Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2017, 09:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I agree with Lewster, that using the 2000W for this application will not wear out the generator sooner. A generator doesn't care what the load is from, as long as it's within the operating specs, which as he mentions above this is. No different IMO if you ran enough smaller loads to equal this load.

As long as the generator is properly maintained and not run outside of spec, it will run as designed, regardless if the load is a generator or coffee pot.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:06 PM   #22
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
If you check with US Carburation. They will state that propane use in their propane conversions are not an issue. No derating required. I have had a Yamaha 3000 eisb for 10 years with no operational problems.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:30 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
I agree with Lewster, that using the 2000W for this application will not wear out the generator sooner. A generator doesn't care what the load is from, as long as it's within the operating specs, which as he mentions above this is. No different IMO if you ran enough smaller loads to equal this load.

As long as the generator is properly maintained and not run outside of spec, it will run as designed, regardless if the load is a generator or coffee pot.
On a long hot day, the little 2000 ,actually 1600 , will be overworked, not mine
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:43 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I have a Dometic 15,000 btu a/c unit that I want to run off of a generator.
I currently use a Yamaha 3000 and it has plenty of power to spare. I am considering a Yamaha 2400 once I install the easy start in my A/c unit to save space and lessen the weight in my TV.
I understood you to say your Yamaha 3000 starts and runs the 15000BTU A/C just fine? Power to spare?
I'm asking because I'm shopping for a generator in that range. I think the Yamaha EF3000iS is rated at 2800 w. running. They also make a EF3000isB, that has a boost for a little bit for starting.
It would be good to know that a 3000 isn't limited to the 13,500 A/C.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:25 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I have the 3000 with the boost. It works well as I mentioned on a 15,000 a/c unit plus other stuff we use in the trailer. What those other things are exactly I don't know as I don't really think about it but, I never had it shut me down.
I would not try to run the microwave and A/C at the same time while on gennie power. There are lists out there that can tell you the amp draw of each appliance you may want to use in the trailer then use the gennie accordingly.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:25 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Correction:
The above post should read that I have not tried to run both the a/c and microwave at the same time on the Yamaha 3000 w/boost generator. Usually if I'm on gennie power I'm pretty frugal with electricity anyway!
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:21 AM   #27
Sam and her wheelman Zeke

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
Briggs and Stratton???

Why do I read any and all comments about the Honda and Yamaha? Seriously.

I'm in the market for ANY fine generator but, I would prefer a small one and all I see on this forum is a lovefest over Honda and Yamaha.

Aren't any others worthy? Generac? Briggs?

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks much.

2018 RAM Limited 2500 Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab and RAM boxes
upnorththree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:46 AM   #28
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I went with the Honda. I didn't test them all. I bought it online from a generator site. It's very quiet compared to other generators I hear in campgrounds. Engine noises bother me when camping. It's also very easy to handle, meaning light weight. I've had good luck with other small Honda engines. I would imagine the Yamaha, Briggs, and others are fine. I'm going with the easy start on my AC, so the 2000 is all I'll ever need. Just debating now if I want to convert to propane.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:56 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorththree View Post

I'm in the market for ANY fine generator but, I would prefer a small one and all I see on this forum is a lovefest over Honda and Yamaha.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks much.
If you have followed the discussion on Easy-Start the generator actually tested by the manufacturer was only the Honda. The Honda and Yamaha are considered the benchmark in small generators. You can certainly try the other brands but be certain to compare the specifications against the benchmark (Honda) that was tested with the Easy Start.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:45 AM   #30
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
If you have followed the discussion on Easy-Start the generator actually tested by the manufacturer was only the Honda. The Honda and Yamaha are considered the benchmark in small generators. You can certainly try the other brands but be certain to compare the specifications against the benchmark (Honda) that was tested with the Easy Start.
Correct. Even better, we have also had dozens of confirmed reports from customers that they have met with success using EasyStarts in their 13.5k & 15k rooftops powered by the Yamaha and Westinghouse 2000W models.

The only 2000W generator that we know of where a 13.5k or 15k rooftop cannot be started - even with an EasyStart - is the Champion model 73536i. It would only work with a 9k A/C system. This topic came up in another thread at this link. We tried our hardest for this customer (who is an Airstream owner), and even purchased one of these generators for testing in our factory. Post #19 in the other thread has the full story.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:32 AM   #31
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
I also am looking for an alternative to the two high priced ones. Westinghouse is coming out with one, the IGEN2500 that looks like it might be a winner. The current 2400 one has a 2 yr. warranty and the new one has a 3 yr. warranty.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:33 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
15,000btu a/c, easy start, what generator

Many different generator brands. Honda and Yamaha considered gold standard and pricey. Champion, Briggs, generac, and others seem to work just fine, and some have even gone with the amazon Chinese no brand for real cheap.

To each his own. What I have seen being on these forums for 7 months is most AS owners have decent disposable income and go for proven well known brands. Or they are experienced and have learned you get what you pay for.

I am not sure I even need a generator at this point. What is important to me is weight, footprint/size, and sound. I am looking at Honda, Yamaha, and Champion. These all seem in same ballpark, with the champion about half the cost. I am leaning towards champion if I can find a clean LP conversion that doesn't require an outside regulator.

I have a generac for Home use and power back up and it has been awesome. Converted it to trifuel. Runs in LP exclusively now.

Everyone has their own opinions and needs. There are plenty out there, find the one that matches what your key priorities are.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:48 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I bought the 3000w Briggs & Stratton. It looks to be a quality product. It has wheels and a telescoping handle for easy maneuvering. It's fairly easy to load at 80lbs using an intermediate platform to put it on such an ice cooler... lean it against the cooler and then grab the opposit handle to lift it onto the cooler. Then you only have to lift the full weight without having to bend all the way over and risk hurting your back.

If I had known about the EasyStart I would have purchased that and the Honda 2000 since it would load up even easier. I still may get the EasyStart though.
ATownTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:59 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
On a long hot day, the little 2000 ,actually 1600 , will be overworked, not mine
Use any generator for any purpose and I can guarantee you it will eventually wear out.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:51 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks much.
I've had a Kipor 2000 for 10 years and is still starts and runs just fine.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:12 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
I'm part of the lovefest. Not because I enjoy spending twice as much, but I had experience with the red ones at a former job and they were the quietist and almost never required service. Now maybe had I used Brand C, I would have loved them just as much, but I took a sure thing. I bought my red 3000 from a guy who was switching to 2 red 2000's and a parallel kit. So, there's plenty of opinions.
I'm skeptical of brands like Westinghouse. In many cases, the name is sold to a Chinese company who sells a product and many think it's "Made in the USA". Maybe it works just as well. Honda makes some of their motors in China, under strict guidelines. China CAN make great products, look at I-phones. The question is always "is it made in China to get the cheapest product possible?"
I learned long ago that buying quality once is better than buying twice.
My first MH had a Generac generator. Worked fine.
I thought long and hard about buying Brand C with dual fuel. I stuck with Brand H.
Everything is a compromise, even an Airstream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Use any generator for any purpose and I can guarantee you it will eventually wear out.
The question is when?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfa440 View Post
Westinghouse builds a good looking gentleman
I hate autocorrect also.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:19 PM   #37

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
It will run on the 2000.
I've read many of your posts on various subjects. What's the belief on Briggs and Stratton or Generac running this soft-starter?

The you tube and micro air videos review ONLY the Honda.

If many here on airforums believe the Yamaha will be successful (without it being tested), why would the Briggs and Stratton or Generac not do the job as well?

While it can be said one should choose to run with the proven, Briggs and Stratton is no slouch when it comes to engines. They were in the engine business when Honda was still in diapers and I am giving heavy consideration to B&S.

Not just price but size and weight as well. And B&S and Generac are well within the same db range ratings as Honda and Yamaha.

The Honda name is always quality but, Honda is in the neighborhood of $1099 for a 2k while a B&S 2k can be had for less than $600. That PAYS for the soft starter OR, almost two B&S'.

Thanks.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:24 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
The easy start does not care about the generator brand. What matters is the generator rating and capacity. No reason a generac 2000w couldn't do the same if the ratings (max, peak, steady state).

The rest is preference, size, weight, noise etc. my 3000 watt home general could do the job easy, it's noisy, heat, and big. Not what I want for use in camping......

I think there are any good options out there, just depends on what is important to you....
Old 04-21-2017, 09:24 PM   #39

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
I've had a Kipor 2000 for 10 years and is still starts and runs just fine.

George
Thanks for the input, George. I'm looking for a reason not to buy B&S 2k to run this soft-starter.

Do you use your Kipor to run an A/C? I have a 13.5 Dometic on our AS and I want to travel as light as possible.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:51 PM   #40
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
The easy start does not care about the generator brand. What matters is the generator rating and capacity. No reason a generac 2000w couldn't do the same if the ratings (max, peak, steady state).
Actually I don't think this is exactly true. Matteo reported that the Champion 2000w generator was NOT able to work. Remember that when the AC starts there's still a brief overload in terms of power consumption. It appears the Honda and Yamaha (and, I suspect but cannot confirm, Generac) will handle that surge, but cheaper generators will not.

Go figure, you apparently DO get something more when you pay twice the price!

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags