Old 07-27-2014, 11:04 PM   #85
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Bob;
that Nor-Cal crowd is tough. BUT polite, you could have awakened with you trailer all kinds of spray painted. I heard they do that uncivilized sort of thing in the other 49 states and southern california as well.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:35 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
Bob;
that Nor-Cal crowd is tough. BUT polite, you could have awakened with you trailer all kinds of spray painted. I heard they do that uncivilized sort of thing in the other 49 states and southern california as well.
Hi, that's why we move up North.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:22 AM   #87
2 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
Roy , Utah
Send a message via AIM to MYater Send a message via Yahoo to MYater Send a message via Skype™ to MYater
Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
The ISS (International Space Station) is only visible naked-eye near dawn or near dusk.
What?!?!?!? I see it all the time with my naked eye all night long when the overfly lines up with my area. 2100-0600. Or was your post missing some data?

1948 Airstream Liner 22'
MYater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #88
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYater View Post
What?!?!?!? I see it all the time with my naked eye all night long when the overfly lines up with my area. 2100-0600. Or was your post missing some data?
Are you sure we're talking about the same thing? My starting premise is that we are observing different things. We'll see if I'm wrong.

When a satellite enters the Earth's shadow there is no sunlight on it and it can't be seen naked-eye. When I think of it I use Heavens-Above to look for interesting passes. To me interesting means 1) quite bright (-3 or brighter) and 2) evening, not 4:00 A.M.!! On the duller passes the "ground track" graphic may show the satellite entering the sky from the horizon and just disappearing well before reaching the horizon again. This is when the space station enters the Earth's shadow. Occasionally I'll watch one of those for the amazing disappearance which unsurprisingly corresponds with the graphic.

Does what you are seeing take ~6 minutes from horizon to horizon on a good (bright!) pass overhead? Could you compare the brightness to e.g. Venus or Jupiter? Is the color white?
Old 07-28-2014, 10:45 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Here's how to make your scare light not so scary, and prevent the nuclear fallout from landing on your neighbors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140726_170851_758.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	217632

I can't take credit for it....another member posted this idea a couple years ago, but it actually makes the scare light a functional work area light under the awning and around the site.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:21 PM   #90
2 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
Roy , Utah
Send a message via AIM to MYater Send a message via Yahoo to MYater Send a message via Skype™ to MYater
Quote:
Are you sure we're talking about the same thing?

Does what you are seeing take ~6 minutes from horizon to horizon on a good (bright!) pass overhead? Could you compare the brightness to e.g. Venus or Jupiter? Is the color white?
What I'm talking about is the alert that comes up on my phone that says at 0045 the ISS will be coming overhead and will be seen by the naked eye beginning in the north west or south west and traveling in (usually) the opposite direction of appearance. Visible for somewhere in the area of 20-45 seconds as it travels across the night sky.

As the NASA message informs me I look in that area and if I have my telescope out I can even clearly make out the ISS.

You are right though it has to do with reflecting the sun's light off the station so, as long and there is the correct angle it becomes visible. The time of the year effects the chances of visual observation greatly. Since I live in the northern hemisphere as most of the people here do, the summer allows for a more common opportunity to see it since the sunlight is able to come over the surface of the earth at different angles.

Usually my sightings in the middle of the night start in the north west and transition southeasterly for only 30ish seconds due to the line of sight angle.

1948 Airstream Liner 22'
Old 07-29-2014, 01:31 AM   #91
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
What I'm talking about is the alert that comes up on my phone that says at 0045 the ISS will be coming overhead and will be seen by the naked eye beginning in the north west or south west and traveling in (usually) the opposite direction of appearance. Visible for somewhere in the area of 20-45 seconds as it travels across the night sky.

As the NASA message informs me I look in that area and if I have my telescope out I can even clearly make out the ISS.

You are right though it has to do with reflecting the sun's light off the station so, as long and there is the correct angle it becomes visible. The time of the year effects the chances of visual observation greatly. Since I live in the northern hemisphere as most of the people here do, the summer allows for a more common opportunity to see it since the sunlight is able to come over the surface of the earth at different angles.

Usually my sightings in the middle of the night start in the north west and transition southeasterly for only 30ish seconds due to the line of sight angle.
I think I understand. Alien invaders have twisted your phone so the NASA app has been swapped with the SRW app and you are actually submarine race watching. Fortunately it is easy to cure: just point your browser at AFDB
Old 07-30-2014, 03:11 AM   #92
2 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
Roy , Utah
Quote:
I think I understand. Alien invaders have twisted your phone so the NASA app has been swapped with the SRW app and you are actually submarine race watching. Fortunately it is easy to cure: just point your browser at AFDB
Well I'm not sure you quite understand our not, but try going to NASA's skywatch website at:

NASA - Spot The Station

Put in your country, state, and city and it will give you multiple sighting opportunities to see it with your naked eye. I missed one Sunday night(Monday morning) at 0231 MST because of cloud cover. And due to a storm cell that has been going over the great basin states today I am not going to be able to see it in approximately 20 minutes....

The longest sightings are at predawn and postdusk though there is no doubt.

1948 Airstream Liner 22'
Old 07-31-2014, 05:12 PM   #93
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
MYater: I thought you were pulling my leg. Sorry.

I just compared the website you identified with the one I use. Not surprisingly they were in agreement. Here in Colorado Springs there s a pass on 02 Aug. beginning at 3:17 A.M. and I have to admit that for me that is night. Sunrise will be 6:01. If I was up at 3:17 I wouldn't be able to see it as 1) it will be too low to my north and hidden behind a ridge and 2) it's magnitude will be only -.2. Nevertheless (again) you were right and I thank you for your patience correcting me.

I recommend using Heavens-Above since it includes brightness and it's graphics.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:10 PM   #94
3 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Danielsville , Georgia
Well I read through all these posts, And i'm siding with the we don't need lights after 9 or 10 PM. That said lights are cool .
Best of all from this thread is i learned of the ISS tracking apps thanks MYater and Minke
We live in north east Georgia and the night sky is dark and awesome Atlanta being 90 + miles away thanks again
Old 07-31-2014, 06:22 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . I use both NASA's 'Spot the Station' & Heavens-Above, which has lots of other satellites too. We've been watching the ISS & space shuttle for years. The Star Walk app on a smart phone can be set for satellites as well. We were up in the AZ high country recently, where it is VERY dark sky, & were able to 6 or 7 sats in the span of 15 minutes. fun stuff..........we now return control of this thread to it's original subject (whatever that was) regards, Craig
Old 08-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #96
2 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
Roy , Utah
We all learn things all the time, I know I do. Sometimes we just get new information that overrides what we were positive about. If we all knew everything we wouldn't have a use for a forum like this to ask questions.

That said, I think everything has a place, and I am still thinking about tieing in my running lights to a switch on the inside of my trailer when I run the wiring a as I go forward with my rebuild. Since I am planning on retrofitting or replacing all my sockets to use LEDs power should not be an issue. And I certainly only want to use that switch in situations where;

1. They are the turned off after a certain point.
2. They are used when I am sure their use warranted.
3. They are not offending anybody with their use.

1948 Airstream Liner 22'
Old 08-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #97
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
Quote:
We all learn things all the time, I know I do. Sometimes we just get new information that overrides what we were positive about. If we all knew everything we wouldn't have a use for a forum like this to ask questions.

That said, I think everything has a place, and I am still thinking about tieing in my running lights to a switch on the inside of my trailer when I run the wiring a as I go forward with my rebuild. Since I am planning on retrofitting or replacing all my sockets to use LEDs power should not be an issue. And I certainly only want to use that switch in situations where;

1. They are the turned off after a certain point.
2. They are used when I am sure their use warranted.
3. They are not offending anybody with their use.
If you read some of these posts, you better put a timer with the right time to shut them off. BTW who knows the right time to shut them off?
Take a guess??

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:14 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Dark or quiet hours?

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10