Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
undetermined , Washington
What happened to the light?

I was just getting out of the shower when the lights in the rear area went out. The light over the sink and the light in the little closet walkway and the little tiny lights in the closets. The power seems to be working at the plug in though...odd. I havent even looked in the owners manual...have to dig it out and it's late and I've got the flu so I'm not that worried about it yet. Does anyone have any idea what might have happened? I flipped all the breakers just in case but it didnt make a difference. I guess it sounds like it could be a fuse Any suggestions?
MonaxLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
The lights are 12V and the outlets are 110V. Check the fuses in the 12V fuse panel. I don't know where it is on your trailer, on my 1979 Safari the fuse panel is between the batteries on the front wall.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa View Post
I was just getting out of the shower when the lights in the rear area went out. The light over the sink and the light in the little closet walkway and the little tiny lights in the closets. The power seems to be working at the plug in though...odd. I havent even looked in the owners manual...have to dig it out and it's late and I've got the flu so I'm not that worried about it yet. Does anyone have any idea what might have happened? I flipped all the breakers just in case but it didnt make a difference. I guess it sounds like it could be a fuse Any suggestions?
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
I guess I should have looked before I posted...talk about a blown fuse, the metal thing is melted right in half. Thanks
Old 10-07-2010, 11:40 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
I guess I should have looked before I posted...talk about a blown fuse, the metal thing is melted right in half. Thanks
OK, you found it -- now the question is why did it melt? It can be caused by a light bulb failing (draws too much current for an instant sometimes when the filament fails and drops across other parts of the bulb) but it might be something else shorting. Be sure you have plenty of that fuse on hand...
dljosephson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Hi, fuses melt from heat caused by poor, dirty, or rusty connections. Some times you can tighten and clean the connections to the fuse or you have to bypass it with an inline fuse holder. Melted fuses are not caused by shorts, or overloads. Note: never install a larger fuse.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:55 AM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
That was the fuse on the purple wire at the Univolt, right? I think it's on the right side, second from the top?

That wire is famous for cutting out. It has been a constant annoyance on my trailer, and there have been lots of threads about it: no lights in the sleeping area and rear hall (between the two closets) as well as in the rear bathroom.

I sure hope that it's something to do with the old corroded fuse panel, or humming on-its-last-legs Univolt, which I'm about to replace.

Check that the screw holding the purple wire into the fuse panel is tight. It loosened up on mine, which allowed the resistance to increase, I figure.

Good luck!
Old 10-08-2010, 11:43 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, fuses melt from heat caused by poor, dirty, or rusty connections. Some times you can tighten and clean the connections to the fuse or you have to bypass it with an inline fuse holder. Melted fuses are not caused by shorts, or overloads. Note: never install a larger fuse.
Hmm... not sure I agree with that. Melted as in sagged and came loose from the end caps, yes. But if the fuse "melted right in half" in other words in the middle of the fuse, it's not likely to have been caused by heat from a poor, dirty or rusty connection. MonaXLisa, does the metal of the fuse look like the middle of it is missing, or does the whole thing look limp like it was hot for a long time? Are the fuse holder clips or wire terminals dirty or corroded? Did any light bulbs fail at the same time the fuse blew? Is any of the wire leading to the fuse holder melted or discolored? When you have the lights running with a new fuse, is the fuse holder hot? This is 12 volt troubleshooting 101 and you can actually learn a lot by looking at things after the fact. Let's hope you don't have something shorting inside the wall somewhere... Oh and finally, was the fuse the right size for the circuit (see the label on the panel)? It could have blown if it was too small, be sure you replace it with the correct size.

@Aage, an on-its-last-legs Univolt won't cause any fuses to blow. Lower voltage from the Univolt means lower current in the circuit (unless somehow the on-its-last-legs results in higher than normal voltage, which I haven't seen).
dljosephson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljosephson View Post
Hmm... not sure I agree with that. Melted as in sagged and came loose from the end caps, yes. But if the fuse "melted right in half" in other words in the middle of the fuse, it's not likely to have been caused by heat from a poor, dirty or rusty connection.
Hi, I agree with you, but I was going by what the original poster wrote, "Melted" If the fuse is blown in the middle, I don't consider it as melted. If the solder on the ends of the fuse melted, then that applies to what I said. This is of course, is, if we are talking about the fuses with the glass tube and metal ends.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Ok, lets see...it was the top right fuse, yep purple wire. The glass of the fuse is still whole, but the metal thing inside looks burnt on one side and looks like it's completely melted apart in the center where it's narrow. It's a 20amp. There doesnt appear to be anything that's corroded, burnt, etc. No bulbs went out, nothing flickered first. Did I cover everything? I figured it blew because it was old.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Replace it, but it should be a 15A, not a 20, IIRC.

Looks like a PO might have had trouble with it, or just ran out of the right size of fuse if my statement above is correct..
Old 10-13-2010, 07:43 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
I looked at the box and it looked like it did say 20 amp next to that fuse. I'll check again in the manual (once I find it) It did blow again today though, only this time you could barely barely see the slightest bit of discoloration at one end of the fuse. And again while I was in the shower. I'm thinking that something must be condensating (since it's cooling off and the window isnt open now) and it's shorting out?
Old 10-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #12
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Well, that's a distinct possibility, since the Univolt is right adjacent to your tub, if you have the "full bath" option (rear bath).

And if there are any leaks in the tub, or the seams (joints that are covered by the aluminum trim strip with the old yellowed plastic in it) between the tub and the wall...

Seriously, I would replace the Univolt with a new converter. Say goodbye to that old hummer!

ps: if it says 20A, it's a 20A, a bit of writing is waaay better than my feeble memory. :/
Old 10-14-2010, 12:04 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
I have a wire for a light in the shower above the little closet, if your Excella has that light, check that. It might be getting moved by the shower curtain or something.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote