Old 04-08-2003, 03:49 PM   #1
pap

Question Upper Identification Lights aka(Clearance Lights)

regarding the exterior amber triple "forehead" lamps over our front windows:

Mine 1974 are horizontal; I just saw Kevin's (overlander64) while admiring his photo book.http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photo...php?photo=1069
His are way cooler than mine
Vertical teardrop lookin things. Nice.

So what is the scoop on these things that most of us call "clearance" lights but my service manual calls identification lights (I think).
What are they there for anyway?
How many variations are there? (Mine are blue, after market I presume.)

I placed this thread in this exterior resto forum, but this is kind of stuff I think belongs in my suggested Airstream/Argosy Characteristics forum, which has so far drawn no reply from the management!
Quote:
In fact I would like to see Shari or some of the other "wheels" around here consider a new subsection of this forum called "Airstream/Argosy Characteristics" where oddities, problem areas, model change-over deviations, pecuiarities, wives-tales, rules-of-thumb, and axioms/maxims etc. could be cataloged.

Old 04-08-2003, 04:39 PM   #2

Quote:
identification lights ....What are they there for anyway?
Navigation / Landing lights on a 1974.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	74_landing lights.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1927  

Old 04-08-2003, 04:40 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
I belive the lights are a DOT requirement. I do not know what the ruses are as I have see some trialers with 3, or 5, or 2. I think it depended on the year and model.

Kevins lights are a vintage style while yours would be aftermarket or the lenses have been changed to blue.

I say vintage style because you can still get them new, some of the new airstreams are coming with that type of light on them.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 04:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I'd have to look up the code but I belive it's a hight and weight item. Hence the name "clearence." My 59 is old enough it doesn't have them at all. Just has some side markers. Trucks over a certain GVR are also required to have them even if they are only a couple inches taller the GVR mandates them. Yet a 1/2 ton van doesn't have them and is taller.
It may be all weight. My 59 is pretty light. According to Airstream is 3k empty.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 05:03 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

New lights

If you decide to replace the lights for new ones, don't just buy new bulbs. The entire units are available from Wal Mart for less than the bulbs alone. About three dollars or less. They are the same exact ones as on our 71 Safari. I repaced all of ours and now they really shine.
Dan
Old 04-08-2003, 06:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
They are required by DOT regulations.Grote has a page listing these. Click on Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards at the bottom, then the trailer icon on the page that opens.

John
Old 04-08-2003, 07:06 PM   #7
pap

I went to the Grote link and found nothing that appeared to look like our or any SOB travel trailer, unless you were Mr.Ed or Trigger

There was a motorhome under the trucks, buses, and MPV's .
Says 3 yellows are mandatory. Gives spacing and says that is to indicate a wide-load vehicle

OK I guess some of us are illegal!
Old 04-08-2003, 07:14 PM   #8
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
If you have the same number of lights as your trailer was designed/sold with you are legal. All motorvehicles must conform to DOT standards in effect at the time of manufacture. If we had to maintain standards as they are today then we would all be figuring out how to mount Airbags in classic cars so they can be driven.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote