Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
What is this wire ?

Hey All,
I have a wire that looks like it is connected to a sensor and it is directly behind the blinker bulb both sides . I have a 1976 Sovereign 31 foot with rear bath center bed and kitchen sink at end of counter.

Thanks
MrCrowley

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcrowley View Post
Hey All,
I have a wire that looks like it is connected to a sensor and it is directly behind the blinker bulb both sides . I have a 1976 Sovereign 31 foot with rear bath center bed and kitchen sink at end of counter.

Thanks
MrCrowley
That is "not" a wire, but it is "fiber optics".

When the systems are functioning properly, you can monitor your trailer tail and brakes lights from the drivers seat of your tow vehicle.

Look for about a 2" X 2" cover, on the lower road side panel.

DO NOT in any way cut the cable, as it's plastic, not copper wire.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Where do I get a wiring diagram for that and is that something that can be fixed? One side has been chewed through by mice or chipmunk. I have never hear of anyone talking about or mentioning that is that factory done?

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Old 11-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #4
x

XXXX , XXXX
As Andy states it is not a wire. It is a fiber optic cable. When either the brakes or signals are applied the light from the bulb is reflected through the cable and illuminates the side markes so you can see it from drivers side mirror. It is not repairable, replacement of your chewed cable is the only option. Yes it is a factory item. A wiring diagram is not needed as one cable goes on left lamp and the other goes on right lamp.
Only Andy can tell you if the part is available from A/S. Maybe some other fiber optic cable can be fabricated and used.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:40 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Before I get into a information sink hole where would I get information on that I did not see it in the service manual?

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Old 11-12-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
x

XXXX , XXXX
The service manual lists it as an option. The location is on the page of the 12VDC exterior wiring diagram. What exactly do you need to know?
Old 11-12-2010, 10:58 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
How does it setup in the tow vehicle? Is it part of the towing harness?

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Old 11-12-2010, 11:23 PM   #8
x

XXXX , XXXX
It does not set up in the tow vehicle nor is it part of the towing harness. It is simply a visual indicator of the status of your turn signals and brake lights. When you put on the brakes or the turn signal the bulb lights up and that light is reflected through the fiber optic cable and shines out the other end of the cable which is loacted on the lower side panel on the road side of the trailer towards the rear. There will be a small 2" by 2" box with two small ends of the fiber optic cables facing forwards. You can visually see this little indicator by looking in your side mirror back towards the trailer.
Click on this link for a few pictures of what it looks like.
http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?m...roducts_id=843