Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2017, 04:17 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Hoses

Not sure if you guys checked out Amazon for your propane hoses and connectors, but that is where I got mine. I got 2 different length hoses and quick disconnect so I can easily hook them together if needed to make them longer.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:23 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Not sure if you guys checked out Amazon for your propane hoses and connectors, but that is where I got mine. I got 2 different length hoses and quick disconnect so I can easily hook them together if needed to make them longer.

I looked at Amazon but could not find an LP hose with the quick disconnects on both ends which is what I needed to connect the generator to the Airstream. Plus I wanted 20 ft. to give flexibility on placement of the generator. I also had a 20 ft. Hose made for my grill. Works great.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:30 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe7009 View Post
I only got one regulator with my Champion. Don't just take my word for it. Maybe verify with Champion before you try it my way! By the way, there is a 3500 dual fuel that is the same money as the 3400. A little extra never hurt, right?
Before I ordered mine, I called Champion. They told me the 3400 and 3500 are exactly the same units. They just decal the 3500 for Camping World and a few others. I got a better deal on the 3400.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:37 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
Before I ordered mine, I called Champion. They told me the 3400 and 3500 are exactly the same units. They just decal the 3500 for Camping World and a few others. I got a better deal on the 3400.

Perfect!
Old 03-10-2017, 08:14 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Roadtech, I paid significantly less as well. Caught in sale for $1K. Thanks for the info on the 3400 vs 3500. Always a marketing ploy out there somewhere.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:35 AM   #66

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2017 28' Tommy Bahama
Knoxville , Tennessee
We pull our 27' with a MB ML350 and get asked how that itsy-bitsy SUV can pull that trailer. I can only imagine how often you get asked that question pulling a 31', lol.
Ayatrolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:06 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
We used the new Dualfuel for past 2 weeks all over in Canada and Northern Montana Rockies...a single 20# propane bottle used 20 hours, and still had ~4# left.

I did not have the right connections for using the propane connection QD from front of the AS. I was able to get a 20' custom hose made pretty easy from propane dealer, but ironically, they did not have the male or female QD fittings in stock. I went to 3 different towns looking...ended up at ACE hardware store. (could have ordered the right parts on Amazon in the first place!)

I put the Champion regulator which came with the short 3' hose with the generator, in-line with my new longer 20' hose to the AS QD. All is well! Nice to have the portable 20# bottle in addition to the AS source as an option; gives flexibility to move around the generator if needed.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 09-12-2017, 10:08 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
We switched both Honda 2000 watt generators to propane and carry the one with the 30 amp receptacle in the 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI V6 diesel when towing the 2015 23D International Serenity. That single Honda 2000 when coupled with our 300 amp-hour lithium battery and Magnum hybrid MSH-3012 inverter can run the air conditioner if needed.

We can attach the Honda to the front "grill" propane outlet on the 23D's hitch or carry a 20 or 30 pound propane tank inside the Mercedes with no fumes.

We usually have both generators in the back of the truck when towing the 2014 31' Classic.
I recently got some bad gas from an Air Force base and one of my Honda generators quit while running (It ran out the good gas and when it got to the bad gas it quit) I was 2 days away from a month long trip so I took it to a trusted local small engine repair shop where they had 5 more Honda units lined up in front of me. They got me out the same day, but told me that running fuel with ethanol spelled trouble for the Honda carburetors. I paid $175 to be convinced that SeaFoam wasn't good enough and I now carry sixteen gallons of ethanol free fuel (my Tundra small gas tank "reserve" two five gallon cans as well as a 6 gallon marine tank). Ethanol free stations can be found all over the US on the Internet... and filling the travel reserve with ethanol free fuel gives me a generator reserve for only a small increase in price since I have never used the travel reserve for the truck.

I suggested to the mechanic who insisted that the ethanol free fuel treated with the marine version of the product named in the Honda manual will keep the generator running without ever experiencing this problem again. I suggested maybe I should switch to propane and he said it was possible but the generators became very unstable (unreliable?) on propane. Switz, have you ever had problems with propane Hondas?
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:44 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Just because a wrench-twister is called a mechanic doesn't mean he knows everything about what he works on. Propane does not make generators unreliable. It's a good and proven fuel.

The problem with modern automotive gasoline is it has so many aromatics in it these days that unless the fuel system is specifically designed for it... the carbs will corrode internally if stored with the stuff.

I run all my small engines completely out of gas (turn off the fuel) and then when the engine dies.... I take a little 10 mm box end wrench (usually) and remove the drain and drain it completely.

Alternatively, I use aviation gasoline in them and have no problem whatsoever. (Unfortunately, aviation gasoline isn't at corner gas stations and contains lead which is bad for spark plugs, valves, and sludge.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:55 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
No issues with either 2000 watt Honda generator converted to propane.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Just because a wrench-twister is called a mechanic doesn't mean he knows everything about what he works on. Propane does not make generators unreliable. It's a good and proven fuel.

The problem with modern automotive gasoline is it has so many aromatics in it these days that unless the fuel system is specifically designed for it... the carbs will corrode internally if stored with the stuff.

I run all my small engines completely out of gas (turn off the fuel) and then when the engine dies.... I take a little 10 mm box end wrench (usually) and remove the drain and drain it completely.

Alternatively, I use aviation gasoline in them and have no problem whatsoever. (Unfortunately, aviation gasoline isn't at corner gas stations and contains lead which is bad for spark plugs, valves, and sludge.)
I too am a fan of running small engines out of gas before storing them. Instead of opening the drain on the bowl, I wait until the engine dies then choke it and recrank it. Once it dies while choked there is no gas left in the bowl. Have been safely storing generators, lawn mowers, chainsaws, ect this way for 10+ years (since i had to rebuild the second carburetor due to ethanol crud). Ethanol fuel can varnish over in as little as two weeks if left sitting in a carburetor. Some of the newer small engine equipment is going the route of the auto industry and hiding important parts under a sea of plastic, which is the reason I adopted the above steps to storing my equipment.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:55 PM   #72
JWW
1 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
2008 23' International
2007 25' International CCD FB
some where , Colorado
One 2000 Honda will ruin your AC it is starting it that
requires two. Another option is to install a easy start which will allow you to run and start your ac with one generator. You need to know what you will using at the same time to know how big a generator you need.
JWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:58 AM   #73
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWW View Post
One 2000 Honda will ruin your AC it is starting it that
requires two. Another option is to install a easy start which will allow you to run and start your ac with one generator. You need to know what you will using at the same time to know how big a generator you need.
I'm sure JWW meant "run" not "ruin."
Old 09-19-2017, 06:07 AM   #74
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
We used the new Dualfuel for past 2 weeks all over in Canada and Northern Montana Rockies...a single 20# propane bottle used 20 hours, and still had ~4# left.

I did not have the right connections for using the propane connection QD from front of the AS. I was able to get a 20' custom hose made pretty easy from propane dealer, but ironically, they did not have the male or female QD fittings in stock. I went to 3 different towns looking...ended up at ACE hardware store. (could have ordered the right parts on Amazon in the first place!)

I put the Champion regulator which came with the short 3' hose with the generator, in-line with my new longer 20' hose to the AS QD. All is well! Nice to have the portable 20# bottle in addition to the AS source as an option; gives flexibility to move around the generator if needed.

Would you mind sending part numbers or sizes of the QD you used and the adapter used to fit it to the Champion regulator? I have looked at multiple propane dealers and hardware stores. None of them have the correct parts. Maybe a picture of your setup would helpful if you don't mind. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:09 AM   #75
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We tried to run our 16' Bambi AC off our Honda 2000 once and there just wasn't enough power. It didn't seem to wreck anything, but I think you'd need more generator power.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:40 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
minneapolis , Minnesota
For the price of a generator, you can switch to lithium ion batteries on a Bambi .. and drastically cut weight with the option to add a portable 150 watt solar panel that folds up in the future
cedonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:33 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Lithium batteries for price of a generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedonly View Post
For the price of a generator, you can switch to lithium ion batteries on a Bambi .. and drastically cut weight with the option to add a portable 150 watt solar panel that folds up in the future

Lithium's cost quite a bit, no??? It seems this discussion comes up a lot lately...there is another thread with "experts on batteries" which points out the lifespan of "any" of these batteries, is around 3 years...more if you take good care, perhaps. Point is, you may want to consider the Honda or Yamaha 2000 generator along with a MicroAir Easystart to run your AC as well as insurance to charging your batteries...(1 or 2 in Bambi?) Also, a portable solar is good to have assuming you are camping where good sun access...we have both. Check out this thread and post #16 for good input on this.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...ml#post1977385

Forgot to mention, we recently purchased a Champion Dualfuel 3400 generator and have been using it on propane for past couple months. Works great and eliminates the need for the MicroAir...it is around 95 pounds, however. Not an issue for me, but could be a hassle for some. it works, has electric start, and runs the AC and microwave just fine...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 05-21-2018, 04:54 AM   #78
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
New Paltz , New York
Does anyone have experience with the DuoMax 1600W dual fuel generator? we have a 2018 bambi, new to camping and are looking for option of both gas and propane and to run lights and refrigerator.
Bambi2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:46 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi2018 View Post
Does anyone have experience with the DuoMax 1600W dual fuel generator? we have a 2018 bambi, new to camping and are looking for option of both gas and propane and to run lights and refrigerator.
Not sure about your overall goals, but if just to run lights and refer; I would seriously look at capability to run your AC also so that's a bit bigger unit. I doubt seriously, that you will run both gas and propane...it will likely be one or the other. Propane means no gas rattling around in the back in a gas can, spillage, etc....propane means perhaps a bit more cost, but no spillage. What are you most comfortable with...if gas is fine, there are 10x more choices...propane, not so much. In the end, before investing, make sure you know if you will want to run AC...that's a bigger unit.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:52 AM   #80
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Just us...

One Dual fuel Honda 2000i, always start on petrol to keep things clean & working.(used at home for emergencies & worksites, a bit more convenient on gasoline)
For storage..start on petrol let it warm-up, shut fuel valve, open bowl drain, run 'til stalls. Top up with e-free. Spray ptfe in cylinder. Always change oil before storage.
14th Season with no failures or issues. 1022hrs.
We managed ok without using the AC. If we camped hot a lot another 2000i would be got.👍
YMMV.
Bob
🇱🇷
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09127.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	367.9 KB
ID:	311685   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09205.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	134.4 KB