Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2017, 06:00 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe7009 View Post
I own a Champion 3500. At 59 db it is only slightly louder than the Honda but not annoyingly so. Add two Hondas together and you will be louder than one Champion. Not sure how it takes up more room than two Hondas but I'll take your word for it, but you're still dealing with two pieces of equipment instead of one. Plus you will have spent more money to buy two. Then you have to buy the propane kit. The Champion is available as a dual fuel model for around $1,000 all in, if you catch it on sale. Three more advantages for me: wheels, integrated tow handle and it fits under my ReTrax pickup bed cover.
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. I agree with all of the comments elsewhere about the complications of retrofitting the Hondas to propane. I hadn't considered the height benefit of the Champion under a tonneau cover, so that's a significant advantage. You can still pair the Champions together for more power as a home back-up, too. I know what I'm buying now. Thanks mojoe (and other posters)!
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:12 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I just ran my Champion 3500 for 11 hours straight on a single 20 pound propane tank while running my 15000 btu AC. I love this thing.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:21 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wconley View Post
$850 at Costco. I've heard these are the same unit, just labeled differently for different stores but I haven't personally confirmed that. https://www.costco.com/Champion-DUAL...100284958.html
Not the same unit. The 3400 and the 3500 are the same unit rebranded for Camping World. Evidently Champion thought the 3400 was underrated, so they split the difference and called one a 3400 and the other 3500.

If I didn't love my Honda 3000, the Champion would be my next choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
I just ran my Champion 3500 for 11 hours straight on a single 20 pound propane tank while running my 15000 btu AC. I love this thing.
Did it run out? Or would it have gone longer than 11 hours?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:06 PM   #24
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
If you read the Q & A at the champion site, you'll read the lower rated model is for marketing by the distributor. I bought the 3500 in October, ran for a small bit on gasoline, left it full of non ethinol gas, boxed it up and pulled it out last month, started on the installed battery, hooked up the 50 amp shore cable with a dog bone, ran the trailer, both a/c's,one at a time. Ran great on gasoline and propane. My wife sitting 10' away could hear me taking to her as I stood over the generator.

If you plan to run on propane from the trailer connection, you must still use the champion regulator in line to the generator.

My EMS says don't hook up to inverter generators.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Anyone own the Champion 3500 watt inverter generator?

Does the EMS manual give a reason for not hooking up to an inverter genset? Something about 'floating Neutral' perhaps?
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:01 PM   #26
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
It's not descriptive, but yours is the probable reason.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:17 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Did it run out? Or would it have gone longer than 11 hours?

Yes, ran out.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:33 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
Champion Dual Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wconley View Post
$850 at Costco. I've heard these are the same unit, just labeled differently for different stores but I haven't personally confirmed that. https://www.costco.com/Champion-DUAL...100284958.html
Lots of info on these in previous Generator threads. Majority being positive.

We bought at Costco the 2800/3100 version Champion dual fuel /electric start year+ ago and VERY happy. The 3500 version is same noise, size and weight specs for 100.00 more so a better buy. If you compare all the aspects, hard not to like !

Love Hondas but think two 2ks with protruding external propane regulators out each side would still require similar or storage issues. If we could only harness ol red into propane gen we'd be set !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0642.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	295006  
Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:35 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Does the EMS manual give a reason for not hooking up to an inverter genset? Something about 'floating Neutral' perhaps?
A floating neutral generator can be converted quite easily to a non-floating neutral (bonded system.) Either do it internally (by pulling the outlets and connecting the WHITE wire side of the outlet to the ground-terminal) or EXTERNALLY (if you have a generator with two 120 volt outlets) by purchasing a male electrical plug and wiring the neutral (white) and the ground (green or "round" pin) together,...then simply plugging that male plug into one of the 12- volt outlets.

Now before anyone goes crazy over this suggestion, you might first read what OSHA says about it: Bonding Versus Grounding Bonding and grounding are separate requirements for generators and other electrical distribution systems. Grounding means the connection, or the establishment of a connection, of an electric circuit or equipment to reference ground, which includes the generator’s frame. Bonding is the intentional connection between the grounded circuit conductor (neutral) and the grounding means for the generator, which includes the generator’s frame. Thus, effective bonding of the neutral conductor to the generator’s frame is also a concern for the safe use of the equipment. As with grounding terminal connections, proper bonding of the neutral terminal of a power receptacle may be confirmed via testing by a competent electrician with the correct equipment, and the ohmic resistance should measure near zero and must not be intermittent, which indicates a loose connection.

This is exactly what I'm suggesting. The link to OSHA is: https://www.osha.gov/OshDoc/data_Hur..._generator.pdf

Here's a video of such:
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:19 AM   #30
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Click image for larger version

Name:	N-G Bonding Plug2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	295146
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding | No~Shock~Zone.pdf (308.3 KB, 85 views)
Old 09-18-2017, 01:19 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The Champion 3500 does not need this. I tested it with one of those cheapy plug testers.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:13 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

San Tan Valley , Arizona
My Champion 3500/3100 dual fuel will not work with external propane port

I see others have been successful running propane generators using the external low pressure port of their AS. I have a 2017 International Serenity 19ft. I connected my Champion Dual Fuel 3500/3100 watt generator to the outside propane port using the 6 ft propane hose that came with the AS that I added a 3/8 quick connect male fitting to attach to the generator. This hose does not have a regulator and relies on the internal AS regulator. I could not get enough propane pressure necessary to run my generator. I called Airstream Customer Service and they told me the AS internal regulator has pressure of an 11 in column of water (the measurement the regulator gave to AS. The AS Customer Service person said the external propane port is only meant to use with a small propane stove/grill and does not have enough pressure to run a generator. I also tested the generator by removing one of the 30 gal propane tanks from the AS and using the 6 ft hose and regulator that came with the generator. That worked fine. Does anyone know what I can do to get the external propane port to work with my generator?
AZBob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:21 AM   #33
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
I did same with my 3500 and Classic. Just bought the adapter to screw into the bottle fitting on genex regulator to use the quick disconnects from my 10' hose I built for same use as you and outdoor gas grill. Haven't assembled and tested, but if you read through the Champion Q&A on the model, others have said still need Champion regulator.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:28 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Moulton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by YippieKiYa View Post
I'm really curious to hear your thoughts on the sound level. I'm leaning toward the Honda 2000 series and pairing two of them, but this would provide me a propane option and more power. This model is rated at ~59db, which is a touch more than the Honda, but still very reasonable. I lifted one at a Camping World this weekend, and yes, it's a bit of a workout and takes up more space compared to the 44# Hondas.
I always run mine with propane (so clean burning) and on economy mode, it is quiet, very quiet. I did add an exhaust extension so that may help. Unless it has a high load it will run less rpm's which make it more quiet. Love it.
dannko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:47 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
2 Honda’s running at the same time both rated at 59db (according to Honda) would seem to louder than one Champion running at 59db. Once the Champion is out of the truck at least it has wheels and a folding handle to move it around. I leave ours in the bed of the truck and run it from there. Don’t have to get a pairing kit or a propane conversion kit if you get the dual fuel model. We love our Champion.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:46 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Hhmmmnnn....lessee now... slightly quieter than two running Hondas... more power than two running Hondas.... less expensive than two running Hondas....
less maintenance/fewer spark plugs/only one oil change to perform versus two Hondas.... TOUGH DECISION!
I would say it is about the same db as both Hondas running. It has less power than two Hondas (3500 vs. 4000), and ways far more than two Hondas. Also, I don't need two Hondas most of the time. I can use just one unless I want to run the air conditioner, and I can even do that with an Easy Start. To each his own....I use the Hondas.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:08 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
I would say it is about the same db as both Hondas running. It has less power than two Hondas (3500 vs. 4000), and ways far more than two Hondas. Also, I don't need two Hondas most of the time. I can use just one unless I want to run the air conditioner, and I can even do that with an Easy Start. To each his own....I use the Hondas.

The Champion is rated at 59db. Each Honda is rated at 59db, according to their website. So how can two devices putting out 59db each be as quiet as one device putting out 59db? Plus:
2 Hondas weigh 92lbs (each one is 46lbs) Champion does weigh in at a hefty 95.7lbs alone.
Honda, no wheels or folding handle. Champion has both.
Honda, no RV ready 30 amp outlet. Champion has an RV ready 30 amp outlet.
Honda requires a propane conversion kit. Champion is dual fuel capable.
Honda requires a parallel kit to get enough wattage to run an a/c unit. Champion has enough power to do it alone.
Honda is a pull start. Champion is electric start.
2 Hondas = $1998, Plus propane kit, plus parallel kit.
Champion 3500 = $1099 all in.
For me it was a fairly easy decision.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:24 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe7009 View Post

The Champion is rated at 59db. Each Honda is rated at 59db, according to their website. So how can two devices putting out 59db each be as quiet as one device putting out 59db?

[I]Look at the fine print. The Champion is 59db at 23' while the Honda is 59db at 9'! In addition, I typically run my Honda on Eco mode which takes it down to 53db.

Plus:
2 Hondas weigh 92lbs (each one is 46lbs) Champion does weigh in at a hefty 95.7lbs alone.

90+ lbs is heavy for anyone. My wife could not move it if needed. I typically just use one of the Hondas unless I am running the air conditioning.

Honda, no wheels or folding handle. Champion has both.

At just 46 lbs, Honda does not need wheels or a folding handle.

Honda, no RV ready 30 amp outlet. Champion has an RV ready 30 amp outlet.

Sure it does. Check out the Companion model. I have 4 outlets in total when I run both including a 30A.

Honda requires a propane conversion kit. Champion is dual fuel capable.

I upgraded mine to run on propane...no issue

Honda requires a parallel kit to get enough wattage to run an a/c unit.
Champion has enough power to do it alone.

Not necessarily true. Several on this site are running their AC with one Honda using a soft start device to handle the initial inrush of current.

Honda is a pull start. Champion is electric start.

Electric start is great, but it adds a lot of weight. If one would rather have the convenience of an electric start than a lighter weight, then go for it.

2 Hondas = $1998, Plus propane kit, plus parallel kit.
Champion 3500 = $1099 all in.

Okay...now you are at the major reason most people buy the Champion. No disagreement here!

For me it was a fairly easy decision.
Enjoy your Champion. You are obviously passionate about it.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:06 PM   #39
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Electric Power to use the Choke?

Anyone else had a problem of the Choke needing power external to the generator if generator battery is dead?
Old 09-10-2018, 08:46 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
Anyone else had a problem of the Choke needing power external to the generator if generator battery is dead?
Remember after getting ours, reading something saying the choke operates electronically.
(There’s a slight click as you operate the choke so could be internal limit switch).
Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote