Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2017, 05:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Golden , Colorado
2014 30' Bunkhouse - cannot find solar pre-wire

Howdy all! I need some advice before I run my own wires - I cannot find the solar pre-wire anywhere. I have taken the trim off the front and rear fans, and the center sunlight. I have popped rivets off the rear fan surround so I could get my light in there for a better look, and cannot see any wires. I managed to get my hand in to feel around, and nope, no wires.

I'd appreciate any and all advice! I am planning to put in a 6 gauge wire near the front right down to the battery area if I cannot find the pre-wire.

I am installing a single 100W panel at the moment, hence my willingness to use the pre-wire. Obviously the 6g wire will allow a much larger installation in the future if needed.

thanks in advance!
-brad
bbdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbdo View Post
Howdy all! I need some advice before I run my own wires - I cannot find the solar pre-wire anywhere. I have taken the trim off the front and rear fans, and the center sunlight. I have popped rivets off the rear fan surround so I could get my light in there for a better look, and cannot see any wires. I managed to get my hand in to feel around, and nope, no wires.

I'd appreciate any and all advice! I am planning to put in a 6 gauge wire near the front right down to the battery area if I cannot find the pre-wire.

I am installing a single 100W panel at the moment, hence my willingness to use the pre-wire. Obviously the 6g wire will allow a much larger installation in the future if needed.

thanks in advance!
-brad
Airstream typically locates the solar pre-wire in the vicinity of the rear Fantastic Fan. If you look at the forward curb side where all of your DC cables enter the trailer from the batteries, you will see the yellow and green 10AWG wires bundles there.

If you have a wire tracer like a 'fox and hound' type, or can borrow one, you can use those to visible wires as the signal source and you can probe around the 'known locations' in the trailer trailer to see if you can get a better idea of exactly the wires might be found.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:37 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Airstream typically locates the solar pre-wire in the vicinity of the rear Fantastic Fan. If you look at the forward curb side where all of your DC cables enter the trailer from the batteries, you will see the yellow and green 10AWG wires bundles there.

If you have a wire tracer like a 'fox and hound' type, or can borrow one, you can use those to visible wires as the signal source and you can probe around the 'known locations' in the trailer trailer to see if you can get a better idea of exactly the wires might be found.

Thanks Lew - I will try this before giving up!
Old 02-16-2017, 01:11 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Golden , Colorado
Great advice as always from Lew! And sure enough the pre-wire is running inside my pantry, right next to the vent pipe - right where I have my current connections coming in from my 4G antenna and wifi - so I will not need another penetration! Perfect!

-brad
Old 02-16-2017, 04:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Great advice as always from Lew! And sure enough the pre-wire is running inside my pantry, right next to the vent pipe - right where I have my current connections coming in from my 4G antenna and wifi - so I will not need another penetration! Perfect!

-brad

Old 02-16-2017, 07:57 PM   #6
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:

-brad
Where exactly is it? Tried finding mine in the fan and it didn't seem to be there. Maybe it's in the pantry as well.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:21 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Where exactly is it? Tried finding mine in the fan and it didn't seem to be there. Maybe it's in the pantry as well.
In the pantry to the right of the fridge - there is the metal channel on the right, front part of the inside pantry. That comes off with a few screws, and in one of the bigger wire looms you will see the straight yellow and straight green wires.

This is also where the vent pipe goes through, and I had already brought my 4G antenna wire in through the pipe, and re-sealed with duct tape. So I re-used this entry method and didn't have to create any holes in the roof! I used a wire tracer per Lew's recommendation as an FYI, and found the wires right away.

One 100W panel, MPPT controller and hookup took about 1.5 hours or so. I used UHB tape to mount the panel, cleaning the feet area with alcohol. I only wish I had done this sooner!

good luck!
-brad
Old 02-17-2017, 11:51 AM   #8
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
In the pantry to the right of the fridge - there is the metal channel on the right, front part of the inside pantry. That comes off with a few screws, and in one of the bigger wire looms you will see the straight yellow and straight green wires.

This is also where the vent pipe goes through, and I had already brought my 4G antenna wire in through the pipe, and re-sealed with duct tape. So I re-used this entry method and didn't have to create any holes in the roof! I used a wire tracer per Lew's recommendation as an FYI, and found the wires right away.

One 100W panel, MPPT controller and hookup took about 1.5 hours or so. I used UHB tape to mount the panel, cleaning the feet area with alcohol. I only wish I had done this sooner!

good luck!
-brad
Thank you so much! Will look at mine.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:22 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post

Lew, we have a 2013 23D Flying Cloud. Do you know if Airstream installs prewires in these trailers? Thanks!
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:34 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wconley View Post
Lew, we have a 2013 23D Flying Cloud. Do you know if Airstream installs prewires in these trailers? Thanks!
Pretty sure all modern Airstreams are pre-wired. I've read that many times.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Pretty sure all modern Airstreams are pre-wired. I've read that many times.
Correct-o mundo!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2022, 04:12 PM   #12

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Riverbank , California
I realize the post is old but you guys are amazon. Getting ready to do a solar install on my 2015 Bunk and could not for the life of me find the pre wire, until this post. Thanks so much!

-Hank
Central Valley of California
Hreece04 is offline   Reply With Quote