Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
Where's that wire?

I need some help please. I am trying to locate a wire that supplies power from the umbilical to the front running lights of a 67 Sovereign.

Thus far, we have brakes, running, turn lights all working or at least have voltage except for the back up lights and the running lights on the front end cap. I haven't managed to get the back up light housing off yet so I don't know yet if that is a bulb or power issue.

So at this point the three running lights on the front and the first one on each side of the trailer are what I am trying to find the supply circuit for. Since the tv to trailer umbilical wiring is new we weren't sure what was going on with the front lights until we found a chewed off extra circuit in the original wiring. A volt test confirmed that the front lights were on their own circuit and in series. Now to figure out where the supply was. I posted a question to Eubanks who has a similar year and model. He had a similar issue and found his supply circuit in the front left corner. So we tried there but no luck. Does anyone have any alternate suggestions for where that circuit might be? I'd really like to find and fix it without tearing apart the inside of the trailer.

Thanks,
Old 05-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I don't remember how the front cabinets are done in the 67's. If they go through, or are cut into the front interior end caps, as they were on the later ones (69 and up) you can access the back of the front running lights by removing the upper front cabinets. That is not easy, but also not too difficult, depending on how AS did the exact install.

Now, if the front interior end cap is solid, and the cabinet is attached to the cap or through the cap with screws, all bets are off and I have no easy solution ideas.

However, be absolutely sure that the lights are all working. I have had all of the bulbs on running lights on Airstreams with corrosion problems and NONE of them worked. Cleaning them up or replacing them was the solution. I would take a battery and test wires to one of the front running lights directly to be sure it works. That may also light up the remainder if indeed they are on a wire circuit which is disconnected somewhere under the trailer or in the walls.

Wiring issues on a 46 year old unit can become a challenge, especially when PO's did who knows what to them.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
Thanks for the suggestions 'idroba'. Unfortunately for this particular situation the end cap is solid with a wood cabinet screwed to it. We did check the lights by using a jumper wire to go from the functional rear lights to the front lights. They all had power at that point so its definitely in the connection between the front lights and the umbilical. I just wish I knew where that connection was.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
I have a 1968 Safari, that I just finished rewiring, the supply wire runs from the umbilical cord to the left from corner just above where the frame is, then thru a hole in the floor/ frame and into the wall, where it is tied in series to all the front running lights.
To my way of thinking, the weakest point is where the wire goes thru the frame. There should be a small patch/hole in the belly pan where the umbilical cord makes this connection, it is a red 12 ga wire running forward, all the rest run to the rear of the trailer.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
Thanks David and Diana!

We checked the left front corner and no wire; but our patch is on the right so I think we will check the right side too. Maybe with our model they did it a little different. If we still can't find it I guess we will go fishin'.