Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-04-2016, 12:13 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
Brav's Avatar
 
2016 25' International
Huntington Beach , California
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 77
2000w generator - transport inside airstream?

I am wondering if it's possible to safely transport the generator(s) inside the rig. We have a 25FB and could benefit by loading heavy objects in the rear under the dinette for better balance. Does the fuel smell pose a problem? Or just a secure way of holding them in place?
__________________

__________________
2016 International Sig 25FB
2010 LR RR S/C
Brav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,266
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brav View Post
I am wondering if it's possible to safely transport the generator(s) inside the rig. We have a 25FB and could benefit by loading heavy objects in the rear under the dinette for better balance. Does the fuel smell pose a problem? Or just a secure way of holding them in place?

Hi, I carried my Yamaha 2400 generator for over 10,000 miles in my trailer. This was during my Alaska trip. No fumes what so ever. Mine was in the front of my trailer. This is a safer place in case of a panic stop, the generator will stay in place. Anywhere else, it might come flying forward and cause a lot of damage.
__________________

__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
tjdonahoe's Avatar
 
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,842
My 2000 w honda has rubber legs, and in the Bach of the pickup it never moves, when in the tool box, and the lid is closed for a week or so when opening there is a gasoline smell....
__________________
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:53 AM   #4
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

OUR Honda 2000 has always travelled in the AS....
(make sure gas cap vent is closed)

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08281.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	410.7 KB
ID:	258110   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08287.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	258111  

__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:12 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
Brav's Avatar
 
2016 25' International
Huntington Beach , California
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 77
Great thanks all. I definitely need to store mine in the back. Just need to find a way to secure it..
__________________
Brav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:08 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I carried my Yamaha 2400 generator for over 10,000 miles in my trailer. This was during my Alaska trip. No fumes what so ever. Mine was in the front of my trailer. This is a safer place in case of a panic stop, the generator will stay in place. Anywhere else, it might come flying forward and cause a lot of damage.
Actually the safest place inside the trailer to carry a generator is in the shower. Not only can it not slide around no matter how you maneuver (not just in panic stops), but you can open the shower vent to clear any fumes, and if for some unknown reason the generator should happen to leak oil or fuel while in transit, cleanup is easier because it's all contained in the shower. And if you have the shower drain plug in, you won't even pollute your gray tank if the generator leaks.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:14 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
sheriff1's Avatar
 
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Actually the safest place inside the trailer to carry a generator is in the shower. Not only can it not slide around no matter how you maneuver (not just in panic stops), but you can open the shower vent to clear any fumes, and if for some unknown reason the generator should happen to leak oil or fuel while in transit, cleanup is easier because it's all contained in the shower. And if you have the shower drain plug in, you won't even pollute your gray tank if the generator leaks.

I disagree, there is a good chance it will eventually damage the shower pan. They are not generally well supported and that much weight can cause damage.
Ask me how I know...


2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"
__________________
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:38 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
I disagree, there is a good chance it will eventually damage the shower pan. They are not generally well supported and that much weight can cause damage.
A 2kw generator like the OP has weighs a lot less than a person. I find it hard to believe that carrying a 2kw generator will damage the shower pan due to weight if a big husky adult male taking a shower won't crack it.

There may be other contributing factors in play, such as tiny feet on the generator that concentrate the weight compared to a husky adult male's size 12s, or perhaps bouncing that causes impact loading, either of which might be addressed by putting the generator inside a plastic bin as Robert Cross shows— with a layer of (non-absorbent) padding in the bottom of the bin.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master
 
batman's Avatar

 
1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brav View Post
I am wondering if it's possible to safely transport the generator(s) inside the rig. We have a 25FB and could benefit by loading heavy objects in the rear under the dinette for better balance. Does the fuel smell pose a problem? Or just a secure way of holding them in place?
As long as you do not have any propane appliances running like your furnace or refrigerator. It should be fine.
Be careful of loading too much weight in the rear of the trailer. You need tongue weight on any trailer to prevent a jack knifing effect.

-Dennis
__________________
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:05 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member
 
Brav's Avatar
 
2016 25' International
Huntington Beach , California
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
As long as you do not have any propane appliances running like your furnace or refrigerator. It should be fine.
Be careful of loading too much weight in the rear of the trailer. You need tongue weight on any trailer to prevent a jack knifing effect.

-Dennis
Understand. Would weigh everything before takeoff.. right now its way too heavy on the nose with water, batts, propane up front. With a trailer weight of around 6200 loaded, my goal is around 750-800 tongue weight.. not 1100.
__________________
2016 International Sig 25FB
2010 LR RR S/C
Brav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:18 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member
 
Brav's Avatar
 
2016 25' International
Huntington Beach , California
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 77
I am 6'4, 240 lbs.. if it can't support the gen weight, I will be wearing the airstream like a belt.

After looking at the bin method, that is probably the approach I will take and stuff it under the rear dinette, double strapping it into place (somehow).
__________________
2016 International Sig 25FB
2010 LR RR S/C
Brav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:53 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member
 
2004 25' International CCD
Golden , Colorado
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 7
Yep, that's how we roll - with the generator container bungi'd to the dinette legs. No smell no sliding....
__________________
uncle boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:54 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
sheriff1's Avatar
 
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 463
Trust me, something like a generator in the shower pan can damage it during road travel. I can dig up some pictures to prove it. Your results may vary...


2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"
__________________
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:55 AM   #14
Rivet Master
 
gypsydad's Avatar

 
2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brav View Post
I am 6'4, 240 lbs.. if it can't support the gen weight, I will be wearing the airstream like a belt.

After looking at the bin method, that is probably the approach I will take and stuff it under the rear dinette, double strapping it into place (somehow).
At 6'4, 240, you may want to consider using the outside shower where you can turn around more freely--speaking from experience of course?
We go back and forth on the generator question(s)...after 3- 25' AS's, we still get by most of the time with our portable Go Power 80W solar, 2-AGM batteries, and a 1500W inverter; don't have microwave, but do use the hair dryer occasionally, and we watch TV and have electric coffee pot. A 2000 w generator is not quite big enough to run the air conditioner, so if that is your goal, you will likely either move up to a 3000w (heavy) or 2 smaller units= 2 bins? Most of the places we camp in summer are in northern states, so no need for air at night...getting a different TV such as a PU is other option of course; we left our Tahoe years ago for the F150, our first PU...overall utility and ride has been spectacular for use with the AS. Land Rover is very nice also, of course...guess it depends on weather you really need/want the generator...
__________________

__________________
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
COSTCO 2000w GENERATOR openroad118 Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 9 09-08-2014 08:59 PM
Yamaha 2000W Generator - When Not In Use Frank&Mike Generators & Solar Power 9 11-20-2011 08:46 PM
Costco CPE 2000W Inverter Generator Tom Bray Generators & Solar Power 10 05-30-2011 06:13 AM
80W v 2000W SpaceEgg Generators & Solar Power 3 05-11-2011 05:22 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.