Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2009, 07:42 AM   #1
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Trailer / tow vehicle connection upgrade

This past winter we purchased a '85 Excella 31'. Good condition for it's age and all systems seem to work as expected. Took it on a 4k mile trip earlier this summer with no issues. So far so good. I would like to upgrade the pigtail connection to my truck. It's a standard connection except that in it's previous live someone put a plug in the middle of the pigtail and extended it to the tow vehicle. The connections work but I have to wiggle the plugs now and then to provide lighting. I don't like that and am not comfortable with it.

My original plan was to re-wire the pigtail to the panel and simply replace it. Yesterday I took a look at the interior 12v panel and am re-thinking my plan. I don't want to take that all apart. So, I'm back so simply re-doing what has already been done and trying to make a better connection. I was thinking if it would be better to install a junction box connection on the front "A" frame and extend the cable to the truck with the standard connection. I think that would make it a more secure connection and eliminate a plug in junction in the middle.

Is there some sort of 12v junction box for the 7 wire cable that is weather proof with tight secure connections available or am I better to make it simple and put the plug on it ????? Has anyone out there in Airstream Land tackled the issue and may have a better long term fix ????? Any and all ideas welcome.

Thanks,
Roger in NJ
polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
try looking under the front center underside of the trailer. you should see a square junction box there.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:12 AM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Don't see a junction there. The cable is routed to the center and then up into the floor. From there I can't see but my guess is it goes to the 12v panel at the rear of the sofa on the forward bulkhead.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I wish all my troubles were this easy. I went to Utility Trailer Supply nearby to return a LED clearance light and got a 2 wire one. While there I asked about a terminal box and they had one. A 7 wire weatherproof terminal box. I can mount the box to the frame or under the floor and make all my connections in a nice tight box. So I think I'm on my way to a nice secure re-doable connection and a new cable and plug to my truck. Life is good.

Thanks,