Old 07-08-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
What did you do for ceiling lights?

I replaced the old ceiling fans in my 1973 31' International with 3 new Fantastic ceiling fans. This of course also means that the older lighting that was built in around the ceiling fans is now obsolete. So I am contemplating my options for what to replace that ceiling lighting with. One idea is to put a row of recessed puck lights down the middle. I have been looking at the following product:

12 Volt Recessed Ceiling Lights - Boat - Marine Lighting - SailorSams.com - Nova ICM-8777 Optional Switch

One thing I like about this type of light is that it is available with a built in switch. The idea would be to connect the string of maybe 9 lights to the switch by the entry door. When leaving the trailer any of the ceiling lights that are on could be turned off with one switch. When inside it would be easy to turn on the ones that are needed and turn off others. For example going to bed you could turn off units as you headed back to the rear bedroom.

I am open to other options. I have even wondered about whether or not I could build something around the three fans that would be an update to the original lighting.

So what did you do?

Thanks,

Malcolm

Old 07-08-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Check out this thread...many of us are using LEDs when possible...use less current, etc.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f447...s-17392-6.html

I posted an explanation of my LED ceiling lights, and then posted some pic's below...take a look.

Ray

Old 07-08-2008, 12:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Malcolm:

How we installed 8 puck-style down lights through out the trailer is described in post #42 here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...e-18448-3.html

I used the Frilight dimmer obtained from Sailor Sam.

Click image for larger version

Name:	frilight.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	63344

One at the front door controls four recessed down lamps in the front of the cabin; another on the amidships bulkhead wall controls the rear set of four.

Name:	down lite.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	63343

Sergei
Old 07-08-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
Check out this thread...many of us are using LEDs when possible...use less current, etc.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f447...s-17392-6.html

I posted an explanation of my LED ceiling lights, and then posted some pic's below...take a look.

Ray
Hi Ray,

For some reason the Dr LED website shows the spot light that you used but does not list it for sale in their online store. Am I missing something? Where did you buy yours?

Thanks,

Malcolm
Old 07-08-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
Malcolm:

How we installed 8 puck-style down lights through out the trailer is described in post #42 here:

Sergei
Hi Sergei,

You have a nice looking installation. I gather you decided to use Xenon bulbs. How is the light level for you? If I was reading correctly your units put out something like 18watts each and with 4 in the living room that would be 72 watts on max illumination. I would guess that would be pretty bright.

Thanks,

Malcolm
Old 07-08-2008, 08:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
The fluorescent round tube units that come in a round or square fixture are cheap and efficient and throw a lot of light. Available from the usual suspects.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Malconium...

I bought my Spot Saturn Ring type LED units from West Marine Products, a large marine supply company with retail outlets in many cities, and online.

I went to the Dr LED site, and found as you did that the Saturn Ring isn't in their Online Store...curious...I sent them an email asking what was up...and will pass along when they reply.

They are a nice, compact unit, and I hope they didn't discontinue them...

Ray
Old 07-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #8
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I went simple in our Sovereign, I put a 120v flourescent fixture in the bezel over the left and right window curtain brackets in the living room, a 12v flourescent thinlite fixture in the kitchen, a similar fixture in the bedroom centered on the ceiling, and converted the incandescent fixtures over the beds into flourescents, using thinlite single tube fixtures. I'm in the process of getting two more single tube fixtures for the bathroom vanity.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:00 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I received a rapid reply from the folks at Dr LED tonight...

They will begin selling a new, improved version of the Saturn Ring LED unit, called the MKII in September.

Here's a pre-release pic of the MKII:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dr LED Saturn  Ring MKII.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	63399  
Old 07-09-2008, 12:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I went simple in our Sovereign, I put a 120v flourescent fixture in the bezel over the left and right window curtain brackets in the living room, a 12v flourescent thinlite fixture in the kitchen, a similar fixture in the bedroom centered on the ceiling, and converted the incandescent fixtures over the beds into flourescents, using thinlite single tube fixtures. I'm in the process of getting two more single tube fixtures for the bathroom vanity.
Can you be more specific as to which fixtures you used and where you got them? There are so many products out there it is sometimes hard to dig through all the information. I know when I went to the thinlite website it was not particularly easy to find anything.

Thanks,

Malcolm
Old 07-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #11
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium View Post
Can you be more specific as to which fixtures you used and where you got them? There are so many products out there it is sometimes hard to dig through all the information. I know when I went to the thinlite website it was not particularly easy to find anything.

Thanks,

Malcolm
I'll give you part numbers this evening when I get home. The 120v lights were just "el cheapo" single-tube lights I got from Home Depot for $12 each.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Thin-lite makes a variety of 12v fluorescent fixtures.

thinlite Products Page

You can e-mail them for a local seller.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Royce documented the LED lights he built for his Argosy here:http://www.airforums.com/forums/f447...ign-40936.html. He really did a great job!