Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2015, 11:11 PM   #21
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Where will you be parked when you aren't plugged in? If you're off in the wilds you can pretty much do what you want, but most state and national park campgrounds (at least, where we've camped,) have strict hours for when you can and cannot run your generator. And take lots of extra gas if you'll be running your AC, fridge fan, TV, and computer pretty much non-stop.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:46 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Mister Wright
This doesn't address your generator question (as an aside...I have the Honda 2,000 pair and would recommend them)...my concern is the bold plan of full-timing in a 16ft. Bambi. One thing that will make your life easier (and running the generator less) is to get a couple of solar showers...they are cheap...work like a charm...you use them outside the small bathroom...and don't require a power source. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:04 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Hartselle , Alabama
I went with the Yamaha 2400 and have been very pleased. It starts and runs my Coleman 13.5 in heat or cooling mode, as well as keeping the TV going and the food hot.
yourplce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:33 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
So you dont need to run another generator in parallel? I looked at the Yamaha 2400. Still pricey. I can get two Ryobi 2200 for the same price.
adamwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:08 PM   #25
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

>>>>"I'm going to buck the conventional wisdom here and recommend you get a bigger XXXXXXXXX.<<<<<<

Trailer.

Gob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:26 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
for my Sport 16....

I went with the Yamaha EF2400iS. But I bought it through US Carb already converted to TRI-FUEL. Gasoline, natural gas, or propane. I hook it up thru the Sport's bbq connection in the front. It runs a long time on propane, right from the AS tanks.

It is powerful enough to run the AC, or anything else onboard, including my Cuisinart convection toaster oven.

It is very quiet. Inside you can barely hear it run. Outside, you can easily carry on a conversation with it running nearby.

Once I did the break-in with gasoline, and got the adjustments right, it usually starts on the first or second pull (if I remember to push the air purge button first, that is),

I am very happy with it. I did a lot of research before deciding. While the Hondas are excellent units, as well, I am glad I did not go with connecting 2 2000 units together. I would end up taking both units all the time, weighing more and using up more space.

Using propane is the only way to go. No fumes inside the tv, as with gasoline (although I keep some gas in it, but it seals so tight I never smell it). Burns cleaner and longer, too.

Also, if you buy it already converted by USCarb, your 3 year warranty will still be good. If you convert it yourself, that may not apply, (but it is cheaper to do it yourself).

If I were doing full/part timing in my 16, this is the only power unit I would use.

Good luck.

Yamaha EF2400iSHC Generator
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:00 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Fresno , California
Has anyone installed a Cummins Onan QG 3.6 Propane RV Generator on their Sport 16 and if so, where/how??? I'm disabled and cannot lift even the small Hondas. I have a pair that I hook together and run in parallel and they do start the AC Up, which is a MUST in FL, but I just can't lift these and asking about mounting them anywhere turns into a MASSIVE ordeal with debates on it cracking the trailer frame, separating the trailer from the frame, etc...it just seems with the sports coming with 2 propane tanks that the Cummins Onan QG 3.6 Propane RV Generator would be the way to go but the issue then becomes where and how to house.

It's amazing how places will sell these RVs and then crickets when you ask for help with power....
barbaralarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:56 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to jtwind Send a message via MSN to jtwind Send a message via Yahoo to jtwind
I can't imagine where you'd put that in the trailer. I had a 2014 16' Bambi and now have a 2017 19C. What is your tow vehicle? Can you find a place to mount it and leave it there and run it that way?
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:33 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Fresno , California
Unhappy Tow Vehicle, not an option...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwind View Post
I can't imagine where you'd put that in the trailer. I had a 2014 16' Bambi and now have a 2017 19C. What is your tow vehicle? Can you find a place to mount it and leave it there and run it that way?
Thank you for your comments. My tow vehicle is a Lexus Rx350 in immaculate condition (other than the damage to the engine done by the Airstream Dealer...do NOT buy from Orlando RV!!!) and so no, there's no place to mount and leave a generator on this vehicle. The dealer just installing the brake controller has caused extensive damage to my vehicle
Old 11-19-2016, 04:46 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauryn View Post
Thank you for your comments. My tow vehicle is a Lexus Rx350 in immaculate condition (other than the damage to the engine done by the Airstream Dealer...do NOT buy from Orlando RV!!!) and so no, there's no place to mount and leave a generator on this vehicle. The dealer just installing the brake controller has caused extensive damage to my vehicle
The problem with carrying a generator in an SUV is the odor from the generator, and the small space in most mid size SUV. My 3000W inverter generator took up most of the rear space in my Grand Cherokee. And the gas cans have to go somewhere too, unless you use propane.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 05:24 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We switched both Honda 2000 watt generators to propane and carry the one with the 30 amp receptacle in the 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI V6 diesel when towing the 2015 23D International Serenity. That single Honda 2000 when coupled with our 300 amp-hour lithium battery and Magnum hybrid MSH-3012 inverter can run the air conditioner if needed.

We can attach the Honda to the front "grill" propane outlet on the 23D's hitch or carry a 20 or 30 pound propane tank inside the Mercedes with no fumes.

We usually have both generators in the back of the truck when towing the 2014 31' Classic.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:34 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to jtwind Send a message via MSN to jtwind Send a message via Yahoo to jtwind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
The problem with carrying a generator in an SUV is the odor from the generator, and the small space in most mid size SUV. My 3000W inverter generator took up most of the rear space in my Grand Cherokee. And the gas cans have to go somewhere too, unless you use propane.
Then it seems you are trying to make space where there is none. Something has to give, larger trailer or different tow vehicle!
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:55 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwind View Post
Then it seems you are trying to make space where there is none. Something has to give, larger trailer or different tow vehicle!
I would never carry gas or a generator in the trailer, no matter how big. I made space in my new 1-ton pickup.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:30 AM   #34

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The class act of the portable generators in my opinion are Honda and Yamaha. Key to me in the choice of generator is the fueling source. I personally can't condone carrying gasoline and a multi fueled unit is highly desirable. There are some great conversions available that address Honda and Yamaha.

My reasonings for carrying a generator are totally a health and safety issue rather than the ability to get off the grid. I'm lucky that I use a 3/4 ton passenger van as my tow vehicle with provides lots of good storage for things we bring with us. I also made the decision to carry one generator and sized to run the important appliances in the trailer. This means lights, heat, fans, the electronics needed to run the fridge and water heater on gas, and finally necessary medical equipment we carry with this. My 2K Yamaha will do this job nicely.

As I noted the alternate fuel choice is important and my generator will run on gasoline, natural gas, and propane. With abundant propane on the Airstream, I'm always carrying a supply of fresh fuel. I have a natural gas quick connect at home and already have had to use it for a 5 hour loss of power that occurred earlier this fall.

Generators running propane or natural gas don't smell when stored in the tow vehicle and burn cleaner than gas only generators. In addition if you use the generator infrequently, you don't have to worry about gas supplies going bad or ethanol based gas attracting moisture as it sits. No draining the carburetors either.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 11:15 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Fresno , California
Propane Longevity and Cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
I went with the Yamaha EF2400iS.....

Using propane is the only way to go. No fumes inside the tv, as with gasoline (although I keep some gas in it, but it seals so tight I never smell it). Burns cleaner and longer, too.

Yamaha EF2400iSHC Generator
The idea of using propane is very appealing as there are the 2 on board tanks there already, so no mess dealing with gas (and my hondas have already created a leaking mess on the beautiful new floor inside my bambi) but I was under the impression that a propane generator would consume the fuel from the 2 tanks pretty quickly and at far greater cost an inconvenience than gas (which is easily refilled while traveling)...am I mistaken here? Do you use your generator to power your AC in some serious heat (FL is almost always a hot, miserable nightmare)...while I have no plans to go on extended trips, the trips I take I do need to run the ac up to 16 hours per day for maybe 3-4 days in a row. I don't know if propane is a reasonable solution to my situation (or a cost effective one). Your thoughts???
Old 02-12-2017, 12:06 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
The idea of using propane is very appealing as there are the 2 on board tanks there already, so no mess dealing with gas (and my hondas have already created a leaking mess on the beautiful new floor inside my bambi) but I was under the impression that a propane generator would consume the fuel from the 2 tanks pretty quickly and at far greater cost an inconvenience than gas (which is easily refilled while traveling)...am I mistaken here? Do you use your generator to power your AC in some serious heat (FL is almost always a hot, miserable nightmare)...while I have no plans to go on extended trips, the trips I take I do need to run the ac up to 16 hours per day for maybe 3-4 days in a row. I don't know if propane is a reasonable solution to my situation (or a cost effective one). Your thoughts???
Nope, the opposite is true, and I have a 16', just like you. Gas tank is small...gas is very smelly. Propane tanks still last a long time...almost no smell and MUCH cheaper. The price per gallon may be higher, but propane goes sooo much longer, it's not even close. Do it! You won't regret it. And yes, I do use the generator to run my a/c in serious heat.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:54 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Fresno , California
TY for the 411 on Propane!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
Nope, the opposite is true, and I have a 16', just like you. Gas tank is small...gas is very smelly. Propane tanks still last a long time...almost no smell and MUCH cheaper. The price per gallon may be higher, but propane goes sooo much longer, it's not even close. Do it! You won't regret it. And yes, I do use the generator to run my a/c in serious heat.
1. TY So much for the update as this is crucial info! I'm racking my brain over how to mount 2 hondas to my frame plus how to deal with gas on top of it when I can get a big dual fuel champion on wheels that will wipe those other issues away and being duel fuel, IF I run out of propane, then no biggie...I can get gas!

2. I just watch the Ryobi guy's post and honestly just took everyone's word for it that my Bambi couldn't run on a single honda without even trying it, and that's need to know info imho and will help me determine if the Champion 3100 is really going to be the solution to everything, not to mention not having to drag around 2 hondas in the meantime if one will actually do the job. I do NOT mind having to turn off the AC to run the microwave for a couple minutes.

I really appreciate the update though and if you could go one step further with an eta of total run time you could expect to get out of a 20 gal tank, that would be awesome I'm guessing that I'll eventually be retiring the hondas and opt for propane. That would be SO MUCH EASIER!
Old 02-13-2017, 12:08 AM   #38
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Fresno , California
Talking More info on setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
We switched both Honda 2000 watt generators to propane and carry the one with the 30 amp receptacle in the 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI V6 diesel when towing the 2015 23D International Serenity. That single Honda 2000 when coupled with our 300 amp-hour lithium battery and Magnum hybrid MSH-3012 inverter can run the air conditioner if needed.

We can attach the Honda to the front "grill" propane outlet on the 23D's hitch or carry a 20 or 30 pound propane tank inside the Mercedes with no fumes.

We usually have both generators in the back of the truck when towing the 2014 31' Classic.
Also a great sounding solution. Can you explain a bit more? It's possible to convert the regular Hondas to propane? I suppose my retailer could help there, but not necessarily. Your Airstream stock was replaced with the lithium battery, correct? Could you share brand and other specs? As for the Magnum hybrid MSH-3012 inverter, I'm new to this and that sailed right over my head...but geez, yeah...even carrying extra propane tanks vs. gas solves the who mess of leaks, smells, etc...and to not have to refuel or have a constant gas setup to get you through the night, okay...I'm sold! The propane people have me listening and very excited now where I was really beginning to feel some despair. Then eventually adding solar to the mix should turn something complicated into something very easy and workable.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:13 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
1. TY So much for the update as this is crucial info! I'm racking my brain over how to mount 2 hondas to my frame plus how to deal with gas on top of it when I can get a big dual fuel champion on wheels that will wipe those other issues away and being duel fuel, IF I run out of propane, then no biggie...I can get gas!

2. I just watch the Ryobi guy's post and honestly just took everyone's word for it that my Bambi couldn't run on a single honda without even trying it, and that's need to know info imho and will help me determine if the Champion 3100 is really going to be the solution to everything, not to mention not having to drag around 2 hondas in the meantime if one will actually do the job. I do NOT mind having to turn off the AC to run the microwave for a couple minutes.

I really appreciate the update though and if you could go one step further with an eta of total run time you could expect to get out of a 20 gal tank, that would be awesome I'm guessing that I'll eventually be retiring the hondas and opt for propane. That would be SO MUCH EASIER!
My recommendation is based on myYamaha EF2400, which is very quiet and efficient and powerful enough to run my AC. I am not impressed with the Champions I have seen in campgrounds. They are very noisy, and I suspect they run very hot. I've seen them at places like Costco, and yes they are much cheaper. But sometimes you get what you pay for. I would recommend a Yamaha or Honda. Mine is the tri-fuel version, which is set up by USCarb, and is under the 3 year warranty (expired now). I can't give you an exact run time, but I have the 2 stock tanks that came with my Sport 16. I have gone dry camping with it for up to 4 days, and never ran out of propane. You could run it all night if you had to, on one tank. Gas would only last a few hours...the gas tank is very small, but I have used the gas to start it up and do adjustments before switching to propane. Usually you only have to do that one time, when you first break it in.

If you are looking at a Champion (or any other brand) you should look at reviews by people who have bought and used one. My review is only good for the Yamaha. Good luck!
Old 02-13-2017, 12:45 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Two generators require more maintenance than one. A larger single unit is what I'd prefer. Smaller generators will be working harder than lager which may reduce longevity.

Also, keep in mind that your computers will require clean, sine-wave power unless you are using units which have "brick" type supply cords which reduce the AC current to DC.
If you use ordinary 120 volt electronics the inverter units may not produce sine-wave power, while a non-inverter generator produces sine-wave ...just like the electric company.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote