Old 11-12-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1976 Argosy 26
Squamish , British Columbia
Trailer lights and fridge not working??

Hi, I'm brand new to this. Just bought my argosy this summer with the intention to move in by Jan 1. I tried to take it camping after a few minor renovations, and my trailer lights aren't working. The trailer brakes seem to be functioning fine. I also discovered that the fridge works fine on propane, but not on electric. Is this common? Could they maybe be the same problem? Maybe a grounding problem? Any insight is appreciated.

I've double checked that the fridge is plugged in to a power source that works, and the gas knobs are all off, the electric knobs are all on... Temperature is on max. Nothing after 2 days...

Liesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:21 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Basic rules of troubleshooting:
1 - Check the easy things first. No need to make the job more complicated if you don't have to.
2 - Check the most likely things first. Occam's Razoró the simplest answer is usually right.

Luckily in this case, both rules agree. If you've got a problem with multiple electrical systems, first place to look is the batteries, which may be stony dead or may have a bad connection.

You don't say if the trailer lights that aren't working are interior lights or taillights/brake lights. I'm assuming the taillights and brake lights work because the brakes work, and both are powered by the tow vehicle, not by the trailer.

Also, does the problem persist when you're hooked up to shore power? If everything works on shore power but not on batteries, then you know for sure the problem is in the batteries, either a dead battery or a bad connection to the battery.

WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You have 2 completely different problems.

The taillight are controlled and powered from the TV. I would first check to see if you have power to them at the plug at the rear of the TV. If good there check the ground at the taillight fixture. If it is good there test on the trailer side of the umbilical cord and on back along the wire to the taillight till you find the open.

If the frig is working on propane it has 12 volt power and the control board is working on the propane side. Check for 120 at the receptacle supplying the frig. The next thing to check is the resistance of the element. Disconnect one end to test across it. if that is good there may be a 120 volt fuse on the control board. If these all check OK the board may be bad.
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If the refer is original, it won't have a control board. The chances are the heating element is bad or has bad connections at the termination point. The coach has to be plugged in to shore power/generator before the refer will work on electric.
Unless your coach UCord plug has been rewired to today's standard the exterior lights won't function properly.
Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote