Old 01-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas155 View Post
What would be a good indication that they are bad? I have already pulled the thing 300 miles and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.
I would start a new thread and post some pics at wheel level and from under the trailer of the angle of the arm. 1.There should be tire visible between the top of the rim and the bottom of the fender well 2. Jack up the side of the trailer from the plate the axles are mounted on. The trailer body should raise 2 inches or more before the tire comes off the ground. 2. The trailing arm should have an upward angle. Horizontal may be OK. But a downward angle is a bad sign. 3. Ride in the trailer while it is towed over a bumpy road. It should not be a too bumpy ride.

You would not be able to tell there is anything wrong towing until you start popping rivets, driving the bulkhead supports through the ceiling and cracking your frame.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Imperial , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I would start a new thread and post some pics at wheel level and from under the trailer of the angle of the arm. 1.There should be tire visible between the top of the rim and the bottom of the fender well 2. Jack up the side of the trailer from the plate the axles are mounted on. The trailer body should raise 2 inches or more before the tire comes off the ground. 2. The trailing arm should have an upward angle. Horizontal may be OK. But a downward angle is a bad sign. 3. Ride in the trailer while it is towed over a bumpy road. It should not be a too bumpy ride.

You would not be able to tell there is anything wrong towing until you start popping rivets, driving the bulkhead supports through the ceiling and cracking your frame.

Good information. I do know that there is quite a bit of tire showing before you get to the wells. I will take some pictures next time I am down were it is at. Thank you for the help.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:28 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Do you have a fuse box under the hood and one under the dash? Check both. Jim
Old 01-13-2014, 07:43 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Imperial , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Do you have a fuse box under the hood and one under the dash? Check both. Jim
It's not my TV. Al the fuses there check out just fine. I was thinking something on the camper, I am getting a feeling by washing it I may have loosened a wire or something.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:14 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
As far as the tailights there are basically only 2 points where there are wire connections. The first is the umbilical plug at the front of the trailer. The second is where the wires enter the tailight.

A can of spray electronic cleaner may help.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:19 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Imperial , Missouri
Quote:
As far as the tailights there are basically only 2 points where there are wire connections. The first is the umbilical plug at the front of the trailer. The second is where the wires enter the tailight.

I got some of that in the truck. The next time I am down there this is my first thing to get figured out.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:30 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
The reason I keep mentioning two fuse boxes is because my friend had the same problem exactly and we found a second fuse box in the truck also for the trailer hookup. Jim
Old 01-13-2014, 08:34 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Imperial , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
The reason I keep mentioning two fuse boxes is because my friend had the same problem exactly and we found a second fuse box in the truck also for the trailer hookup. Jim
I appreciate the input. That was the first thing i checked when it didn't work. Like i said kinda weird that i get the running lights but nothing else.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:

Yep. Make sure you spray electrical cleaner both on the truck's electrical receptacle and on the pigtail connector on the airstream. Also you can stop by an rv repair place and they probably will have a dummy pigtail used to rest all of the electrical connections coming out of your truck. It plugs int the truck receptacle and has lights on it showing whether each connection is live and working.

Good luck!
Old 01-13-2014, 02:02 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Imperial , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
Yep. Make sure you spray electrical cleaner both on the truck's electrical receptacle and on the pigtail connector on the airstream. Also you can stop by an rv repair place and they probably will have a dummy pigtail used to rest all of the electrical connections coming out of your truck. It plugs int the truck receptacle and has lights on it showing whether each connection is live and working.

Good luck!
That's a great suggestion thank you. I think I will buy one of those.