kick off.....could you then shut down one generator and maintain the air con on one of them as long as you kept it running?
Old 05-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I can't think of a better way to end of hard day of driving than to pull into a camping spot and my neighbor starts to do curls with his Honda generators and starts up his circular saw and begins to make table and chairs.
The only things missing is a cockfighting ring, a keg, and 10 good o'l boys riding in circles whoopin and holler'n in the back of their ol pick up.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
....>snip<.....

Hey, just a random thought, but if you used two generators to fire up the airconditioner, and then set the thermostat on REALLY cold so that the compressor did not kick off.....could you then shut down one generator and maintain the air con on one of them as long as you kept it running?
Hmmm. You should have both gennies running as long as you are operating your AC. If you don't need to cool ... you could turn off the AC and then turn one of the generators off. It's OK to run just one generator even if they are hooked up for parallel operation. (In our case, we have a "Companion" so that is the one we would leave running while the AC is not needed.)
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:34 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I know this is an old thread. I did get a recent quote from Wise Sales the first of May. A pair of EU2000I 's $1899,shipped . NO TAX and NO SHIPPING CHARGES.
Looks like the price has gone up a bit since this thread was started. I have also seen some extended run items for the Honda's.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:56 AM   #49
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I can't think of a better way to end of hard day of driving than to pull into a camping spot and my neighbor starts to do curls with his Honda generators and starts up his circular saw and begins to make table and chairs.
The only things missing is a cockfighting ring, a keg, and 10 good o'l boys riding in circles whoopin and holler'n in the back of their ol pick up.
Nah, won't happen. I hate crowds. I don't gamble. And I quit drinking years ago.

But I am curious as to why you would choose a camping spot next to people like that? I bet yer an arm wrassler, ain't ya...

(and you won't run into us at very many camping spots. We'll be spending most of our AS time in the middle of a 35 acre piece of Colorado we bought last year. We'll be airstreaming while we build on the property. You won't even be able to get close enough to us to see if we are there or not. Your women and livestock are safe.

for now....)
Old 05-26-2011, 06:08 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Phew! That's a relief. The sheep are safe.

Pretty funny stuff, I must say.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:28 AM   #51
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Hmmm. You should have both gennies running as long as you are operating your AC. If you don't need to cool ... you could turn off the AC and then turn one of the generators off. It's OK to run just one generator even if they are hooked up for parallel operation. (In our case, we have a "Companion" so that is the one we would leave running while the AC is not needed.)
Okay. Makes sense.
I had asked because back a couple years when we were talking to a lot of other sailors, I got into a conversation with a retired electronicker who has the Mermaid 16.5 btu in his catamaran. He had a small genny, I think it was Yamaha 2000. It was back when I was first aware of these little portables. He set up some switches, so that he had his procedure where he used the generator to power up the ac compressor first, with everything else on the load cut out by a switch. Once he had the compressor 'booted' up, he cut in the blower, etc.

Some sailors hate having small tanks of gasoline on board much more than some pickup truck drivers do. But carrying something like five gallons is pretty standard for dinghy outboards and a small genny for charging batts and sometimes running the ac.

I've tried to find a post from this guy on the boat, but now I am starting to think it must have been in private email correspondence while we were considering buying his catamaran.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
I know this is an old thread. I did get a recent quote from Wise Sales the first of May. A pair of EU2000I 's $1899,shipped . NO TAX and NO SHIPPING CHARGES.
Looks like the price has gone up a bit since this thread was started. I have also seen some extended run items for the Honda's.
Just called Wise about 10 minutes ago. I live in Illinois about an hour away from them. Since I'm in IL, I'd have to pay tax.
They quoted, for a walk in (free shipping not needed) cash transaction, $1900, tax included, for the EU200i combo package which includes the cable and 30Amp adapter.

I'll add 2 hour meters to the discussion, and I'll see them in the morning.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote