Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Mount Vernon , Washington
What SHOULD these do?

I've got two switches. Wall mounted and riveted in place, indicating (to me, at least) they are original/factory installations. One is just inside the door (forward) and the other is on the same (curb) side, forward of the side window but not quite to the front windows.
I'm guessing one of them is for the outside light. This, however, despite a new bulb, does not work with either switch.
I'm sure I can eventually trace where each one should go and what it should be doing... but if anyone can shed a little light on this, it would help a lot. If I know what the switches should do, I can ensure the wiring is intact and fix the things.... grrrrr! This one is frustrating!
Ellie & Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
There should in fact be 3 switches. The two nearest the door operate the over door porch light and the galley light. The galley light switch is a double switch, meaning that both it and the one in the galley will operate that light. There should be a third switch in front of the front side window to turn the scare light on and off. It may be hidden behind a curtain.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Hmmm.... I don't have an over door porch light on this trailer. My only outside light (besides marker lights) is a 3" round light inset forward of the front side window. Is this what you're referring to as the "scare light"? I also don't have a third switch. These are the only two (like them) in the trailer.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie & Carl View Post
Hmmm.... I don't have an over door porch light on this trailer. My only outside light (besides marker lights) is a 3" round light inset forward of the front side window. Is this what you're referring to as the "scare light"? I also don't have a third switch. These are the only two (like them) in the trailer.
Yes, the round white light is the scare light. What year is your trailer?
Old 05-09-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Drummond Island , Michigan
For me its hard to tell when the outside light is on or off especially when there is other outside lights. On my A/s those rocker switches are not labled "off" and "on" so I have to either remember to turn off the step light or open the door to check. Then turn the switch to the off position if I don't want the light on all night long. The purpose of this story is that in order to check out the light over the door you first have to make sure it is turned "on". My step light did not work at first because the ground was bad because of corrosion. Turn the light on and using a multimeter or 12v test light check to see that you indeed have power at the light. If there is no power, then check the fuse for that circuit. If the fuse is good a continuity check of the wiring and the switch should be done. If there are multiple lights on that circuit that shoud be pretty easy to do if some come on and some do not. The correct bulb that goes in the outside light is an 1141. The previous owner of my A/S put another automotive bulb in the fixture that was brighter but also hotter and took more power to run. Which did two things, burned the lense in the light fixture and depleted the the battery much quicker when boondocking, especially if some dummy forgot to turn the light off before going to bed.
Ahzmyrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The two nearest the door operate the over door porch light and the galley light. The galley light switch is a double switch, meaning that both it and the one in the galley will operate that light.
My trailer is a 1969. I had thought the switch inside the door was for an overhead light fixture (of which I have two in the forward part of the trailer - both non-functioning) so you didn't walk into a totally dark trailer. The galley light you referred to... would that be an overhead light?
Old 05-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Well... I've now determined that the scare light switch is bad. Voltage to the switch, but nothing on the other side in either switch position. Can these original style switches still be purchased? Or do I need to look at obtaining something different?