Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2015, 07:16 PM   #1
I Bought it I Broke it...

1976 31' Sovereign
Migratory , North America
Trailer Lights on a 76

I replaced the input on my 1976 Airstream, or rather my dear old dad did, a few months back, with a standard 7 pin female end. We then bought a standard 7 pin connector from Tractor Supply Co. (the kind with a male end on both ends of the cable), hooked it up to my 2006 Ford E350, and everything worked perfectly.

That cable somehow came out of the van a few days ago and was torn to shreds as it was dragged down the road.

So I couldn't find any of these cables in the town we're at (Tucson, go figure...)

So I'm going about building my own.

I have wired everything up as per the instructions with the following possible exceptions:

1. The center wire is labeled as "auxiliary". From other websites, I've read that this is used for backup lights. Either way, I plugged the yellow wire into the center cable.

2. I'm also assuming that + is the same as battery, or that the black wire is supposed to go into the "battery" connection.

I've even tried switching those two around, to no avail.

All I end up with is the brakes working perfectly (not brake lights, just the actual brakes), back left backup light on the trailer is ALWAYS on (while plugged in and the van turned on), and nothing else works at all.

I'm trying different combos but the possibilities are just about endless with 6 wires that aren't necessarily working...

Anyone ever experienced this? Any thoughts?
Old 04-10-2015, 07:21 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com

This should help.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:44 PM   #3

1976 31' Sovereign
Yeah I've followed that too mnmhays. That's where I got that yellow is backup.

Currently have everything disconnected except white/ground, black/+ and blue/brakes and testing one at a time...
Old 04-10-2015, 07:46 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
Yellow should be L Turn...nothing needs to go to the center pin...

Use the traditional diagram not the RV one.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:24 PM   #5

1976 31' Sovereign
Well we had required the airstream going into the plug (ie, the inputs on the outside of the airstream). The most puzzling thing is that the standard plug that was already wired which I purchased from Tractor Supply worked perfectly. And this one I had to build I wired exactly to spec.

More so, I discovered that it's the black wire / + that's keeping the back left light on constantly.

But even just wiring up say just the left turn signal wire, that still doesn't work. All I've got is brakes and it's getting dark so I'm giving up for tonight but wowzers how strange.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Check grounds very carefully. Weird stuff can easily happen if ground is not right....

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote