Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
where does this wire go?

The wires are located up from under the gaucho under a small plastic panel. I'm assuming that they have something to do with the exterior running lights.

Problem, I have 2 wires that have been cut, a white one and a red one. I can see where the white one was cut from but I can't find the other end of the red one. I even took back off the lower skin to check to see if I had trapped it behind the wall, but nope nothing there.

I have a 72 assemble manual but I can't find any break down of that section of electrical. Am I missing it?
If you click on the picture it should make it bigger.
Thanks,

Annette
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1066.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	78189  
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
That's a tough one. It looks like several wires have been replaced or moved. If it was me, I would meter each of the existing wires with the TV attached and find out their function. Turn on the left blinker and see which one has power on and then off. Put the TV in reverse and see which one turns on. Do that until you find out the function of each wire. Then you might want to see what is not working as far as lights, brakes or hitch jack. With all this information, you should be able to figure out the puzzle.

OR,
Maybe the red wire broke off under the other wire nut (one with out the cut wire. You could take the wire nut off and see if it is broken there.

Either way, I would be careful when hooking up any wire that may have been cut or removed. Maybe it was done for a reason.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The gray romex wire, is that the electronic brakes. What id the round item that we can see the back of. I ask these question to get a better idea of what we are up against.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
That looks to me like the inside end of the 7 way umbilical plug. Yellow= brakes Red= left tail + stop Brown=right turn + stop Green= running lights tail White= ground Blue=charge. My guess on the cut red and white wires is for the power jack and/or breakaway switch. The white wire goes from the center pin on the 7 way to a thermal mini breaker. The red goes from the other minibreaker connection to the power jack and breakaway switch.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:19 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
That looks to me like the inside end of the 7 way umbilical plug. Yellow= brakes Red= left tail + stop Brown=right turn + stop Green= running lights tail White= ground Blue=charge. My guess on the cut red and white wires is for the power jack and/or breakaway switch. The white wire goes from the center pin on the 7 way to a thermal mini breaker. The red goes from the other minibreaker connection to the power jack and breakaway switch.

You're right it is the umbilical plug. I just can't figure out where the red wire should attach too.

Annette
Old 04-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Hi Annette,
Looking more carefully at your photo I am reasonably sure the cut red and white wires are for the breakaway switch and power jack. Does the following make sense: The cut white wire connects to a yellow wire (brake) this yellow wire comes from the breakaway switch. This yellow wire connects to the 7 way where it connects to another yellow brake wire. The cut red wire should connect to a small box with 2 connectors below or in the area of the 7 way. The other end of the red wire powers the power jack and the breakaway switch.You might need to poke around in the fiberglass insulation to find the mini breaker. It should be between the inside and outside skin. This is the mini breaker for the electrical circuit for the power jack and break away switch. If my assumptions are correct you wont have any power to the power jack (if you have one) or the break away switch and you may not have any trailer brakes. The unanswered question is why were these wires cut in the first place? It could have been to disable a faulty break away switch, power jack, bad mini breaker or a dead short. If you look under the tongue you should see where the wires come out. If you still have brakes someone must have wired in a jumper wire to bypass the break away switch. If the break away switch is bad it is a easy repair. It would help if you could find the mini breaker and see if the wires are attached. A close up photo would also help. I assume you do not have a service manual. I have a good diagram I could fax you if you need it.

Marshall
Old 04-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Hi Annette,
Looking more carefully at your photo I am reasonably sure the cut red and white wires are for the breakaway switch and power jack. Does the following make sense: The cut white wire connects to a yellow wire (brake) this yellow wire comes from the breakaway switch. This yellow wire connects to the 7 way where it connects to another yellow brake wire. The cut red wire should connect to a small box with 2 connectors below or in the area of the 7 way. The other end of the red wire powers the power jack and the breakaway switch.You might need to poke around in the fiberglass insulation to find the mini breaker. It should be between the inside and outside skin. This is the mini breaker for the electrical circuit for the power jack and break away switch. If my assumptions are correct you wont have any power to the power jack (if you have one) or the break away switch and you may not have any trailer brakes. The unanswered question is why were these wires cut in the first place? It could have been to disable a faulty break away switch, power jack, bad mini breaker or a dead short. If you look under the tongue you should see where the wires come out. If you still have brakes someone must have wired in a jumper wire to bypass the break away switch. If the break away switch is bad it is a easy repair. It would help if you could find the mini breaker and see if the wires are attached. A close up photo would also help. I assume you do not have a service manual. I have a good diagram I could fax you if you need it.

Marshall
Marshall,

I have a service manual I couldn't find the diagram of the plug, what page is it on?

Annette
Old 04-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Here is the plug from the 75 service manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plug.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	78216  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
In the 72 Service Manual the diagram (7 way connector) is on page 191. In the 73 Service Manual the same diagram is on page 210. Both of these are more of a drawing than a schematic and will help to understand what to look for. Anybody out there able to scan one in? let me know if you want me to fax it.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:54 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Thanks Guys,

Annette