Old 10-31-2009, 12:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
My generator is a champion 4000 watt with 3500 running watts. I use it only a few times a year when we go to our property. The noise is 68 DP when running. I usually run it at night, or if it is very hot outside. The noise level is tolerable and when you have the air running you cannot hear it at all. It is not very light with a weight of 100lbs, but I got it on sale for $269.00 (new) and it works well. I can run the air, TV, lights almost anything when we are camping. I could not justify the cost of one of those Honda generators on my budget.

I think if you are not camping close to anybody they are great for power. When I work on the property I do not hear it. I only hear it when I am close to the trailer. I would not use it in a congested campsite.

Brian & Adrienne
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:38 PM   #16
Full Timers/Diesel power.
1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Hope this helps. Click on it if your eyes are as bad as mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2897.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	90056  

"A settled wisdom, plus the itch to be elsewhere"
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:44 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Most National Parks and Monuments have the 8:00 PM to 8:00 AM generator restriction, although we've encountered some that allow as little as 4 hours. Some also have a limited area of campsites that allow generators.

You have to be prepared to run on battery power, and recharge when you can.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:53 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member
1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
We do the same as Brian. We only use it when we go to our property where we normally don't see another soul for the entire period we are there.

Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I'd sort of echo the others on here....I read these boards, agonized a lot, and bought a Honda EU2000i. I've been totally happy with it! It runs everything except the a/c just fine. Even my wife's 1850 watt hair dryer. I plan to get a second one, and make a mount up on the tongue so that when I get to where I'm going, I can set one of them on each side and have them paralleled together and chained down to prevent them walking off. They're good units.

The one pull thing is a bit of a misnomer....they are one pull to start if you've run it recently. If it's sat for six months, it takes about six pulls They are good medicine.

The Yamaha is probably just as good. I went with the Honda, in the end, because my local dealer (who is also an authorized service center) sold red, and made me a deal better than I could get online. Other than that, if blue is a better deal, I think you'd be fine with it.

Like they said, get 3000 watts if you want to run the a/c. Otherwise, 2000 is fine.

And a side note: I was up at WVU last weekend for homecoming. I had my little Honda purring along quietly and I cut it off at 10:00pm to be courteous. But the goobs on either side of me with their contractor gennies cranked 3600rpm all night long, 6000 watts each, all night long, and 70 db, all night long. I guess if you're used to a Huey hovering beside your bed all night, it's not hard to sleep. I'm not, so it was. Oh well, at least I was courteous.

But in all seriousness, these little Honda's are so quiet you probably could run them all night and never bother a soul.

Take care,

- Jim
JimGolden is offline   Reply With Quote