Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2016, 01:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Longview , Texas
A Couple of Generator questions ...

We are waiting the 8/30/16 arrival of our FC26U and have great appreciation for all of the hours of info this forum has provided as we prepare for the AS lifestyle.

It appears that the propane driven power is the logical/safe way to provide power to the coach and will likely pursue this.

Question 1: What is the expected LP consumption of the preferred 2kw Blue or Red brand units?

Question 2: Our travels will involve frequent stops town to town for shopping/dining and the like. As we pull over, fire up the gens (for 1-unit only) and go shop for awhile, how long to pleasant cool off of the coach before we could expect to return to have lunch (we are in the hot and humid North Texas area) ?

Thanks in advance!
Darrell
DarrellT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I wouldn't leave a running generator unattended for safety and theft.

This link has a PDF which will give you an idea of how much propane will be used. Two 2k generators will consume more propane.

http://www.genconnexdirect.net/honda...generators.htm

Kelvin
Old 07-28-2016, 04:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
A single unit would have to be a 3000. I wouldn't leave one running unattended., either.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:47 PM   #4
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
If the generator is deployed and/or running, I'd stay close by unless I like buying replacements for stolen generators on a regular basis.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:19 PM   #5
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
You will need two 2K gennies to run the air. Park in the shade, set the fantastic fans to exhaust while you're out. When you return, you will find that the ducted air works well at making it "feel" cool pretty fast, if you feel it's worth it to drag out the equipment. If you have a pickup, you could just leave them in the bed, connect the power cord and fire them up. But as others say, I would not leave the gennies outside while not in a campground even if they are locked down.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:45 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Longview , Texas
Failed to mention we anticipate permanently mounting the gen (s) in the bed of the TV under the protection of a Leer cap. Having said that, I understand the potential theft and safety concerns!

Thanks for the responses thus far!

Darrell
Old 07-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

I would never leave 2 generators running unattended in the bed of a locked truck...sorry.

Bob
Old 07-28-2016, 07:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I would never leave 2 generators running unattended in the bed of a locked truck...sorry.

Bob
Especially if they are running on propane.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:57 PM   #9

I don't believe gennies running on propane are any more dangerous inside a cap than those running on gasoline. However, I completely agree that I'd never leave any gennies running unattended in the bed of our truck, even if they were under a cap and screwed to the bed of the truck. Just not a good idea.

Your call of course, it's your gennies, your truck, etc.

That said, we love the idea of ventilating the trailer thoroughly via Fantastic Fans while you're away, and then cooling it later when you get back. You might want to think about vent covers, such as the Fantastic Vent Cover (https://www.amazon.com/Fan-Tastic-Ve.../dp/B007HGF398) or the Maxxair vent cover (https://www.amazon.com/Maxxair-00-93.../dp/B000E4AFM0)

Best wishes, congratulations on your new Airstream, and good luck!

Old 07-28-2016, 09:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Every campground I've been to has a rule that says generators cannot be left unattended.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:01 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Longview , Texas
Thanks for all the input! We'll take the advice and not leave the gennies unattended. <Rocinante> We already instructed the dealer to install the vent cover when she arrives.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:44 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
DarrelT:

I will let others answer your gen. question. Off thread here but being an owner of a 26U there is a lengthy tread you will be interested in for 26U owners : '2016 Flying Cloud 26U'. We love our 26U but many of us have experienced a catastrophic failure of the U dinette when made into a bed. Our guest crash through it when using. It's dangerous. The thread explains the issue and Airstream acknowledges the issue, now. And have a fix for it that they send parts to your dealer to rectify. Here is the thread and start about 4 pages from the end to get into this problem. I would suggest sharing with your dealer so it can be determined if you have this issue and it can be fixed before taking ownership.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...139457-15.html

PS: you will love your 26U !!

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Answers to your two questions:

- Our LP converted Honda 2000s burn 2 pounds of propane per hour each +/- a few ounces. The AC requires both running in parallel.

- Cooling a hot airstream in the southern summer sun can take hours. I agree with the other folks as far as a lunch stop goes... find a shady spot, open a window or two, turn on the fantastic fans and you will probably be ok.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Mounting inside Leer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellT View Post
Failed to mention we anticipate permanently mounting the gen (s) in the bed of the TV under the protection of a Leer cap. Having said that, I understand the potential theft and safety concerns!

Thanks for the responses thus far!

Darrell
I recently saw a guy with a 23' FC, who had a Honda 3K generator mounted on foam in pickup bed, with Leer cover. (that is a heavy generator, but it was very quiet) He had pop-up side windows and had gas can mounted on his roof....I wouldn't do that, but he seemed fine with it. He would run the hose down to the generator through the pop-up glass side window and he was using the generator quite a bit while they were camped there (3 times a day for 2 hours each)...no air conditioning was needed in Glacier, so not sure why he was running so much, but that's another story I guess.

Anyway, he had 10 gal plastic gas can on top and a quick disconnect on his fuel line so he could disconnect when not in use and lock it up. I agree with others about leaving unattended... I thought the gas on roof was not a good idea, but he seemed ok with it. He had it fastened to a bike rack, next to his Thule storage box.... I think you could easily do this type set up with gas in back of bed or outside on the ground.

Couple weeks earlier, a guy had a larger industrial generator in his pu bed with a topper on it, and it was extremely loud. The Honda type units are quiet, but I would further isolate for sound if mounting in bed, by putting foam under the unit.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
You will need two 2K gennies to run the air. Park in the shade, set the fantastic fans to exhaust while you're out. When you return, you will find that the ducted air works well at making it "feel" cool pretty fast, if you feel it's worth it to drag out the equipment. If you have a pickup, you could just leave them in the bed, connect the power cord and fire them up. But as others say, I would not leave the gennies outside while not in a campground even if they are locked down.
Good point about leaving outside unattended....Ranger in Glacier told us of a "crew" that was going around early in the morning around 4am; one guy had a flashlight and a walkie-talkie, like he was checking campsites for violations. He was really noting the location of sites with generators unsecured. They would note the campsite number with the generator unsecured, call friends following not far behind in a PU who would pull up and snatch the generator and off they would go. Good to have your generator secured or better yet; in the truck locked when not in use.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:53 PM   #16
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellT View Post
Question 2: Our travels will involve frequent stops town to town for shopping/dining and the like. As we pull over, fire up the gens (for 1-unit only) and go shop for awhile, how long to pleasant cool off of the coach before we could expect to return to have lunch (we are in the hot and humid North Texas area) ?
I have twin air conditioners in my 2010.

I figure an hour to cool down an unoccupied trailer with one, several hours with both, on a hot day in the sun. With people going in and out the door or any sort of cooking it takes longer.

Like others have indicated upthread we tend to run the fantastic fan and open a window or two in the situation you describe.

I don't have generators, so I can't comment on the other aspect of your question.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Good to have your generator secured or better yet; in the truck locked when not in use.
Yep. If our generator is running, we're out where we can see it. If it's not running, it is locked up in the truck under something that hides the fact that we even own one.

My brother once told me of an interesting scam - if you're inside while the generator is running (even better if it's at night when you might be asleep), the thief shows up with a cheap beater lawn mower, starts it up, shuts down your generator and then takes off with it, leaving the beater lawn mower behind. Apparently the continued noise lulls people into a false sense of security and helps the baddies get away clean.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:29 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Why not leaving gen unattended

In a recent post about generators it was almost universal that no one would leave their generator unattended due to the theft and for some other reason. Other than theft what is the other reason for not leaving a gen unattended
Sgilcrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:47 AM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgilcrest View Post
In a recent post about generators it was almost universal that no one would leave their generator unattended due to the theft and for some other reason. Other than theft what is the other reason for not leaving a gen unattended
Maybe, if it's not running....none.

If it's running & plugged into the AS and a breaker fails the wiring poof's, the converter shorts or........

Bob
Old 07-30-2016, 09:43 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Generators aren't silent. In a well populated area like most campgrounds it seems impolite to leave it running.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote