Old 12-02-2014, 11:27 PM   #29
Streamline Imperial
Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
As long as they don't get too much heat, LEDs are the way to go in the range hood. Someone mentioned putting LEDs in the oven... have you run the oven since?

One thing to be aware of though, older technology and cheaper LEDs have a very limited spectrum. They are a blue LED with a yellow phosphor that downconverts some of the blue light to yellow, tricking the eye to see it as "white." Newer and better LEDs have a wider spectrum that renders colors pretty well. When I put LEDs in my SOB in 2008, I noticed it was difficult to cook meat correctly. There was so little red in the output that raw, cooked, and overcooked were difficult to discern. At the time, I added some discrete red LEDs to my fixtures, with an option to have red-only. THis gave me good color rendering on the stove, and the ability to have night vision preserving low red lighting when going in and out of the trailer, such as during meteor showers.

Modern phosphors in high end brands like Cree seem to mitigate this effect. Beware, there are a LOT of cheap LEDs out there claiming to be a name brand, which are not.

It seems I love the mountains and deserts more than my friends do. I sure miss them!

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:53 PM   #30
2010 20' Flying Cloud
Lakeside , Montana
Another source for led's,

StreamDog is offline   Reply With Quote