Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
1963 28' Ambassador
Gadsden , Alabama
Wire question

On my 57 Flying Cloud I am putting a new umbilical cord and break-away switch. When I opened up the cover where the junctions are made there is an old romex cable and both the white and black wires are made up with the white wire from the old original umbilical. Where does this romex wire go? It is inside the wall and goes up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
copycat carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Okay I know nothing about 57's or flying clouds but I would think that the romex would be overkill for the umbilical unless the tv has an aux generator and was designed to output some outrageous power! Sounds like a po mod which probably goes to a charging circuit. With the power and battery (if installed) are disconnected short the romex leads together and using a meter start checking the wires in the power center (converter area). If you had access to a wire chaser (tone generator) it would be faster.
Cliff
Old 10-12-2013, 06:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by copycat carl View Post
... Where does this romex wire go? It is inside the wall and goes up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I also am only guessing, but I suspect the wire going up the wall is likely the circuit for the marker lamps topside. If there are additional wires, that may also be the route they used to get to the turn/brake lamps aft. Are there lights in the ceiling of this trailer? If so, are they 12v or 120v? Perhaps someone with firsthand knowledge of this vintage will add more to this.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If the white wire in the umbilical is the source trace that wire back to the male end at the TV connection to determine what it is.

Some older trailer, many brands, used to use romex as the brake feed wiring. The fact that they are using both legs would indicate that is to reduce voltage drop over the length of the wire. Not saying it is the brake wiring but finding the source in the umbilical will tell you.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
1963 28' Ambassador
Gadsden , Alabama
Thanks for all of the ideas and suggestions. I spent some more time on the wiring issue today and what I discovered was that the old romex cable went up to where the original over head light fixture was. A previous owner has removed the fixture. So that problem is solved. I have to get a new cable back to my trailer brakes. Is the wire that you use on the trailer brakes a particular type? If any of you could answer that for me I would be greatful.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Automotive stranded #12 wire will be fine. Don't use #14 as it is smaller and you will see a voltage drop across it. Some wire the ground side back to the front of the trailer to the grounding block. I like to ground as close to the brakes on the frame

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
1963 28' Ambassador
Gadsden , Alabama
Thanks, I will get some 12awg automotive wire. Thanks for your help on this issue and the others as well.