Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2007, 09:31 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Vintage porch light retrofit

After searching high and low for the light that fits our vintage trailer, and reading some of the posts on how "extinct" these are, we pondered over a couple of martinis and came up with this solution. It works great and keeps the vintage look of our AS. We used an inexpensive outdoor jelly jar light from Home Depot and striped the paint for a shiny metal look. Sealed the bare metal with clear poly. We used threaded lamp rod and some threaded stainless pieces we had laying around from a lighting project in the house. (Funny how you never use all of the parts included in the boxes ) We purchased a metal male plug end with the rubber and clamp strain relief and mounted the plug directly to the threaded rod. The locking collar is the only thing we could find at Home Depot that closely matched the threads on the outlet cover which ended up being a plastic p trap connector from some ABS plumbing parts. (Yes we searched all of Home Depot). The threads are not an exact match but it does tighten well and it fits very tight over the male plug for a water tight seal. Let us know if any other details are wanted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0513.JPG
Views:	409
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	46636   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0514.JPG
Views:	446
Size:	398.3 KB
ID:	46637  

Name:	IMG_0516.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	46638   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0522.JPG
Views:	524
Size:	397.3 KB
ID:	46639  

Name:	IMG_0520.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	489.9 KB
ID:	46640  

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Very ingenious - nice work.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
The idea, description and pictures are great. The only additional information would be pictures of the individual parts, a detail parts list and blueprint.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
The only additional information would be pictures of the individual parts, a detail parts list and blueprint.

Bill
4 parts Vodka
3 to 5 drops Dry vermouth
1/8 tsp Lemon juice
Lemon twist
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Nice. Any plans for a switch on the light? Or is the outlet switched from inside the trailer?
Old 10-06-2007, 09:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Really though, nice work guys. Those are my favorite, ingenuity.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander
4 parts Vodka
1/8 tsp Lemon juice
Lemon twist
Bill, here is the blueprint, as provided by 68 Overlander. Ketel makes for some very creative projects.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
Old 10-06-2007, 11:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhall
After searching high and low for the light that fits our vintage trailer, and reading some of the posts on how "extinct" these are, we pondered over a couple of martinis and came up with this solution. It works great and keeps the vintage look of our AS. We used an inexpensive outdoor jelly jar light from Home Depot and striped the paint for a shiny metal look. Sealed the bare metal with clear poly. We used threaded lamp rod and some threaded stainless pieces we had laying around from a lighting project in the house. (Funny how you never use all of the parts included in the boxes ) We purchased a metal male plug end with the rubber and clamp strain relief and mounted the plug directly to the threaded rod. The locking collar is the only thing we could find at Home Depot that closely matched the threads on the outlet cover which ended up being a plastic p trap connector from some ABS plumbing parts. (Yes we searched all of Home Depot). The threads are not an exact match but it does tighten well and it fits very tight over the male plug for a water tight seal. Let us know if any other details are wanted.
Yes, these vintage porch lights are 'extinct'. BUT, they do become available occassionally. I finally resorted to scouring Home Depot for the same solutions as you did while continually checking Ebay. I was about to go the HD route when to my amazement a vintage porch light went up for bid. As expected other bidders were looking at what I saw so I bit the aluminum bullet and won the bidding. My next problem was locating a single outlet cover with the screw cap...also rare. I located a box of them on a shelf at a RV salvage yard in Sacramento. However, it isn't chrome but will suffice until I find a chrome or an aluminum one that can be polished. Keep looking for that 'vintage' light though. One will show up........eventually.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	April - July, 2007 089.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	46647  
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:37 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Parts is parts

Hi, thanks for sharing. Nice idea, good job.
I too have been searching for a lamp.
Now take it all back apart and show us the pieces .

How long are the lamp rod and stainless tubing? How did you connect the lamp rod and stainless tubing to the lamp housing and to the male connector?

Does the threaded p trap connector thread tightly enough to support the entire weight of the lamp?

Does anyone know where I can find the female plug and cover with screw-on cap threads?

No Home Depot type store for 50 miles

Thanks for sharing idea
Walter
walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir
Yes, these vintage porch lights are 'extinct'. BUT, they do become available occassionally. I finally resorted to scouring Home Depot for the same solutions as you did while continually checking Ebay. I was about to go the HD route when to my amazement a vintage porch light went up for bid. As expected other bidders were looking at what I saw so I bit the aluminum bullet and won the bidding. My next problem was locating a single outlet cover with the screw cap...also rare. I located a box of them on a shelf at a RV salvage yard in Sacramento. However, it isn't chrome but will suffice until I find a chrome or an aluminum one that can be polished. Keep looking for that 'vintage' light though. One will show up........eventually.
Oh, by the way....I installed a small push on/of switch on the housing of the light. Now I do not have to screw and unscrew the light to operate it.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 10-06-2007, 11:41 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir
I located a box of them on a shelf at a RV salvage yard in Sacramento.
If you're talking about the box of covers at RV Dr George....it's now empty...George laughed, wishes he had 50 more...you started a rush with your last post about them.
walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter1
If you're talking about the box of covers at RV Dr George....it's now empty...George laughed, wishes he had 50 more...you started a rush with your last post about them.
Yeah, I was told by another Forum member I should have bought the whole box THEN posted my find.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 10-06-2007, 01:49 PM   #13
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
News to me

I always thought that outlet midway down the camper was just an outlet.....

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter1
Hi, thanks for sharing. Nice idea, good job.
I too have been searching for a lamp.
Now take it all back apart and show us the pieces .

How long are the lamp rod and stainless tubing? How did you connect the lamp rod and stainless tubing to the lamp housing and to the male connector?

Does the threaded p trap connector thread tightly enough to support the entire weight of the lamp?

Does anyone know where I can find the female plug and cover with screw-on cap threads?

No Home Depot type store for 50 miles

Thanks for sharing idea
Walter
Hello Walter,

I took the trailer back to the storage facility and do not have it here for more pictures, however, I have some pictures of individual components of the light.

We used a standard threaded lamp rod that screwed right into the light fixture after we removed the wall mounting adapter the threaded lamp rod is about 3". The stainless threaded pieces are threaded right over the lamp rod. They are some pieces of a celing fixtue that were not needed. It is an extension down rod for a celing fixture, we had to cut it with a hacksaw to a 3" piece. You could also use a sleeve of some sort to cover the lamp rod. I just happened to have that laying around in the garage. They are commonly found at any lamp store like Lamps Plus or others.

The threaded lamp rod is simply pushed into the male plug in the place of the cord. We used a metal plug with a rubber strain relief. This tightened nicely with the clamping screws on the plug. To be honest, I think the outlet on the trailer would support this without the plumbing piece we used. The plastic collar does screw down tight and provides additional support. We did change the outlet at the same time, the old outlet would not have supported it at all. We also had to change the outlet box as ours was disintegrating we used a standard switch box and it fit right in there perfectly. The third picture shows the threaded brushed or stainless sleeve. In the photo it is the fourth one over in the top row.

I hope I have added enough detail, if not please let me know and I can give you further information.

Thanks for your comments.
Attached Images

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
Old 03-12-2011, 03:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Very clever, Louis. Karen was researching information about these lamps and found this thread on Google. She thinks you're so clever.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
Very clever, Louis. Karen was researching information about these lamps and found this thread on Google. She thinks you're so clever.
Thanks Mike,

Brad Norgaard made one too and he used some very retro looking metal to put around the glass... looks very cool. He had it on his trailer at Deadhorse.

Good luck with your project!

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
Old 03-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
It's also on Brad's blog if you want to see it. It looks really nice.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter1 View Post
Vintage Trailer Supply.com has them now.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:59 AM   #19
62 Flying Cloud

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Lakewood Ranch , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander View Post
4 parts Vodka
1/8 tsp Lemon juice
Lemon twist
[emoji23]
VooDooLounge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:00 AM   #20
62 Flying Cloud

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Lakewood Ranch , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
Super cool! Great find!
VooDooLounge is offline   Reply With Quote