Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2006, 07:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Cordele , Georgia
Trailer Umbilical Wiring

We just bought a 1969 27’ Overlander and need help with the wiring from truck to trailer so we can bring her home. There are bear wires sticking out of the hitch and I need to know what kind of plug I should buy and the best way to determine how to wire it correctly. My truck is a 2000 GMC Z71 which has an interchangeable quick connect for different types of plugs at the rear of my truck. I assume I can get the correct type of plug from an auto parts store for my truck and the mating plug for the trailer. The Overlander has electric brakes but I am not sure if my truck is wired to handle the brakes on the trailer or if the brakes even will work on the trailer. Can I haul it without the brakes? I only have to drive 75 miles to get home and I can stay on 2 lane roads most of the trip. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Check out the pictures of our new purchase under the title heading "vin ### help" in the community forum.

Thanks!
pfay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:48 PM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
There are lots of threads about 7 pin wiring, here is a recent one. http://www.airforums.com/forum...lem-19971.html

Poke around and you'll find others. Welcome to the 'Forum, by the way.

The 7 pins can be a bit confusing, but if I can figure it out, anybody can!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:52 PM   #3
Put a bird on it!

1976 Argosy 20
SANTA BARBARA , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfay
We just bought a 1969 27’ Overlander and need help with the wiring from truck to trailer so we can bring her home. There are bear wires sticking out of the hitch and I need to know what kind of plug I should buy and the best way to determine how to wire it correctly. My truck is a 2000 GMC Z71 which has an interchangeable quick connect for different types of plugs at the rear of my truck. I assume I can get the correct type of plug from an auto parts store for my truck and the mating plug for the trailer. The Overlander has electric brakes but I am not sure if my truck is wired to handle the brakes on the trailer or if the brakes even will work on the trailer. Can I haul it without the brakes? I only have to drive 75 miles to get home and I can stay on 2 lane roads most of the trip. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Check out the pictures of our new purchase under the title heading "vin ### help" in the community forum.

Thanks!
Hi and congrats on your overlander. You will need a brake controller installed in your truck to activate the trailer brakes. You can do a search on the forums and find the wiring diagram for your overlander hook up. I used a 7 pin flat connecter on my truck end and a 7 pin round on the trailer.

I really like having the brakes with my big trailer, you may want to take yours first thing to an RV place that can do the brake controller and plugs for you.

Good Luck!
SilverSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Welcome pfay

We were thru your way a week ago on our return trip to fla.. What a lovely state park Veterans Memorial is.. hope to return there for a longer visit than an overnight.. Great sausage also from the place across the road from the entrance.. Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Maybe this will help.

Also it is highly recommended that you put a resister on the Charge line - so that it does not drain your vehicle battery when the car is turned off.

The picture is looking at the trailer from the back of the vehicle - thus the vehicle should be reverse.

We use a prodogy break controller - but there are many out there just personal preference.

It is a risk - but many of us have done it. Even sometimes by mistake or a faulty brake line - not indicating that there is power to the brakes - like what happened to us with our 61 Overlander all the way from Indiana.

Standard RV 7 pin will give you the brake and charge lines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69 Wire Harness copy.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	17798  
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfay
We just bought a 1969 27’ Overlander and need help with the wiring from truck to trailer so we can bring her home. There are bear wires sticking out of the hitch and I need to know what kind of plug I should buy and the best way to determine how to wire it correctly....
pfay:

Since you only have bare wires showing now, do a bit more exploring and determine if you have a connector and harness where the wires enter the trailer body.....

You will most certainly need a new male connector for your TV - a new connector should show the existing wiring diagram on your TV pins....

If you do purchase an entire new harness, utilize the appropriate connector for the trailer end and connect the bare wires from the trailer to the harness in such a manner as the new connector will fit a "standard" modern hookup - that way you will be ready for just about any other trailer you may wish to tow with your TV - and also make your "vintage" AS towable with any TV with a "standard" pin connection.

Now...be cognizant of the fact that Airstream used their own "unique" color codes, and the color codes of a new connector will PROBABLY NOT match the color codes given previously and below.

Plan on spending at least 4 hours of checking for correct wires and wiring the harness if you have never done it before. I would really recommend bringing a portable 12 volt battery and a cheap volt/ohm meter to actually check the function of each wire...when I picked up the Sovereign in Ohio the PO had overtightened the wire pull-out preventer and actually shorted three of the wires internally - I literally burnt up two 20 gauge jumpers trying to figure out what was going on - I am sure glad it was the jumpers that failed (sort of a fuse) instead of the harness wiring or the trailer wiring.

I have attached a jpg of the wiring diagram from the owners manual of the '78 below - note that the color and rotation are the same as the previous post pictoral, but a different type of connector is indicated.

If you are not comfortable working on the light and brake system please find someone who has some knowledge of it...it is not diffficult, but, as others have stated, you MUST have lights on the trailer, even for a short haul.

I would certainly have the brake controller installed professionaly if there is any doubt on your part if you can do it quickly and easily...most any trailer sales place and, I think most of the larger U-Haul type places do the installations....you well may already have the wiring already installed in your TV - requiring only (a) spade connector(s) to get the signal back to the 7-pin.

In my opinion, the brakes get much less of a workout on a 4 lane as opposed to 2 lanes - usually fewer starts and stops - your call on that, though.

ALWAYS err on the side of caution - you're only 75 miles away from the trailer - if you run into problems - or out of daylight - just come back to retrieve it another day - it will still be there.

Don't forget to check the dates on the tires - do a search here for "tire date code" or similar - if you are going to have to change out the tires you might as well do it before you tow it home and not take a chance on throwing a tread gator into your new aluminum - you can repack the bearings and check the brakes at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'78 Sovereign Trailer Connection.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	17801   Click image for larger version

Name:	'78 Trailer Connection Close Up.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	17802  

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
weyburn , Saskatchewan
Somebody should sell this adapter so it just plug in. I would buy one and so would lots of people, Can you imagine a 200 lot campground with all campers with marker lights on very cool. It would be like christmas.
Pedecanada is offline   Reply With Quote