Old 09-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
What is this and is it important- inline fuse?

My 06 Safari FB-Le has two of the cheap plastic RV style lights in the bathroom.
One hasn't worked for some time but the other just stopped working leaving a dark bathroom. I took the plastic fixtures down and traced the problem down to this black thing that looks like a jumper to split the incoming 12 V to the lights. I think it may be an inline fuse of some sort that is blown. By bypassing it the lights work on the fixture. So question is what is this thing and do I need it?
I can wire nut the two black wires together and things work ok with out it but just want to make sure..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black thing.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	220522  

RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
I can't say because I do not know if that is a type of fuse. My guess is that the device somehow loosened internally and you lost power. I would imagine the fuse is on the panel, not hidden.

I would be careful with "wire nut" fix. If possible, I would solder the connection and tape really well so no "short" occurs.

Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Thanks for the comment. The second one I took out of the other light had a stem in it, like it was a switch to turn it on or off and Airstream had bypassed it.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
I have no idea what the black thing is, but there is nothing wrong with using wire nuts to join the wires as long as the insulation of both wires extends well into the plastic part of the wire nut. In our 2002, most such connections are inline crimped connectors which offer the same security as wire nuts. The heat from trying to solder in a confined location can cause some very unwelcome effects. If you are really paranoid, you can wrap the wire nuts and the wires coming into them with electrical tape.

Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote