Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Voyager interferes with TST TPMS

Some background for context before my actual questions - feel free to skip the preamble if you like :-)

I just had the Voyager rear camera installed on my 27FB at Jackson Center. It's amazing and I love being able to see traffic behind me while on the road. It completely eliminates that huge blind spot behind the trailer. Can't wait to try backing in to a spot with it too...

However - it seems to interfere with my TST TPMS signal. Using them together for the first time, the TST fired up as usual and showed the 4 trailer tire pressures and temps. Then I turned on the camera (they wired it in to the clearance lights) and I noticed the temps and pressures weren't rising on the TST monitor even though we had been on the road for about 30 minutes. Eventually, the TST beeped and shut off.

I changed the sequence (camera first then TST - same result).

I called TST who suggested their 12v DC repeater - which I had purchased when I bought the system but never installed because it worked fine without it. They said, however, that they have had no other calls of this nature.

I have 2 questions:

1) anyone using a Voyager and TST (or other) TPMS experiencing similar interference problems? If so, what did you do?

2) I'm wondering if I can wire the TST repeater (very thin +/- wires) in to the 7-pin extension I'm using? It seems it would draw next to nothing, but I don't know if screwing it on to the blades with the existing wires would be problematic. If this is doable, the colors are all different. I'm assuming the black and red of the TST repeater (neg / pos) don't mean red and black inside the 7-pin extension...which 2 blades should they connect to? I was going to just wire it to a cigarette lighter adapter ad plug it in the trailer but in the FB, that outlet is in the rear of the trailer (behind the tires) not near the a-frame where I need it.

Thanks!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:57 PM   #2
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
I'm using the same setup. I have the Voyager mounted on a RAM mount with one of the RAM beanbag kind of looking disks and simply set it up on the top of the dash in the center. TST is mounted on the left side of the front windshield with their suction mount and setup so that it is just above the dash. FC 25. It turn on the TST when I start hooking up. By the time I am done everything is running fine.

Probably about 2 feet or so between the two of them but have 3500 miles on two trips and haven't had a problem.

I did buy the repeater but found that I didn't need it. Sierra 1500 short bed ann FC 25. If I do need the repeater I was thinking about mounting to the back inside window of the truck and pull power from inside the truck. Or if mounting to the trailer mount it wired direct to the battery on the trailer. Agree that it would draw very little and you could put a switch on the wire inside the box when you wanted to turn it off during longer term storage.

So maybe separate the two if they are sitting together.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Thanks. I may try relocating the TST unit. If that doesn't work and I need the repeater, any thoughts on connecting the repeater leads to the screw posts of the 7 pin extension?
Old 04-25-2014, 06:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Does the paperwork for both units give the frequency info. I know the Voyager is digital, but I assumed TPMS was analog???? Maybe not. Their frequencies may be close and interfering with one another.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:30 AM   #5
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Wiring diagrams at Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com. My only thought is why do it that way? Another set of wires that are going to be moved around and as you point out it is a fairly small wire. Is your extension always connected to the trailer? If so, and I haven't checked with a meter, but likely it will still pull power. Anyway to mount it the TV with a connection to the TV taillights?
Old 04-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
An trying relocating the TST monitor first on a trip we're taking today. If that doesn't work, the TST guys think I can on next to the extension.

The extension literally extends the 7 pin male from the trailer (which is too short to reach my TV) via a female to male cable which them plugs in to the TV. I can wire it to the female side of the extension which is unplugged when not towing so no draw unless bring used for towing which is when I need the TST for the trailer tires. We'll see how things go. The + is at the 1:00 position and the ground is at the 7:00 position - should be simple!
Old 04-25-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Does the paperwork for both units give the frequency info. I know the Voyager is digital, but I assumed TPMS was analog???? Maybe not. Their frequencies may be close and interfering with one another.
I'll have to look. The voyager is digital and supposed to only lock in to the monitor its paired with. Maybe it can't be interfered with. But can cause interference.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #8
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Steve when you unplug the extension from the truck it may still have power from the trailer side batteries unless you disconnect the extension from the trailer wire.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:53 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Dill TPMS Interference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
However - it seems to interfere with my TST TPMS signal.

1) anyone using a Voyager and TST (or other) TPMS experiencing similar interference problems? If so, what did you do? ...
Has anyone experienced problems with the Voyager system and the Dill TPMS system?
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Turns out moving the TST and Voyager monitors further away from each other worked perfectly. No repeater necessary but I do know how to add something like that to the extension (which does completely detach from all electrical sources when not in use).

Thanks for the advice and suggestions.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Good to hear you worked it out. To reply, my system does not conflict or, has not done so yet- Voyager wireless and Tire Traker (tire minder)
Old 12-09-2014, 08:03 AM   #12
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Voyager interferes with TST TPMS

Sorry to jump on this thread so late. Just a quick note to say that we have the Voyager & TST TPMS on our rig as well. We had trouble with TST dropping out, but we didn't think about this as a possible culprit. We resolved the problem by installing the TST repeater on the tongue of our trailer inside the case for the propane tanks where it's not visible unless you lift the lid and look down inside. Ever since we did that, both systems have worked just fine.

Moving the TST receiver away from the monitor (they're on the dash, mere inches apart) would have been a lot cheaper.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote