Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2007, 04:44 AM   #1
rec
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
anywhere USA , full-timers traveling the country
anyone ever heard of Gentron generators?

We are shopping for a generator to run the A/C and a few other small things on our 29' Excella while we aren't on hookups. I've calculated it out, and it seems that a 3500 watt generator would do just fine -- but I'm having a hard time deciding on a brand. Everyone keeps talking Yamaha and Honda, but we're on a budget, so those are a bit out of reach. But I've found 3 options we can afford:

- a Troy-Bilt gas generator for $399 at Lowe's at 3,250-Watt / 3,500 Starting Watts Portable Generator

- a Gentron gas generator for $399 plus free shipping at Gentron 3500 watt generator PRO SERIES (electric start) - Pro 3500W

- a JD-Tek propane generator for $499 plus $70 shipping on ebay at eBay: New 3500 Watt Propane LP Generator RV Camping 120/240 (item 170124384697 end time Jul-01-07 13:53:01 PDT)

I've been trying to compare the noise level (not sure what the Troy-Bilt is, but the other two seem low at 67 dBA), the run time on one tank, the weight (all seem about equivalent on these issues). The Gentron is superior in the fact that it has a 30-amp plug, so we wouldn't need an adapter like we would with the other two to hook directly into it, but I've never heard of this brand before. Also, there's the issue of whether propane or gas is going to be more affordable in the long run, and which will be easier to deal with. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
rec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Generate Noise

The best generators are quiet.
Having said that, my generator, a Lincoln welder is noisy and industrial.
The Chinese are copying the Japanese and you can get one of those for about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the Honda. No telling how long it will last though.
I tripped over a running Honda at a barn raising, that is how quiet they are.
How about buying a used Honda? Do you need the noise that bad?
Our generator is only used during work and power outages, when the noise is necessary.

R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rec
I've been trying to compare the noise level (not sure what the Troy-Bilt is, but the other two seem low at 67 dBA), the run time on one tank, the weight (all seem about equivalent on these issues). The Gentron is superior in the fact that it has a 30-amp plug, so we wouldn't need an adapter like we would with the other two to hook directly into it, but I've never heard of this brand before. Also, there's the issue of whether propane or gas is going to be more affordable in the long run, and which will be easier to deal with. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Compare those figures to the Yamaha EF300iSEB at 51-57 db to figure out why it is so popular. Honda 2000's even in parallel are quiet.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:40 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The Gentron is made by Chang-Zhou in China. I have seen them and held them in my hands. I don't care for them, they are, in person, a cheap-looking unit. You get what you pay for. If you want a good quality, quiet, long-lived unit, go with a Honda, or Yamaha, or equivalent. They are more expensive, for a reason.
Also, I can stand next to our Honda while it's running, and carry on a conversation (remember I am hard of hearing). I can do the same with my sister-in-law's Honda 3000.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:59 AM   #5
rec
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
anywhere USA , full-timers traveling the country
Thanks for the advice -- any suggestions of the best place to go to get a good price on a Honda or Yamaha -- either online or a chain store that we might have in the Washington DC area? What is the best "decibel" rating I should be looking for? Everything I read made it sound like 67 was quiet -- but I can see that there are clearly some that rate even lower. I do want quiet -- I'm just not in the market to be able to spend over $1000 on a generator right now. Thanks!
rec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:08 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by rec
What is the best "decibel" rating I should be looking for? Everything I read made it sound like 67 was quiet -- but I can see that there are clearly some that rate even lower. I do want quiet -- I'm just not in the market to be able to spend over $1000 on a generator right now. Thanks!
Decibels work kind of like the richter scale for earthquakes. Every 10 db is a doubling in volume. 67 is twice as loud as 57. Our Honda is quieter than the roof fan in our coach, the fan drowns out the noise of the Honda. To be honest, it IS a noisy fan, but not that bad.
It seems that a couple of years ago, Honda made their dealers stop posting prices on the 'net, so you'll have to call around. I have seen Honda 2000's for $899, but you have to call to get the price. Find someplace that offers free shipping, and a price match, make sure they have what you want, and call around to see if you can beat the price, then call them back with the lower price, and name of the dealer that had it.
A 2000 will not quite run your air conditioner, and is kind of overpowered for running everything else. Maybe you could look at a Honda 1000, they are even quieter than a 2000, will also run most everything on your coach, though not all at once, weighs a bit over half what a 2000 does, and uses even less gas. They can be had for well under $600.
Sooo, your choices would be to find a 3000 watt generator that will run everything, that will take two people to lift and move, for about $1800, or a smaller one that will run everything but the air, but one person can easily lift and carry, for half the cost (or less).
Old 06-28-2007, 08:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We used generator used during remote field tests that is rated at 75db full load and I can tell you from personal experience you do not want to be near it for more than a few minutes. We run a partial load so I expect it was in the mid 60db range but even at that it is almost impossible to carry a conversation and without a doubt, the announcement that the testing is complete is via the "Turn off that d@%^" Generator" statement.
We just sprung for the Honda EU00is and you can sit on it and converse
BTW our old generator was also a Honda, an EB6500
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:16 AM   #8
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Terry please advise me where I can get a Honda 1000 for "well under 600 bucks". I got my money in hand!! DG

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Check out Pressure Washers, Portable Generators, Mowers, Lawn + Garden | Northern Tool + Equipment site for a store near you. A friend just picked up two Honda 2000 gens and parallel kit for a little over $1,300 during a grand opening of one of their new stores. I don't know what their regular price would be. You could also buy one now and one next year if that fits your budget.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 06-28-2007, 10:18 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
Terry please advise me where I can get a Honda 1000 for "well under 600 bucks". I got my money in hand!! DG
Our local Camping World has them on "sale" (maybe they bought too many?) for $569.00. Also, Northern has them for around the same price, maybe $10 or so cheaper.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:42 PM   #11
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Terry , thanks CW out here does not appear to have that deal! That's a great price!And the Northern tool sit does not list the H1000. Guess I'll check back with Mayberries and a few other places. BTW there is a "california" specific H1000. can you believe that bull. yup more money, Thanks again
just called ?Northern H1000 is $699.99 plus 23.04 ups -nope

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )

Old 06-28-2007, 11:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Terry , thanks CW out here does not appear to have that deal! That's a great price!And the Northern tool sit does not list the H1000. Guess I'll check back with Mayberries and a few other places. BTW there is a "california" specific H1000. can you believe that bull. yup more money, Thanks again
DG, You mentioned a trip to Tahoe in another post why not check the prices there?

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:58 PM   #13
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
LAUGHING WAY OUT LOUD!!! Milo, I can tell you never purchased anything at Lake Tahoe. Why not drop yours off the truck saturday morning while I'm making the espresso's!! See you at the crack of dawn saturday my friend!

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )

Old 06-29-2007, 12:03 AM   #14
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
I'ld even consider the nice little Yamaha!!

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )

Old 06-29-2007, 12:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Kipor

These are Chinese knock-offs of the Hondas (maybe licensed, but I doubt it!)....even use the same replacement parts. I have seen them, and they look like yellow Hondas. Their owners say that they run well and QUIET!!!

They are supposed to be 2/3 the price of the Honda. Maybe worth checking them out.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
Quote:
LAUGHING WAY OUT LOUD!!! Milo, I can tell you never purchased anything at Lake Tahoe. Why not drop yours off the truck saturday morning while I'm making the espresso's!! See you at the crack of dawn saturday my friend!
LOL. I guess I'll have to lock my gen up inside the truck.

I got it on sale at CW for $649. Close enough to well under $500?

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 06-29-2007, 08:43 AM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
LOL. I guess I'll have to lock my gen up inside the truck.

I got it on sale at CW for $649. Close enough to well under $500?
If they were just a little cheaper, I could stock up and sell them to all my forums friends. They had a big ol' stack of 'em in the showroom. This was yesterday afternoon.
BTW, does the "California special" have a mini catalytic converter?
Old 06-29-2007, 09:25 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
If they were just a little cheaper, I could stock up and sell them to all my forums friends. They had a big ol' stack of 'em in the showroom. This was yesterday afternoon.
BTW, does the "California special" have a mini catalytic converter?
What you havent talked to the manager to see about a volume discount?

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Old 06-29-2007, 01:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Speedway advertises the EU1000 for $649 and the EU2000 for $879 (free shipping) in Trailer Life mag.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 06-29-2007, 03:54 PM   #20
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
What you havent talked to the manager to see about a volume discount?
Yesterday when I was there, they had about 20 of them, arranged in a rounded island two deep on the floor, with four on top of the island. Today when I went back to exchange a part, they had 5 left... I guess the word is out. I did speak with the manager, and he confirmed that there was a "glitch" that ordered 20 instead of 2. This is after the statewide tax free holiday that ended June 12 for generators and other hurricane supplies.