Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2011, 07:40 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia
Trailer-car connections curb side interior

I am doing over a 74 trade wind LY and am putting things back together. Hooking up the wiring located at the turn signal housing (at location where the wiring harness feeds in) I have several white lines (grounds)`which I am wondering what they hook up to. I was thinking maybe airstream used a generic wiring harness and maybe some of these were not used, I have the usual running lights etc and have the wiring schematic can anyone offer some advice. Also it seems strange they would have offered no means of access after the interior skin is placed.
batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I redid my 7-way trailer connection when I got the trailer. The previous owner had done some creative de-wiring. There were quite a few ground wires at that location. I twisted them all together, fluxed them with paste flux, soldered them together with a map gas torch, and screwed the lead to a body rib. When I tested it, everything worked.

I had to remove one inside body panel to access the breakaway switch wires that the precious owner had disconnected. Typically, everything (except the charge line) comes into the 7-way ungrounded and picks up a ground inside the trailer.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
There's another post on this forum I read yesterday. Someone attached a wiring diagram for the trailer plug. (I haven't compared it with my trailer yet.)
Pin-out is:
1- Ground
2- Elect. Brake
3- Tailights
4- 12 volt positive
5- Left turn
6- Right turn
Center- Aux/Backup lights.
My '69 Overlander has multiple ground (white) wires at the front junction. They are all connected together. I ended up cutting out a 6"x6" section, so I can easily access the wiring. The break-away circuit breaker is up there, as well as the back of the trailer plug, etc.
edglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
This is how mine was wired.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...8&d=1284576792

USA format.

`
Old 10-31-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
different from my diagram!
Now I'll have to go out and look
edglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
When I did my exterior towing lights, I rewired the 7-way trailer plug. I used a 7-way tester with a jumper to wire the trailer plug to function, not wire color. I quickly discovered that the wire colors on my trailer didn't match the color codes in the repair manual, thus, they didn't match the wire codes on the 7-way, and the 7-way didn't match the colors of the wires in the new molded end umbilical.

But everything did match the function pins on the tester.

My blog shows some of what I did.

I used a multi-meter, a small battery charger, and a pin type 12 volt jumper light. I jumped the test light one pin at a time to feed into the 7-way and established that I had the 7-way wired to agree with the tester. I used the tester to confirm the tow vehicles were wired correctly. Then I used the tester to wire the loose end on the umbilical. Those umbilical wire colors were different that either the trailer or the 7-way, and I had the backup lights crossed with something else. It was easy to see which wires I had crossed and when I corrected those, everything worked.

Before I started on the 7-way, I replaced all the clearance lights, removed and cleaned all the rear light frames and sockets, installed all new bulbs, installed new lenses, and verified everything worked by the charger power one wire set at a time.

Two things that "looked" the same were the brakes and the brake lights. I objective tested that by jacking up one wheel and giving the up wheel a spin while plugging in the battery charger (that powered the positive brake wire) to a drop cord laying beside the trailer. Did I mention I work alone?

Once I knew everything worked and which wires were which, it was just a time thing to finish up on the 7-way and the cord.

It was during this 7-way rework that I discovered that the previous owner had disconnected the breakaway switch. I installed a new switch at this time as well.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
The brakes and the brake lights looked the same to me coming off the tow vehicle and coming out of the umbilical into the trailer 7-way, but in the trailer, the brake wires are easy to identify because they're a molded pair going to street side. They reminded me of a high voltage lamp cord. Either brake wire can be hot and either can be ground, there just needs to be one of each.

My trailer is a 1976 with magnetic electric brakes.