Old 05-02-2015, 09:54 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Burlington , Kentucky
Urgent Help....No Brake Lights when running lights are on

Doing my checks before we head out in the morning and the brake lights don't come on when the running lights are on...UGH...
So... hare's what I have checked....
1. with the headlights OFF...everything works...BUT only on the big filament. the small one doesnt come on at all...
2. when the headlights are ON...everything works BUT the brake lights... and again ONLY on the large filament...
That said... when I rewired and added the new tail lights I checked everything using a power source and things worked...

Question...
1. Do I have the bulb wired backwards? can I just switch the wire at socket?
2. Bad connection in 7 way or cable
2. 7 way wired wrong at the trailer?

Since I have kept the original connector on the trailer I did have to move a couple wires to match my 2005 F150...and here is what I have

Trailer
1 (12 oclock) = pos.
2 (2 oclock) = RT stop turn
3 (4 oclock) = Brakes
4 (6 oclock) = Neg.
5 (8 oclock) = LT stop turn
6 (10 oclock) = running lights
7 (center) =back up lights

URGENT!!!HELP HELP HELP...

Old 05-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
This may not be your problem but I was having strange things happening with my lights and after using a voltmeter to test everything I found that one of the tail lights did not have a good tight ground.
Who would have thought that one bad ground on one light would have caused other lights to act different.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I am guessing since you've done all this yourself that you have a 12v tester. I would start there. Go through the set up on the truck, run through the whole series with someone in the drivers seat. Lights, turns brakes etc. If that checks, then I'd hook up and with the 7 way on the trailer connected but loose enough so you can get the 12v tester with the needle nose pointer into the or on the wires and a good ground run through the tests again. I am going to guess you've got wiring wrong someplace OR a poor ground.

These are always frustrating beyond normal frustration. Best of luck
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
First, pull your cord out of the socket on the TV several times. Spray with contact cleaner if you have it.

Second, if that does not work, look for ground issues at the tail lights. Also look at the bulbs and sockets to be sure they are all in excellent and clean condition. Very often the problem is there.

You didn't mention if the trailer running lights work. Are they working when the rear tail lights should be on? If so, I would again suspect a grounding issue. However, these things are hard to diagnose from afar.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:35 AM   #5
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Another strong vote for contact cleaner here. While towing one day we suddenly got a warning on our dashboard that said the brake controller was no longer connected to the trailer. Everything else looked ok and the running lights were working, so at first we were stumped. Then we whipped out the spray can of contact cleaner we had stocked in our "just in case" bin, and generously sprayed the umbilical as well as the connector on our truck. After waiting a moment or two, I shook the remaining cleaner fluid out of the umbilical and re-connected it to the truck. Problem solved, with zero recurrences!

Thank goodness we had read the forums months ago and added that can of spray cleaner to our stock. Otherwise, we would have been afraid to tow beyond the bare minimum required, at very low speeds, to get us to some kind of repair shop to figure out what on earth had gone wrong.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Ground connection somewhere is loose. Check starting where the umbilical joins the AS wiring and work back from there. The brake lights work when the running lights are off because the running ljghts are providing some ground to the brake lights when off.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnw View Post
Doing my checks before we head out in the morning and the brake lights don't come on when the running lights are on...UGH...
1. with the headlights OFF...everything works...BUT only on the big filament. the small one doesnt come on at all...
2. when the headlights are ON...everything works BUT the brake lights... and again ONLY on the large filament...
That said... when I rewired and added the new tail lights I checked everything using a power source and things worked...

Question...

Since I have kept the original connector on the trailer I did have to move a couple wires to match my 2005 F150...and here is what I have

Trailer
1 (12 oclock) = pos.
3 (4 oclock) = Brakes
4 (6 oclock) = Neg.

Hi, I have seen this before; If your brake/turn light filament is connected to your running lights, the dimmer running light filament won't show with your brake lights on. But the dimmer brake lights [on the wrong filament] will show with everything else off.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The brighter filament is the brake light filament.
You can safe yourself many trips to the back of the coach by using the emergency flashers to check brake lights. Also turn signals. Just make sure left is left and right is right.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
Old 05-02-2015, 10:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Urgent Help....No Brake Lights when running lights are on

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I have seen this before; If your brake/turn light filament is connected to your running lights, the dimmer running light filament won't show with your brake lights on. But the dimmer brake lights [on the wrong filament] will show with everything else off.

^^^^^^^^^

So yes,,,, you have the new lights wired backward.

Swap places on the two wires going into the can.

I guarantee my answer to be 99.97 percent accurate.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:50 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Binghamton, New York , New York
Poor Connections

If you've put a volt meter on the outlet (7) plug connector and it is working. Remember, it won't work unless brakes and all other lights are on, I would spray contact cleaner in both receptors. The little contact connector latch on top of the tow vehicle tends to pull the connection upwards. I don't trust the damn thing and I wrap a small bungee around the neck of the cord of the vehicle to the frame of the truck. It holds the the connection square with the vehicle and poof, problem gone. Hope this helps. I doubt your problem is serious.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnw View Post

Question...

Trailer
1 (12 oclock) = pos.
3 (4 oclock) = Brakes
4 (6 oclock) = Neg.

I know you may have figured this out by now but the threads live a long time. I thought I would post the picture.