Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2018, 07:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Cedarcreek , Missouri
Upgrading to newer model porch flood light?

Has anyone upgraded the older, dome-lensed "scare" porch light to the newer, modern flat-lensed LED "utility flood light"? The older model on our AS has exposed screws that would facilitate removal of the fixture, but from the pictures, I can't see how the new model is attached. I'm wagering the bezel ring snaps on over the main light frame, but without one in hand, I'm unsure.

Thanks for any input.

Brian
Name:   Utilityfloodlight-228x228.jpeg
Views: 675
Size:  11.2 KB
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181116_105059.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	329245
Mount'n Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:07 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Silverton , Oregon
The new light has a flat back that mounts on the surface, the chrome ring snaps on over the flange that has 3 screws.
the old light fits through the skin and required a big hole. the new one just needs a hole for the wires, and 3 screws.
I've debated on switching mine out also, but it's a big hole. and when you see it from the inside there is so much vulkem holding in the housing that you would never get it out from the outside without damage.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Some time ago I converted to this: http://airstreamsupply.com/index.php...roduct_id=6286. It uses the old fixture.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Cedarcreek , Missouri
OK, so here's my motivation... When we bought our AS, first thing I did was replace the melted porch light lens and installed an automotive LED in place of the standard hot automotive bulb (replaced all lights in trailer with LEDs, as a matter of fact). Works great, but man, that thing is bright! Perfect for those late night dog walks or finding the trailer in a dense fog, but sheesh... hence the term "scare light" I guess!

So we saw these nifty little graphic clings advertised in the last Blue Beret. Helps reduce glare plus adds a little pop of bling to the AS. Sounded fun. But alas they won't work on the old style domed light lens, only the new model flat fixture. I know, pretty ridiculous, right?

I've already fabricated a flat Lexan insert that fits nicely behind the domed lens that could support a light-dampening or colored gel (the white protective covering actually helps reduce glare a lot). I can't seem to find a bayonet style LED automotive bulb that produces less lumens that will fit in the old fixture.

Another option I'm contemplating is fabricating some sort of eyebrow cover to cut the glare and give a kinder, gentler useable light. Found this nifty 12v fixture on line that might, just might actually replace the domed lens... Is it worth the $30 to find out? The new AS fixture is about the same price...

What to do, what to do? [emoji102] Click image for larger version

Name:	20181207_055200.jpeg
Views:	205
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	329248Click image for larger version

Name:	SS7011.jpeg
Views:	158
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	329249
Old 12-07-2018, 09:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Someplace, I read where someone cut down a pet bowl and made an eyebrow,
Did you try Lights for RV, (Dan) I purchased bayonet bulbs from them.
While at it, how does one replace the step light on a FC 2010? Is it glued or a pop off?
Mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:27 PM   #6
Coast to Coast

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Hi - I'm sorry but didn't see the link for the domed lens cover - I've been wanting that for a long time. We did buy the Flamingo Clings, too!
Two Peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Cedarcreek , Missouri
I bought the replacement clear domed lens from Vintage Trailer Supply...

https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...-p/vts-102.htm
Old 12-07-2018, 04:46 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Here you go....http://www.airforums.com/forums/f447...-162719-2.html
Old 12-07-2018, 05:35 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Tacoma , Washington
Send a message via Skype™ to AirGT65
PLEASE, someone design, manufacture and advertise a quality aluminum "eyebrow" for the round porch light. The factory one is blinding and annoying to everyone around. Light only needs to be directed down, not all around.
Vintage Trailer Supply has a quality rectangular replacement that looks like it works fine for those Airstreams with a light over the door, but nothing for the round one on the side of many (most?) older Airstreams.
I would buy a good one in a minute for our 1966 Globe Trotter. Cost is less of an issue than quality for me, and I assume many other owners.
Any fabricating entrepreneurs out there interested?
AirGT65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Cedarcreek , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigfoot View Post
Hence the earlier "Dog Bowl" comment... Thanks! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2146.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	329283
Old 12-07-2018, 05:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mount'n Man View Post
OK, so here's my motivation... When we bought our AS, first thing I did was replace the melted porch light lens and installed an automotive LED in place of the standard hot automotive bulb (replaced all lights in trailer with LEDs, as a matter of fact). Works great, but man, that thing is bright! Perfect for those late night dog walks or finding the trailer in a dense fog, but sheesh... hence the term "scare light" I guess!

So we saw these nifty little graphic clings advertised in the last Blue Beret. Helps reduce glare plus adds a little pop of bling to the AS. Sounded fun. But alas they won't work on the old style domed light lens, only the new model flat fixture. I know, pretty ridiculous, right?

I've already fabricated a flat Lexan insert that fits nicely behind the domed lens that could support a light-dampening or colored gel (the white protective covering actually helps reduce glare a lot). I can't seem to find a bayonet style LED automotive bulb that produces less lumens that will fit in the old fixture.

Another option I'm contemplating is fabricating some sort of eyebrow cover to cut the glare and give a kinder, gentler useable light. Found this nifty 12v fixture on line that might, just might actually replace the domed lens... Is it worth the $30 to find out? The new AS fixture is about the same price...

What to do, what to do? [emoji102] Attachment 329248Attachment 329249
I pur. on Ebay bayonet led and replaced all inside plus over door and scare lite w/same also all rear [tail stop dir. etc w/same]. There is thread about pet bowl over scare lite, but IMO led not as brite as automotive bulb. Using bayonet led no mods req. or any thing special req.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:09 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
You need the dome to cut down on light pollution. We are loosing our Dark Skyes
Sadly at so many of our National Parks������
TheParula is offline   Reply With Quote