Old 01-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Battery charging

I plan to use my Honda EU3000i generator to keep my batteries charged during storage periods. I understand that it can be much more efficient to charge the batteries directly rather than through the electrical system. If so, then two questions:

- Is it necessary to disconnect the ground wire from the batteries before charging?

- Since the two batteries are connected in series, may they be charged at the same time or is it better to do them seperately?

Thanks.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hi Jack46,

Not necessary to disconnect the ground. Think of the generator as just another source of charging power – just like the trailer was connected to your TV. I would unplug the trailer from shore power while directly charging from the generator. Or at least shut off the converter.

You sure you mean wired in series? That would indicate that the negative from one battery is connected to the positive on the other battery, providing 24 volts. Unless they are 6 volt batteries. If they are 12 volt batteries, and both positives are connected together as well as both negatives, then they are wired in parallel, providing 12 volts to the trailer.

Anyway, whether they are 6 volt batteries wired in series, or a pair of 12 volts wired in parallel, then no, you should not need to disconnect them and charge them one at a time, provided both batteries are good. Charging them one at time can be beneficial if you think one of them is bad. Then you can isolate the bad battery easier as it either will not charge, or not hold a charge very long.

Chris

Old 01-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Hi Minno, Thanks. This has been very helpful.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Minno, They are in fact 12 volt batteries (Optima Blue Top AGM, a year old), wired in series, so I assume then that I would connect to the + lead on one battery and then to the - lead on the other? Or does it not make a difference? Thank again. Jack
Old 01-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
If they are 12V each then you would want them wired in parallel. See Minno's post above. I have a 1000 Honda generator and use a battery charger because of the higher amp rate options on the charger.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack46 View Post
Minno, They are in fact 12 volt batteries (Optima Blue Top AGM, a year old), wired in series, so I assume then that I would connect to the + lead on one battery and then to the - lead on the other? Or does it not make a difference? Thank again. Jack
Hi Jack,

Got a pic of the tops of the batteries and how they are wired together?

Chris
Old 01-31-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Jack...

First off, I'd think your AS has about a 50 amp charger on board that's part of the converter/charger - That's a high rate battery charger as it is, and will in most cases perform much better and trouble free than using an external battery charger - to say nothing of the bother of having to hook and unhood the charging leads, etc, etc...

The only other reason that comes to mind would be to hook an external 'float charger' to you batteries during storage of the AS, so you don't have to run the converter/charger all the time...

Second - SERIES hookup of batteries implies hooking POS of one battery to the NEG of the other battery, and then ADDs the voltages of both batteries TOGETHER, in your case 12 volts + 12 volts = 24 volts, which would NOT work of course...

PARALLEL hookup implies that the POS of one batt is hooked to the POS of the other battery, and the NEG on one is hooked to the NEG of the other - this keeps the VOLTAGE the same as the one battery, but ADDs the AMP HOUR capacity together, in your case with the blue top Optimas; 55 AH + 55AH = 110 total AH rating when fully charged.

I'd vote for using your onboard charging system, using too large of an external charger could result in overcharging your batteries and ruining them - ALSO, those Optimas will only tolerate so much of a charge - check their web site to get their recommendations on recharging - it's easy to do major harm to those batteries if not treated correctly...

Ray