Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
KMcB

2011 22' Sport
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Anyone have experience with unisolar flexible pv

I've been looking at these flexible panesl that seem like they might be an easy install. PowerBond « Uni-Solar Also my owners manual says I'm pre-wired. I thingk that means if i hook up the charge controller that is already in the unit will charge the battery, is that correct. Any help appreciated.
kmcbeeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California

My thoughts -

One is that the manufacturer not only went bankrupt, but is now undergoing liquidation. So no warranty. There are lots of new stories that mention Unisolar, Solyndra and Obama - draw your own conclusions...

Two is that the panels are not very efficient, which means they take up a lot of room for how much power they make - the 144 watt sheet is 213 inches long (18 feet) by 15 inches wide. That's 6.5 watts per square foot, compare to more traditional flat panels that produce more than 14 watts per square foot.

Three - you would need to make sure you pair with an MPPT type charge controller to use on an Airstream as these run at 30+ volts.

Four - what an amazingly great idea for an easy install for an airstream - just unroll it, press it down, and plug it in. No penetrations at all into your roof, no brackets - just peel and stick. Awesome. I love love love this idea.

Net is that this looks to me like a very cool product and right now no doubt due to the bankruptcy you can buy them super cheap on-line - $130 for 144 watts. But do you have a clear strip on your roof 18 feet long to paste one down?

If you do have room, it's a really cheap way to get started, but it takes up so much room you may have trouble expanding in the future. But at this fire sale price - around $100 after federal tax incentives - it would be a painless experiment to play with...
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
San Luis Obispo , California
We've also been researching this product for our 18' (obviously not the 144 watt mat but the smaller one) so we are interested in feedback as well. And the price seems to be better each day. Ddruker you found them online for $130?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruker
you can buy them super cheap on-line - $130 for 144 watts. But do you have a clear strip on your roof 18 feet long to paste one down?
Can you tell us where? We haven't seen them that low!

Thanks!

Happy to finally be part of the (t)in crowd!
bluemoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
I have a 75 watt self adhesive panel on the Excella. Works great and unobtrusive. Picture here

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...buy-80579.html

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Good prices on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Uni-Solar-PVL-.../dp/B002MWFFWM

This is the best deal. http://www.amazon.com/Unisolar-Flexi...d_sim_sbs_lg_1 128 watt for $180. I'm going to pick one up. I was looking at a 90 watt suitcase style for $500. But worried about it being stolen and having to move it. This is on the roof and effected by shade, but it won't be seen and I'm just looking for something to keep the batteries charged over weekend trips in the Desert..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:09 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
Google search is your friend - search for Unisolar 144 - or Unisolar PVL 144

https://www.google.com/search?q=unis...ient=firefox-a

Right away I find $138 in the very first set of seach results. Earlier today with a little more hunting I found $130 shipped and no tax on Ebay. Lots of places seem have them for around $160 including shipping and with no tax.

- Dan
Old 09-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Austin, TX & , Colorado
I've been looking at these quite a bit over the past year or two. It is a shame that the company went bankrupt and liquidated. It seems like a good product.

They recently came out with a newer panel (e-PVL) that was slightly more efficient. It raised my hopes as it is 14.5" wide rather than 15.5" wide meaning I could fit 4 - 68W panels on my 16ft Boles Aero. I am not sure how many of the newer panels were produced as the only place I've found to purchase sells them wholesale in a bundle of 50.

The pros are the install and that I prefer to park in shade. It's my understanding that they actually they are more shade tolerant than other panels. I'm interested in installing those on the roof and having a smaller traditional portable panel that I could mount in the sun or use for other applications.

But, if I can only fit two of the more commonly available PVL-68 panels on the roof - which would take up enough space so that I couldn't mount anymore panels - it doesn't make as much sense. eBay seems the best source for them right now.

Has anyone seen the e-PVL panels around?
bgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
I bought 2 of the ePVL-144 panels on ebay last week - $160 each shipped. There are several sellers on ebay.

I'm planning to cut each panel into two pieces to fit on my roof - I don't have a single clear strip 18 feet long by 15 inches wide up there - but I can easily handle a 14 foot and a four foot section for example. I found a couple of forums on-line where people had success in cutting the panels into sections and then re-connecting them, and there is no warranty to worry about voiding anyway...

The install is so much easier that regular rigid panels I decided to go this route. I will report back here on my progress once they arrive.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruker View Post
I bought 2 of the ePVL-144 panels on ebay last week - $160 each shipped. There are several sellers on ebay.

I'm planning to cut each panel into two pieces to fit on my roof - I don't have a single clear strip 18 feet long by 15 inches wide up there - but I can easily handle a 14 foot and a four foot section for example. I found a couple of forums on-line where people had success in cutting the panels into sections and then re-connecting them, and there is no warranty to worry about voiding anyway...

The install is so much easier that regular rigid panels I decided to go this route. I will report back here on my progress once they arrive.
You can cut them??? Do you just join the wires where you cut?

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
I'll know in a few days...

I do know for sure that you can cut across the strip, and the main portion that you retain will continue to work. Given I have 14 feet to work with, I should get about 112 watts from each 14 foot section.

According to several posts on the internet, you can also hook the cut pieces back up together again, which is what I am going to try to do - to hook back up the two left over 4 foot sections.

Here's an excerpt from one such post...

I have dissected a PVL-68 to create a foldable solar panel to use while in the back country. Reassembling it as a 2 X 2 array of 3, 3, 3, and 2 panels.

Doing so is not especially technically difficult, but is a bit involved mechanically. The biggest challenge is dealing with the three electrical busses that run down each side of the array, and the bypass diodes.

The PVL-68 is arrayed as 11 panels wired in series. More accurately, each panel is actually 2 cells. Each of the cells is wired independently on either side of the panel. The two series strings of cells are wired in parallel at the connector end of the array. Each cell has a bypass diode for a total of 22 cells and 22 diodes in the array.

I cut a PVL-68 into for segments of 3, 3, 3 and 2 panels. The 2 panel segment included the junction box and external connector cables.

Looking closely at a PVL array, it is easy to see the physical edges separating each panel, so slicing between the panels at the junction line is straight-forward - until you get to the edges, where the bypass diode and conductive busses transect the panel separator line.

The PVL series arrays are very well made. From the back is the cold-bonding mastic which allows these panels to 'peel and stick' to metal (and other) surfaces. The mastic is sticky (surprise!) but easy to scrape away. Above the mastic layer is a very tough plastic membrane which is the bottom mechanical substrate and covers the bus strips, diodes, and photo diode grids. The plastic membrane is harder to remove - it's tough, and well bonded to the layer above - but can be cut away with a razor knife and patience. You will need to cut away this membrane in the areas where the busses need to be exposed for disconnection of the bypass diodes, and eventual rewiring.

You must decide on an approach to disconnecting the diodes, and severing the conductive busses. Looking closely at the array from the top, you will notice 'bumps' in the top membrane on either side of the array right at the dividing line between adjacent panels. These 'bumps' are the bypass diodes. For the purposes of cutting the array into sections, the diodes are very inconveniently located.

If you choose to preserve the diodes for use in rewiring the array segments, then you will need to dig into the back of the panel, 'excavating' through the membrane around the perimeter of the diode to expose it's axial leads, and the solder pads where the diode connects to the busses. Once you have the diode exposed, you can carefully cut one end at its solder pad and gently pry the lead up from its embed. After completing this (one for each side of the line where the panels are to be severed) you can cut through the conductive busses to separate the array into segments. Be careful cutting through the busses so that you sever them exactly centered on the line between the panels. This will make it easier to prepare the busses for rewiring.

In my case, I chose not to reuse the bypass diodes at the panel sever points, but to replace them with new bypass devices when rewiring the array, so simply cut through them as well - eliminating the 'excavation' step.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
PS - I'm also somewhat concerned the panels available on eBay are "seconds" that were made available through the bankruptcy liquidation. I made sure to charge on my Amex so I have some extra protection if they do not fully work as advertised. I'm planning to do thorough testing before I make any modifications.

There is another US made brand of flexible panel - from a company called Global Solar, the panel is called PowerFlex 2 - and they have an RV-specific 6 foot product as well as standard strips in 6, 4, and 2 meter lengths. It's a lot more expensive than the current fire-sale liquidation pricing on the Unisolar strips. Global Solar Energy - POWER the Possibilities
Old 09-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
What would be the difference between the 12v and 24v solar panels? could you use the 24v on your 12v system or will it blow it out??

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
The Uni-Solar panels are available thru Amazon:
Amazon.com: Uni-Solar PVL-68 PowerBond PVL 68 Watt 12 Volt 112-Inch x 15.5-Inch Flexible Solar Panel: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Austin, TX & , Colorado
Good info. Keep us posted.

I came across minimal info on severing and reconfiguring the panel. I would be interested in going this route if it works out.
bgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Has anyone here ever taken advantage of the tax deduction for outfitting your trailer with solar panels, etc?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Amorphous cell panels like the Unisolar are not very efficient. But the build concept is great
0557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
Pics below of first unisolar panel ePVL 144 panel going onto my 27" safari. Bought the panels online from ebay for $165 shipped. Manufacture date of the panels is August 2011. I can't tell if they are A stock or B stock - they look fine and they seem to perform within specs so far.

As I was scoping things out on my roof, I found that if I extended the bracket where the TV antenna rests (I used a 24" piece of aluminum bar to do this) I could roll out the whole 18 foot panel without needing to cut it anywhere. The panel lays out fine underneath the widened antenna rest.

I needed no roof penetrations at all for this install - the panel sticks to the roof, and the wiring comes up through the refrigerator vent. I used a length of 10-2 SOOW cable for power transmission, tying together the black and ground conductors in the cable for the positive feed, which is roughly equivalent to a single 7 gauge conductor - and using the remaining 10 gauge white conductor for negative. I bought the appropriate MC-4 connectors on Amazon to connect the cable to the panels.

The only thing that hasn't gone perfectly smoothly so far is that the adhesive on the back of the first panel is sticking to the pull off plastic protective covering that you are supposed to peel off to expose the sticky stuff. Going to wait until nighttime when things are cooler to finish up - expect it will release better then.

One panel is currently putting out better than 100 watts at 30 volts even though partially shaded. I'll wire the second panel in series later; together they should be generating over 275+ watts at 70+ volts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120910_133618.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	167919   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120910_133613.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	322.8 KB
ID:	167920  

Old 09-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Pics below of first unisolar panel ePVL 144 panel going onto my 27" safari. Bought the panels online from ebay for $165 shipped. Manufacture date of the panels is August 2011. I can't tell if they are A stock or B stock - they look fine and they seem to perform within specs so far.

As I was scoping things out on my roof, I found that if I extended the bracket where the TV antenna rests (I used a 24" piece of aluminum bar to do this) I could roll out the whole 18 foot panel without needing to cut it anywhere. The panel lays out fine underneath the widened antenna rest.

I needed no roof penetrations at all for this install - the panel sticks to the roof, and the wiring comes up through the refrigerator vent. I used a length of 10-2 SOOW cable for power transmission, tying together the black and ground conductors in the cable for the positive feed, which is roughly equivalent to a single 7 gauge conductor - and using the remaining 10 gauge white conductor for negative. I bought the appropriate MC-4 connectors on Amazon to connect the cable to the panels.

The only thing that hasn't gone perfectly smoothly so far is that the adhesive on the back of the first panel is sticking to the pull off plastic protective covering that you are supposed to peel off to expose the sticky stuff. Going to wait until nighttime when things are cooler to finish up - expect it will release better then.

One panel is currently putting out better than 100 watts at 30 volts even though partially shaded. I'll wire the second panel in series later; together they should be generating over 275+ watts at 70+ volts.
Nice I have my 128 watt "not on yet" and am thinking of getting another... What battery charge controller did you get or using? This is what I have left to get. I am looking at the mppt controllers as they use the voltage better.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
I'm trying to do this on a budget, so I am starting out with an Intronics MPPT 25, which was $205 shipped from the manufacturer. I don't intend to go above 300 watts, so if it works as advertised it should be a great fit. So far so good - it brought my batteries up to 13.5 volts today on the single panel and is currently holding them there just fine.

Once I get around to measuring how it is doing, if I don't like it I'll probably step up to around $380 for a Morningstar ts-mppt-45. The other $200 range MPPT controller I found, from BZ, has horrible reviews.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
I'm trying to do this on a budget, so I am starting out with an Intronics MPPT 25, which was $205 shipped from the manufacturer. I don't intend to go above 300 watts, so if it works as advertised it should be a great fit. So far so good - it brought my batteries up to 13.5 volts today on the single panel and is currently holding them there just fine.

Once I get around to measuring how it is doing, if I don't like it I'll probably step up to around $380 for a Morningstar ts-mppt-45. The other $200 range MPPT controller I found, from BZ, has horrible reviews.
I was looking at a brand called Tracer. Out of China. and I kinda figure most are made in China so it may not be a big deal. But this one is made in the US and only $60 more. And i'm guessing if there is a problem I can get it fixed.

Thanks I will take a good look at it..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT