Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2006, 05:31 PM   #1
near ichnetucknee springs

1978 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
davie , Florida
what is this??

i have the base of something that looks broken on the left hand side of my A.S.. can anyone tell me what it's for?? it's just below the left front window on the left side of the unit... could it be whats left of the radio antenna??
thanks, tuna
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2803.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	25957  
charlie tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:49 PM   #2
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi charley tuna--What you have are indicator lights you can see in your side view mirror that flash when your brake and turn signals are on. It has a white plastic cover which has worn away partially from wind and weather during 28-years of A/Sing. Mine looks like that too.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:50 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
When you say left side, do you mean street side? If so, it looks like it might be the fiber optic connection to the tail lights. It allowed the driver to see if the tail lights were operating on the trailer

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Looks like one...

It sure looks like the lower mounting block for the sectioned radio antenna intended for the interior entertainment system.. Is there another little gizmo above the window in line with it, or a plugged screw hole for a second upper brace? Does it still have a radio inside, and does it sound bad?

Ours appears to have matching internal 110V outlet on inside wall which might make access easier... Might be available as replacement from Airstream or one of the vintage Airstream parts suppliers..

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:52 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
fiber optic tail light indicator.

take it out for a spin at night and look in your mirror!

john
Old 09-15-2006, 07:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
It is an idicator for the turn and brake lights as was mentioned. Inland RV posted a part number just a few weeks ago for the white cover that's detoriated - so is mine.

Maybe they will post it again - I can't find it right now.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Hey Charlie and all,

I have the same indicator light box/blocky thingy that you do, only yours looks much better and more complete than mine. Mine works and it works great!! Does anybody know where you can find a new cover for these as mine is all but gone disintegrated with age....? Does Andy have these?

Dave.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Well I guess I could have done a better job reading, Andy evidently does have them. I was also reading the Armstrong AC thread and somebody (sorry don't remember who) was talking about building an AC shroud out of aluminum which I think would be very cool what do you ya'll think about building a cover for the indicator light out of Al?
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
GREAT THOUGHT. There is no reason you couldn't get small local machine shop to knock these covers out in aluminum. The problem is the price if you don't order several hundred. It would take enough commited buyers up front.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 07:17 AM   #10
near ichnetucknee springs

1978 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
davie , Florida
i was thinking the same thing with the red and blue decal with the white pin striping. i used to do work for a tape printing company. they print tape with advertisments and/or instructions on it. this would be a easy job for them-- red with a white pin strip and blue with a white pin strip???
thanks for the information on the "gadjet" -- so that means that there is a glass fiber running from the rear lights back to this "block" -- correct??? tuna
charlie tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:21 AM   #11
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie tuna
......thanks for the information on the "gadjet" -- so that means that there is a glass fiber running from the rear lights back to this "block" -- correct??? tuna
That's correct. The fiber optic cable (if it's like mine) plugs into the back of the tail light/turn signal can . The cable runs inside the walls to the indicator on the side of the trailer. I've got a piture or two somewhere if you need them. Just let me know.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote