Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2016, 01:00 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Has anyone given thought to mounting the solar panels to the roof with detachable brackets (or similar) and wiring them so that they could be disconnected with a plug?

My thinking is a fabricated extension cord would then allow them to be usable when camping under shade of a tree, etc.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:29 PM   #22
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Vhb around the edges and an x in the middle
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:40 PM   #23
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Lew I gotta ask about your photo. I see screw heads on every corner. Nice looking probably stainless. So are those panels screwed and glued or are the screws doing something else?
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:34 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Lew I gotta ask about your photo. I see screw heads on every corner. Nice looking probably stainless. So are those panels screwed and glued or are the screws doing something else?
Hey Gary,

Sharp eye!!!

These panels were originally placed on the roof of my Sprinter almost 2 years ago with beads of SikaFlex 221 run along the top of each roof rib. The panels adhered very well, but after a couple of weeks in the heat of the sun, soon started sagging between the raised ribs!

Since these panels were for a beta test, I needed them as flat as possible!!!! My solution was to have 3 sheets of .090 aluminum cut to the exact total dimension of the panels. After surgically removing them from the roof (THAT was a chore!!!) I spent the better part of a day cleaning all of the SikaFlex residue manually, as there is no solvent for it once cured.

The aluminum was then bonded to the roof and to be easily removable and replaceable (remember, these were test panels) I used stainless TEK screws to attack the panels to the new aluminum substrate, with a full bead of SikaFlex at the front edge. There are NO HOLES in the roof of my Sprinter!!!

After a few high speed runs, the seams on the long sides of tech panels were starting to lift, so I screwed some aluminum strip over these seems to keep the panels flat.

These Grape Solar Photo-Flex panels were shot within 6 months of sun exposure. Their plastic surface faded to a dull finish which was impeding the transmission of solar radiance and thus greatly reduced the efficiency of the panels.

I polished their surfaces with a high-grade plastic polish in April and got the efficiency back up to around 50%, but they are starting to fade agin. The other issue with flex panels is their far lower acceptance rate of solar input as the sun angle starts to drop. I was looking at them just the other day and was getting 19.5VDC from the array around solar noon. That number dropped precipitously to 14.5VDC by around 3:00. Up here in OR, the sun angle is still pretty high then, but anything less than almost direct sun will drastically reduce the output of these panels!!

I wasn't a fan of these before I placed them on the roof for test purposes, and now have the experience to never use them for a commercial installation!!!

They will be replaced with AM Solar's new SP-100 panels (their own house replacement for the old Grape Solar GS-100) as soon as the new shipment is off the water......expected around the end of July.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:42 AM   #25
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
... After surgically removing them from the roof (THAT was a chore!!!) I spent the better part of a day cleaning all of the SikaFlex residue manually, as there is no solvent for it once cured.
Have your tried Marine DeBond? It works great on 3M 5200 on my sailboat, but I have never tried it on Sikaflex.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:18 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Vancouver , British Columbia
I posted another thread, but thought I'd post here and thank Lewster. My setup is nearly complete.

http://tinyshinyhouseonwheels.com/so...-installation/
mixedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:48 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedpuppy View Post
I posted another thread, but thought I'd post here and thank Lewster. My setup is nearly complete.

http://tinyshinyhouseonwheels.com/so...-installation/
You're welcome!!
Old 03-05-2017, 02:32 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Which variety of 3M VHB should be used for attaching solar panels to a fiberglass motorhome roof, whether using framed panels with aluminum "feet," or the flexible panels? I've searched around and found different opinions. 4950 seems to be the most commonly used, but 4991 is mentioned, as well as 4941 and 5952.

Thanks
David
woundedpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 03:12 PM   #29
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by woundedpig View Post
Which variety of 3M VHB should be used for attaching solar panels to a fiberglass motorhome roof, whether using framed panels with aluminum "feet," or the flexible panels? I've searched around and found different opinions. 4950 seems to be the most commonly used, but 4991 is mentioned, as well as 4941 and 5952.

Thanks
David
4950.. Been using it for 15 years and have never lost a panel!
Old 06-23-2017, 09:00 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
VHB for Renogy Z mounts

Due to cost and the fact that I will not be tilting my panels (not enough real-estate up there to clamor around at my age), I will be using the fixed Renogy Z mounts that have 3.94 x 1.34 in. base dimensions - not sure if the flat part of the base is much more than ~ 1 inch deep, however. Can't find a VHB tape of exact width for the mount. For a fiberglass roof.
Should I fret about full VHB tape coverage for the base? Can wider VHB tape be trimmed lengthwise? I have never worked with it. I will be covering the mounts with sealant.
Thanks

David
woundedpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:03 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
San Luis Obispo , California
VHB tape question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
4950.. Been using it for 15 years and have never lost a panel!
I just looked up the 4950 VHB tape and it is 45 mil thick. That seems too thick to put on the roof. Do you use a thinner tape? I have flexible panels on the roof of my Airstream, but the tape on them is peeling. I need to clean everything off and start over. What is best solvent to clean off the tape and roof? And what size VHB tape width, thickness, and length? Thanks in advance for your answers.
CEGorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:34 AM   #32
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEGorton View Post
I just looked up the 4950 VHB tape and it is 45 mil thick. That seems too thick to put on the roof. Do you use a thinner tape? I have flexible panels on the roof of my Airstream, but the tape on them is peeling. I need to clean everything off and start over. What is best solvent to clean off the tape and roof? And what size VHB tape width, thickness, and length? Thanks in advance for your answers.
4950 IS the tape to use. It's thickness is no problem, as it is around 1/16" thick. Perfect for use on solar panels. I use the 1" width and mount my solar feet with it, then going over the entire foot with SIkaFlex 221. I have never lost a panel if 15 years!

I also never use flex panels, as they tend to start wearing out in 6 months! Within a year or two, they output around 1/2 or less of their rated capacity. I tried all of the flex panels available a few years ago and had bad results will ALL of them!