Old 05-27-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
Rivet Master

30 amp service at home

I have installed the 2" conduit, now the fun begins. I am installing the 30 amp serviice, along with a switchable 20 amp circuit for lighting, on a pole near the camper. The RV outlet from Connecticut Electric came with no wiring diagram. Which contact is hot? Also I would be very interested and appreciative for any photos of outlet boxes and such that others members are using.
P.S. I have tried the search function using all kinds of variations of keywords and the first 3 suggested threads were a rally, a music poll, and a word challenge game. I pity the newbie who asks a question only to get told to use the search function. I never have much luck with that.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Hi Dave. Typically the outlet connector screws will be different in color - the hot lead will be a gold screw, the neutral is silver, and the ground is green.

Here is the external orientation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3917-30AmpSocket.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	61081  

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
North East , Texas
Look at the screws

The gold colored screw is always the hot and the silver colored is always the neutral and of course the green screw is the ground.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Thanks for the speedy reply

My screws are red and silver. Obviously the red is hot. Your diagram is most helpful for a guy like me who has one screw loose.
I would be interested in any other pictures of outlet setups.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave
My screws are red and silver. Obviously the red is hot. Your diagram is most helpful for a guy like me who has one screw loose.
I would be interested in any other pictures of outlet setups.
I did my own install recently. I'll try to get a snapshot of it for you.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:28 AM   #6
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Since my breakers are located close to where I stage and destage my trailer my setup was a piece of cake. I attached the outlet in an outdoor box under the panel. Total wire length of wire is less then 1 foot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1568.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	61084  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
I have installed the 2" conduit, now the fun begins. I am installing the 30 amp serviice, along with a switchable 20 amp circuit for lighting, on a pole near the camper. The RV outlet from Connecticut Electric came with no wiring diagram. Which contact is hot? Also I would be very interested and appreciative for any photos of outlet boxes and such that others members are using.
P.S. I have tried the search function using all kinds of variations of keywords and the first 3 suggested threads were a rally, a music poll, and a word challenge game. I pity the newbie who asks a question only to get told to use the search function. I never have much luck with that.
What size wire are you using and how long is the run to the main panel? Are you planning on doing the hook up on the panel side yourself?
Old 05-27-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

I am comfortable around the panel...BUT.....

I might enlist a friend who is licensed, for the panel connection. I like the ring of Mandolindave much more than Sparkydave. But if you have any tips on the panel connection, please do pass them along to me. The outside run is 48', adding the inside run and the run up the pole adds up to 75'. I am using 8 gauge underground cable.
The project is multi purpose. The lady of the house doesn't care for air conditioning, but if it gets hot I would like a cool place to hang out. I am also putting in lighting for the campfire area and huge motion detector light so she knows when bear are doing things in my yard insead of the woods where they are supposed to. Soon I will be breaking ground for the barn, and I will want electric there as well.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
I might enlist a friend who is licensed, for the panel connection. I like the ring of Mandolindave much more than Sparkydave. But if you have any tips on the panel connection, please do pass them along to me. The outside run is 48', adding the inside run and the run up the pole adds up to 75'. I am using 8 gauge underground cable.
The project is multi purpose. The lady of the house doesn't care for air conditioning, but if it gets hot I would like a cool place to hang out. I am also putting in lighting for the campfire area and huge motion detector light so she knows when bear are doing things in my yard insead of the woods where they are supposed to. Soon I will be breaking ground for the barn, and I will want electric there as well.
You may want to check this out.

Copper.org: Electrical: Energy Efficiency - One Wire Size Up Means Big Savings
Old 05-27-2008, 03:04 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59

i just read that article and feel that i may have under sized my wire.
unlike azflycaster i had to make a 250ft run to my staging area. i got a quote from a spark for installing a 30A for RV and 20A GFCI for pool then decided to DIY the most of it. I then called in a favor from a friend to wire the receptacles in.
considering the fridge is the only constant draw, is the 10/2 that was recommend fat enough for 30A?
Old 05-27-2008, 04:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbundi
i just read that article and feel that i may have under sized my wire.
unlike azflycaster i had to make a 250ft run to my staging area. i got a quote from a spark for installing a 30A for RV and 20A GFCI for pool then decided to DIY the most of it. I then called in a favor from a friend to wire the receptacles in.
considering the fridge is the only constant draw, is the 10/2 that was recommend fat enough for 30A?
10/2 seems awfully light for a 250' run. Regardless of the draw from the refrigerator, if you have roof air (or want to have it in the future) I think you're definitely going to come up short in amp capacity.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:38 PM   #12
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
You can plug your numbers into this calculator to determine the wire size required. 5 amps is the max for 250 feet with #10 wire. Your refrigerator may only pull 5 amps, but don't forget your converter will draw a couple of amps too.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
re assessing the situation

although it was a reputable company that made the quote, i am going to re-evaluate

hindsight says running 2 inch conduit with 6 gauge wire would've been the smarter choice.
we're moving house so may just retire that particular line and let it be.