Old 05-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Florence , South Carolina
Which one is the correct 12 volt supply?

I have a corroded fuse holder in my 1977 Tradewind on the "brown" 12v circuit. I've also got a camping trip coming up soon and a new subfloor to install (that's a whole other post). Anyways as a temporary measure I am going to install an in line fuse holder for my "brown" circuit.

One side of the in line fuse holder will connect to the brown wire from the brown circuit. The other side of the in line fuse holder needs to connect to the 12v power supply (right???).

My question is where is the 12v power supply? Do I connect it to the positive battery cable? Or one of the cables from my Progressive Dynamics 9245 power converter (which replaced the original Univolt)?

I figure I can just connect it to the positive battery cable, but will that mean that the brown circuit will always be running off of the battery even when connected to shore power? If that is the case the Univolt will still recharge the battery though, right?

If I don't connect it to the positive battery cable where is the equivalent power source from the Univolt/Progressive Dynamics converter?

I'm attaching a few of pictures of my fuse panel to this post. Sorry about the lighting in the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-183217279.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	455.6 KB
ID:	185914   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-425836194.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	185916  

Name:	image-954550440.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	426.8 KB
ID:	185917   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2755286632.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	427.3 KB
ID:	185918  

Name:	image-3531539556.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	491.5 KB
ID:	185919   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1472821414.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	535.5 KB
ID:	185920  

Old 05-16-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Is it possible to take pictures with better light? It is very hard to get the big picture as the light is on such a small area.
On looking at the picture again, you can hook into the empty "Bat 2 pos 50 amp", just to the right of the fat red wire. Use an in line fuse of the correct amperage for whatever is connected to it as 50 amp is way to high for most electrical items.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Yes, I will take some better pictures tomorrow and post them up here. Thanks for your fast response.

So you're saying to connect one end of the in line fuse holder (which is rated for, and has, a 20 amp fuse) to the Batt 2 positive screw and the other end to the "brown" circuit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
Is it possible to take pictures with better light? It is very hard to get the big picture as the light is on such a small area.
On looking at the picture again, you can hook into the empty "Bat 2 pos 50 amp", just to the right of the fat red wire. Use an in line fuse of the correct amperage for whatever is connected to it as 50 amp is way to high for most electrical items.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
As long as you fuse your "brown" circuit with a 15 amp to 20 amp fuse, you can attach it to any 12 volt hot line, be it the battery directly, or the PD converter output. They are all interconnected anyway. It is hard to read you photos, but I think the large red wire which feeds the 50 amp fuse below it could be the easiest place to run the fuse wire from.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Thank you. I will try this tomorrow or Saturday and report back. By the way, the brown circuit currently has a 20 amp fuse so that's what I'll replace it with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
As long as you fuse your "brown" circuit with a 15 amp to 20 amp fuse, you can attach it to any 12 volt hot line, be it the battery directly, or the PD converter output. They are all interconnected anyway. It is hard to read you photos, but I think the large red wire which feeds the 50 amp fuse below it could be the easiest place to run the fuse wire from.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcannon View Post
Yes, I will take some better pictures tomorrow and post them up here. Thanks for your fast response.

So you're saying to connect one end of the in line fuse holder (which is rated for, and has, a 20 amp fuse) to the Batt 2 positive screw and the other end to the "brown" circuit?
Yes that is exactly what I am saying. The "Bat 2 terminal is jumpered on the bottom from the other fuse board and is a hot lead protected with a large fuse. By connecting to the top of it which has nothing connected now, and installing a 20 amp inline fuse holder you basically are doing what the factory did to start with. Then connect your brown wire to the other side of the inline fuse. Good luck, Brian
Old 05-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Great, thanks for your help. I will do this this weekend and then update this post again with some better pictures for anyone who is having this issue in the future.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

-Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
Yes that is exactly what I am saying. The "Bat 2 terminal is jumpered on the bottom from the other fuse board and is a hot lead protected with a large fuse. By connecting to the top of it which has nothing connected now, and installing a 20 amp inline fuse holder you basically are doing what the factory did to start with. Then connect your brown wire to the other side of the inline fuse. Good luck, Brian
Old 05-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Thanks to everyone who helped me solve my problem. I can confirm that the information in this thread is correct.

When installing an in line fuse to one of the 12v circuits just use either of the positive battery terminals for one side and the "brown" circuit in my case (or whatever circuit you're having trouble with) to the other side.

My lights are back! Thank you all!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-287892494.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	466.4 KB
ID:	186064   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3808124457.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	456.3 KB
ID:	186065  

Tags