Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
For the person who asked about the Univolt.. It is generic term now for the power supply/battery charger that the 110 volt power goes to first, inside the trailer. It draws electrical current "off the top" of the incoming supply to charge batteries (Priority 1!) and then provide 12V power to inside lamps, fans, refrigerator controller, furnace and water heater control circuits and valves, etc.. Whatever is leftover is available for the Air Conditioner or Wall Outlets or microwave in the trailer.. Most trailers are wired so the air conditioner and microwave can't be tuned on or active at the same time (those plus residual current load of univolt/converter exceed 30 Amps..).

If generators are surging and revving up and down, then I'd suspect one or both generators, or the bridging cable/hookup. When our Honda 2000 capacity is exceeded, it just tries to rev a little and shuts down. Using the Eco setting does cause a lot more speed variations with lighter loads, but should stabilize.. We also discovered that carb jets do get clogged if units have sat a while with gas in them, and it takes 15 or 20 minutes of running to clear all of the carb jets.. We've not had good luck with Stabil or other alleged gas stabilizers, though I realize that is a different thread altogether...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Make sure the gas caps on both generators are turned to "on"...this allows air into the system so the genny can draw fuel. If they are in the "off" position, they will run for a while, then falter and stop. I have forgotten to switch them to "on" more than once!
Yep, this would cause the generators to shut down. I've done this before too. I suppose it's possible that even if turned to "on". It may not be venting properly. One more thing to check.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Does your trailer have an electric water heater option?

If so, it is a heavy electrical load.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Did both units rev when ac kicked on or tried?Are both units showing overload or just one?

I have a 15000 btu ac unit and the same gens that you have,I start my gens then go to thermostat and turn on ac it usually takes 2-3 mins the gens ramp up for 3-5 seconds and then the ac comes on and gens rpms fall back down

.Eco mode only works for charging Batteries or light load.
It sounds like you are in eco mode
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
2007 27' Classic FB
Quartz Hill , California
Smile ANSWERED by Honda - Other things trying to come on!

I spoke to Honda to get help and they said to make sure ALL things are turned to propane gas or off.
He explained that as soon as the trailer has power coming to it, it attempts to start heating the water in the hot water heater, and it starts to run the refrigerator that could either be on electric or auto, or gas.
He said to double check that all are set to propane or off.
After checking, our little button switch in the bathroom was in the "on" position and not off for water so I turned it off.

I now have a perfectly running AC unit running in my airstream and I am ready for my next trip!

Thanks to you all for your help.
I hope this helps another RVer who is having the same problem.
Jonnagyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
2007 27' Classic FB
Quartz Hill , California
I had this problem previously - not this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Make sure the gas caps on both generators are turned to "on"...this allows air into the system so the genny can draw fuel. If they are in the "off" position, they will run for a while, then falter and stop. I have forgotten to switch them to "on" more than once!
For sure, this will get you. I am still having the main 2000 Honda not run smoothly, and when I asked the guy at Honda, he said, it can "look" for a load. Not sure about that, but it would be nice if it ran as nice as the companion I got with it.
Jonnagyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #27
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
I had the same problem, it turned out my starting cap was marginal. I changed to an easy start kit and now the dual 2000's have no problem kicking the 13500 off.
There's your answer.....you need what is also referred to as a "hard start capacitor" installed on the AC unit itself.
Easy to install by an AC tech and the part is not very expensive.
LFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Jonnagyp ... You didn't say, so I just wanted to check to make sure you are connecting your Airstream's shore power cord to the Companion's 30-amp outlet...you do need an adapter for it (which converts the twist & turn female plug on the generator to a regular female 30 amp female plug). Pic below.
Attached Images

AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Glad you found it.

Lots of things to remember.

One can force the refer to propane by choosing LP instead of auto.

And, can still have hot water by using propane.

Your pair of EU2000i should be happy.

Look at an extended run fuel tank. We have one that can be connected to both units.

It is a handy way to transport fuel, and not have to refuel the gensets to often.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC View Post
There's your answer.....you need what is also referred to as a "hard start capacitor" installed on the AC unit itself.
Easy to install by an AC tech and the part is not very expensive.
A little bit off thread, but do any of you find that a hard start capacitor is beneficial when in a park with relatively low voltage? I noted this summer at several parks where the voltage was down around 108V, the A/C seemed to struggle to start up. Not bad....just labored a bit when the compressor would come on. Make sense?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #31
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
A voltage regulator is what is wanted for low park power: FRANKS, HUGHES or POWERMASTER. Also called power booster, etc.

Other threads on this. I was going to go with a hardwired unit, but after another here had his burn up, I'll stick with one I can place under bumper (and cable lock it).

I've used 5-2-1 starters on home A/C units, but I gues we should ask Vernon what he used on his (brand? capacity?) roof A/C unit.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #32
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
A little bit off thread, but do any of you find that a hard start capacitor is beneficial when in a park with relatively low voltage? I noted this summer at several parks where the voltage was down around 108V, the A/C seemed to struggle to start up. Not bad....just labored a bit when the compressor would come on. Make sense?
A friend of mine who is an A/C tech said it's a shame for any A/C to not have a good start capacitor on it. They're cheap and make your a/c a lot happier even with good voltage. It does not FIX low voltage and that is a serious problem, but it will help from drawing the voltage down even lower.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
What was the fix for his problem?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
A voltage regulator is what is wanted for low park power: FRANKS, HUGHES or POWERMASTER. Also called power booster, etc.

Other threads on this. I was going to go with a hardwired unit, but after another here had his burn up, I'll stick with one I can place under bumper (and cable lock it).

I've used 5-2-1 starters on home A/C units, but I gues we should ask Vernon what he used on his (brand? capacity?) roof A/C unit.

Starting caps are a trade off. My unit, with the 20 year old cap would cause a serious 'grrr' every time the compressor started. A rather Manly sound but required some serious short term amps that campground power could suck up but would knock a genset to its knees. Once running, the amp draw was low. An 'easy start cap' is available (google it) and it eases the compressor up to speed, the down side is that when its running, the current draw is slightly higher and it causes the compressor to run hotter.

Goofy stuff having to do with capacitance, impedance, lead, lag and AC current.

Burp.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #35
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Starting caps are a trade off. My unit, with the 20 year old cap would cause a serious 'grrr' every time the compressor started. Burp.
A 20 year old starter cap is going to be dead and working against you. No help on startup and converting amps to heat while running. Try a new one, I bet it sounds and works better.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Arrow Dometic A/C unit: hard start kit

RV Air Conditioner Hard Start Capacitor | ModMyRV

installing hard start kit on Dometic A/C unit: so easy a cave man can do it..

we uses to install them on older units where the compressor motor was starting to show age.. it helped up the power for starting especially on hot summer days in NC.

they are very easy to install just hook up wire to existing terminals.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Ashland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to albert Send a message via Yahoo to albert
Quote:
I had the same problem, it turned out my starting cap was marginal. I changed to an easy start kit and now the dual 2000's have no problem kicking the 13500 off.
Hi Vernon, what is a starting cap? How do you get one?
Thanks!
albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
RV Air Conditioner Hard Start Capacitor | ModMyRV

installing hard start kit on Dometic A/C unit: so easy a cave man can do it..

we uses to install them on older units where the compressor motor was starting to show age.. it helped up the power for starting especially on hot summer days in NC.

they are very easy to install just hook up wire to existing terminals.
Great link Carl!
Here's a link to the Cap referenced on that page.

Supco SPP6E E Series Electronic Potential Relay Style Hard Start Kit, 1/2 - 3 Horsepower Range, 88-106F Capacitor Size: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert View Post
Hi Vernon, what is a starting cap? How do you get one?
Thanks!
After a bunch of Googling, I decided to stick with a factory kit instead of aftermarket...

I believe this is the kit I bought at my local RV shop.

Dometic Duo-Therm Brisk Air Conditioner Motor Hard Start Kit - $2..

I strongly suggest you do a bunch of research, even Dometic says not to use their own kit on some AC units
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote