Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2018, 12:46 PM   #141
Sam and her wheelman Zeke

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by glcmranger View Post
I just Pre-ordered the NEW Honda 2200i (not 2000i) from Electric Generators Direct. Honda is delivering the newly-designed Honda to Dealers in April. The new Honda is the same size/weight as the old Honda but you get 200 extra watts (or more importantly 2 extra amps) of run power. I have an older model Yamaha that just won't keep the A/C on consistently before it faults out. I see that Camping World has the old Honda 2000i on sale to get rid of their stock.
Everyone's personal decision is the best decision. Having said that, I went with a pretty Airstream blue Westinghouse iXLT 2200/1800 running watts.

So far I am very pleased. Quiet, all the doors seat snug and true, it offers a separate choke switch from the throttle switch which I like, as well as a cigarette lighter port for USB/12volt charging. And it weighs in at 43 pounds with 59Db.

Their iGen 2200 (later generation) is identical to the iXLT without these features. But, it's nice too.

I am a value-type person. Not one who decides from the right side of the menu. I love paying deep discount prices but I will not stoop to cheap knockoffs. Every time I've tried that, I've been burned.

But, I ordered this online through a big-box store for under $500 out-the-door. Three year warranty. Westinghouse name. And Soft Start claims it has been field tested.

So, I figured, why not?

Best of luck with your decision. I believe Honda is the standard.

2018 RAM Limited 2500 Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab and RAM boxes
upnorththree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:52 PM   #142
Sam and her wheelman Zeke

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetguy View Post
The issue is in startup ..not running. The Easy Start solves this and a Honda 2000 runs my Dometic 15000 just fine. Even on propane.
That's outstanding. Bravo. I hope I have similar success with the Westinghouse 2200 iXLT.

The machine is outstanding but, I haven't ordered my Soft/Easy Start yet. Got to do something before our Texas caravan.

2018 RAM Limited 2500 Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab and RAM boxes
upnorththree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:28 PM   #143
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Peoria , Arizona
possible issue any thoughts

I installed my easy start, the instructions were very easy to follow.

When I went to start my air conditioner the thermostat had an E1 error. In reading the manual for the thermostat it said the zone is not being recognized. I followed the instructions to find all the zone but for some reason the thermostat now can not find the zone I installed the easy start on. Any thoughts on what I can check / how I might fix?

John J.
jjabkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:34 PM   #144
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjabkowski View Post
I installed my easy start, the instructions were very easy to follow.

When I went to start my air conditioner the thermostat had an E1 error. In reading the manual for the thermostat it said the zone is not being recognized. I followed the instructions to find all the zone but for some reason the thermostat now can not find the zone I installed the easy start on. Any thoughts on what I can check / how I might fix?
Hi John. I just saw your e-mail inquiry to our sales account, and I answered it already within the last 5 minutes, but you left out the detail about your "E1" fault. The E1 fault in the Dometic Mult-zone Thermostat is and indication that the communication cable between the thermostat display itself and the circuit board inside one of your Dometic Penguin II units has become disconnected. This likely happened when you installed the EasyStart. It has happened to many of our customers in the past.

Therefore, open up the electric box for the unit into which you installed the EasyStart, and look deep down into the box, at the very bottom of the circuit board. There are two RJ-12 (phone) jacks and cables with modular plugs. Dollars to donuts one of them is unplugged.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:07 PM   #145
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Peoria , Arizona
zone 2

I just checked the bottom of the control board and the temp gauge is plugged in. Still not recognizing the zone. Might be time for an electrician, not sure how to troubleshoot further
Old 03-27-2018, 07:11 PM   #146
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
I just checked the bottom of the control board and the temp gauge is plugged in. Still not recognizing the zone. Might be time for an electrician, not sure how to troubleshoot further
Did that zone work and respond properly before you installed the EasyStart?
Old 03-27-2018, 07:16 PM   #147
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Peoria , Arizona
yes, we just went camping this past weekend and both zones were working fine. That is how I got the 1 E error, zone 2 was still in thermostat but since it can not now communicate with air conditioner we get the zone error.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:23 PM   #148
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
yes, we just went camping this past weekend and both zones were working fine. That is how I got the 1 E error, zone 2 was still in thermostat but since it can not now communicate with air conditioner we get the zone error.
Then it is obvious you disconnected or disrupted something in the thermostat communication cables during the EasyStart installation. This problem has happened numerous times to other customers, and has always been easily remedied. Please check the modular communication cable connections again more closely. Then double check all of the other connections at the bottom of the board, especially the 2-pin 12V connector (since that will cause the same fault if it gets disconnected and the board loses its 12V power). Also make sure nothing got damaged at the bottom of the board when you were moving the wiring around.

You may need to open up your other, working unit (zone) electric box to get a guide on exactly what all of these communication and 12V power connections look like when they are properly connected.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:45 AM   #149
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Curious, has anybody tested the new Honda 2200 generator against a 15,000 btu AC with the easystart? At altitude and/or high heat? Just wondering if this new Honda product is really all that, or marketing hype.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Airstream Forums mobile app
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:32 PM   #150
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Navasota , Texas
Hard Start v. Soft Start ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
The newer Penguins come with a good hard start, but some find they can start on a 2k genny, others not. The Easy Start is a sure thing for a 2k genny.
Larry

Please explain what a "hard start" versus a "soft start" means. I don't know anything about this. I just bought a pre-owned 25ft Flying cloud and I'd like to run the 15K BTU ac on a 2200 Honda. I think what you guys are talking about is just changing out the starting capacitor but I am not sure. Is this item on Ebay what I need to put into the AC?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motor-Start....c100005.m1851

Thanks for any help,
faberm
Navasota, Texaw
faberm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:22 AM   #151
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by faberm View Post
Please explain what a "hard start" versus a "soft start" means.

A hard start assists the compressor with a burst of current to get the compressor motor spinning quicker. They are basically large capacitors and come installed with most AC units I believe.

A soft start assists the compressor by slowly getting it started by ramping up the voltage over time. It is still very quick but much much slower than normal. Startups are quieter and more gentile on the compressor. The EasyStarts also learn and optimize based on the particular unit to minimize the startup voltage.

You will want an EasyStart 364.

https://www.microair.net/products/ea...r-conditioners

Tags