Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2012, 11:58 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Bart...Solar toaster? lol...I've tried a few of those stove-top, burner fired 'toasters', and they are all crap, IMHO...

We're pretty much back to making our toast in the old, scratched up, thin-walled frying pan - bit of butter and it's toast in a couple of mins...

Speaking of 'solar' devices...years ago We had one of those redwood 'cask' type hot tubs in our backyard...I built a rabbit hutch nearby that had an angled roof that I fit two 4x6 ft water heater collectors...

I plumbed the collectors with a thermostat and small circulating pump to move the hot water into the hot tub during the day - we had great 102+ degree hot tub water every night for a few cents to run the pump!

Those collectors (made in Israel) were made of copper, with a steel frame and special glass on top to 'trap' the heat...still have the collectors, but these days our dog uses one to lay on during the cool winter days for her 'sun bath'...
Old 02-13-2012, 02:39 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I feel your pain!

If at all possible, regardless of the short distance, I would upgrade to 4/0 battery cable and a 400 amp class 'T' fuse......... just to be on the safe side!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:47 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hugh,

Great post!

Now you see why AM Solar is the ONLY solar outfit that I would be associated with. Have fun with your new rig!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:03 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Fyi

Looks like Z8 started a new thread for each phase of the project. Search for 27FB Solar.
Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #25

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post
Looks like Z8 started a new thread for each phase of the project. Search for 27FB Solar.
Brad
Great information presented here Hugh. We merged the threads together here so all the information is in a single location.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Z8,

Thank you for the excellent documentation, commentary and pictures. Your workmanship and attention to detail are commendable! We won't be going whole hog like you did (our 120V needs are limited when camping) but it's good to know what's possible and you've given me ideas for our 27FB solar future. Wish I had a nice room to work in and scaffolding like you did!

Best,

Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Palo Alto , California
Brad,

Independent of what kind of system you install (+/- number panels, inverter, battery number and size, etc, I think there are a couple of key ideas)

Unless the power of the panels is 100 watts or less, I wouldn't use the factory pre wire for the output of the panels (you could certainly mount the charge control monitor using AS's location and wiring in the kitchen below the tank monitor)

In a simpler system, say just a solar charge controller and using stock batteries, I'd still put the charge controller under the bed (pre wire is there too).

If you go the new solar wire route, I think the routing I used (down the cabinet, under the sink, under the trailer), is best. I would not do the whole conduit thing, and just tie wrap the cable to the gas line.

Say you did 2 panels and stayed with the factory battery location only and no inverter, you could do the whole thing easily in two weekends.

Hugh
z8 hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Hugh,

Great post!

Now you see why AM Solar is the ONLY solar outfit that I would be associated with. Have fun with your new rig!
Hi Lew,
Tried to send a private message but I must be on the terrorist list.Anyway,I live in Gresham and would love to discuss the addition of solar panels and costs. My email okpete42@aol.com. If interested please send contact number and we can dicuss the possibilities.
Pete
herrick51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #29
I approve of this message

2006 28' International CCD
Redmond , Washington
Wow...brilliant design, great components and execution! Good for you and thanks for sharing!

We did a less ambitious version using similar components (3 x 100 AM Solar, MS2812, 4 GPL-4CT, Helio 22B), and absolutely love the addititional camping choices we now have! Although, we've learned that camping here in the Pacific Northwest is often under dense tree canopies, so perhaps we'll install another panel like your setup to maximize energy recovery.

Wonder if we can get Lew to Seattle again?
ostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

El Cerrito , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by z8 hm
Perspectives…..

In no particular order, here are some thoughts on this whole project.

What a post! Great effort on project and awesome documentation, btw don't think I did not notice the Ferrari in the the last picture of the 4th post of this series, very nice. :-)

One of the best things I had done ( recently) to our house is a solar install, last years electric bill was around $100!
bycrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

El Cerrito , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bycrom

What a post! Great effort on project and awesome documentation, btw don't think I did not notice the Ferrari in the the last picture of the 4th post of this series, very nice. :-)

One of the best things I had done ( recently) to our house is a solar install, last years electric bill was around $100!
Sorry Ferrari in last picture of [b]3rd post[b]
Old 08-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Palo Alto , California
Great catch on the car! Besides airstreaming, my other passion is driving fast. Here's a better shot of the car, it's a 2009 16M, fun car!Click image for larger version

Name:	16M.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	166353
z8 hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

El Cerrito , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by z8 hm View Post
Great catch on the car! Besides airstreaming, my other passion is driving fast. Here's a better shot of the car, it's a 2009 16M, fun car!Attachment 166353
Wow, simply awesome, you ought to post a shot with your AS (photoshop) hooked up with that car in tow mode. :-) I bet that would turn some heads.

Thanks for showing, must be a crazy driving that wonderful machine.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #34
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Great thread!

Thank you for the trouble in laying it all out for the rest of us. A 1990 Silver Streak I've just bought has a factory-installed system. While I don't know what I'll do with it past upgrading components (it works), I'm pleased to read of a system at the outside of what I might someday do. Until this past month I've spent years ignoring solar power threads . . so thanks, again, for adding to what AIR offers the diligent reader.

Bookmarked.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #35

Currently Looking...
Springfield , Missouri
Very nice! I can see your positive and negative running down by your vent to tie into you factory 12v bus bars where your old battery cables used to tie into, did you keep the factory battery disconnect solenoid as a factor in your equation or did you bypass that altogether? Also, with your larger battery bank have you ever tripped your 25amp charge line from your truck, say its a cloudy week and your battery level is very low, and you hitch up and go home. With the truck charge line pushing power to the batteries just wondered if the new large load would cause an excess current to be pulled from your charge line through your 7way port on your truck.
Sky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
I can't speak for Hugh, but I tied my solar controller onto the coach side of the battery disconnect. As I also store indoors, I didn't want the solar controller's 0.25 amp quiescent load on the batteries while in storage. Configured this way, the solar controller are isolated from the batteries while in storage.

For those who store outdoors, doesn't really matter. Either tie the solar controller directly to the batteries, so the charger floats the batteries, or tie to the coach-side and just leave the batteries connected.

Steve
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Ormond Beach , Florida
So having just purchased the same Int'l 25FB with the 600W inverter and pre-wire but no solar package...
Being completely new to the Solar world and especially in "sunny" Oregon, I am not an EE and have no idea how to "size" solar panels. There are certainly a lot of additional piees to make this mega system work.
What would be about the maximum solar panels I could install without "burning down the house", as those Talking Heads coined?
Mikec1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #38
I approve of this message

2006 28' International CCD
Redmond , Washington
Not certain how extensible the "pre-wire" kit is, but on a 25' coach, 300w-400w is straight forward and 500w is achievable. The really good news for you is AM Solar is located outside of Eugene, OR! They are considered by many the best source for RV solar systems.
ostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Ormond Beach , Florida
I just went to there web site and was pleasantly surprised that they are in Springfield. It is about 10 minutes away! I will make a trip over and discuss with them and see if I can learn something.
Mikec1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:34 PM   #40
Cris

2013 27' FB International
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikec1231 View Post
I just went to there web site and was pleasantly surprised that they are in Springfield. It is about 10 minutes away! I will make a trip over and discuss with them and see if I can learn something.
I've checked this thread several times to see if you had a chance to visit AM Solar and your thoughts or plans for your 27FB. I have the same model, and I'm trying to sort out an installation for myself.

Cris
Cris911 is offline   Reply With Quote