Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2005, 08:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
1976 24' Argosy 24
Bonita , California
Toyota Tundra 7 pin connector

Ok, so I backed my new 2005 Tundra up to my 72 23' Airstream and connected the factory supplied connector. First the good news, signals brakes and road lights all worked fine. HOWEVER, the back uplights are on, the brake controller light is on ( indicating open blue wire to brakes ??). Looked under the truck and there are 2 connectors together wired to the 7 pin. When I take the 3 pin connector apart, signals, brake lights and running lights all work and the back up lights and controller light are off. Checking the pins, one has power when the brakes are depressed, one when the truck is put in reverese and the other has power all the time ( Charge circuit ??) The easy thing is to just switch the wires and go on my way, BUT everything worked on my last tow vehicle a 2000 Expedition.
Did I do some rewiring 5 years ago when I hooked up the Expedition and just forgeot ? ( possible )or could the Toyota be wired wrong ?
Bonitafarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Welcome aboard Bonitafarms -- and many happy returns. The wealth of information is amazing. Stick around and I suspect you'll get more specific Tundra information.

I've got this link: http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm

It shows that even the Big Three have their own unique take on the issue. You got lucky first time if you were able to plug-and-play. I suspect your '72 trailer has had the plug replaced -- the modern 7-pin connectors don't fit directly to the old grey plug. So of course this will take some study. You'll maybe recognize what you did previously if you compare the Marks RV webpage to Airstream's FAQ's.

My dealer's mechanic was more than willing to puzzle through this with me. And if I can figure this out... you get the picture.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 05:28 AM   #3
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonitafarms
Ok, so I backed my new 2005 Tundra up to my 72 23' Airstream and connected the factory supplied connector. First the good news, signals brakes and road lights all worked fine. HOWEVER, the back uplights are on, the brake controller light is on ( indicating open blue wire to brakes ??). Looked under the truck and there are 2 connectors together wired to the 7 pin. When I take the 3 pin connector apart, signals, brake lights and running lights all work and the back up lights and controller light are off. Checking the pins, one has power when the brakes are depressed, one when the truck is put in reverese and the other has power all the time ( Charge circuit ??) The easy thing is to just switch the wires and go on my way, BUT everything worked on my last tow vehicle a 2000 Expedition.
Did I do some rewiring 5 years ago when I hooked up the Expedition and just forgeot ? ( possible )or could the Toyota be wired wrong ?

I don't know if this helps but I have a 2004 Tundra and a 2005 Safari and was able to plug in with no problems. I also had the Tundra hooked to a 2004 Bambi and had no problems.. My guess is that the connector on the 72' Airstream is diffrent than current wiring plugs.
DEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 08:30 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Bonitafarms!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonitafarms
Based on DEO's post that the factory Tundra is compatible with the late model Airstream wiring schematic, I am convinced that your '72 Airstream is likely wired to the original Airstream schematic (that is not compatible with the current standard schematic). The symptoms that you describe are virtually identical to what I had with my '78 Minuet when I first connected to my Suburban - - just like my '64 Overlander, the trailer's Bargman connector need to be rewired to the modern standard. I am not a confident do-it-yourselfer, but was able to handle this project by paying close attention to the functions assigned to each wire (the functions do not match the current standard color coding when looking at the Airstream end) - - then I used a 12-volt battery to confirm the function of each of the Airstream's wires. The information found in the two links below were a tremendous help when I rewired the Bargman connector on my '78 Argosy.

Current Industry Standard Wiring Schematic for Bargman 7-Pole Connector

1966-1981 Airstream Bargman Connector Wiring Schematic

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 07:39 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
1976 24' Argosy 24
Bonita , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEO
I don't know if this helps but I have a 2004 Tundra and a 2005 Safari and was able to plug in with no problems. I also had the Tundra hooked to a 2004 Bambi and had no problems.. My guess is that the connector on the 72' Airstream is diffrent than current wiring plugs.
Thanks, I have a hunch that 6 years ago I rewired the Expedition to make it work with my 56 or 69. Between old cars and older trailers, I sometimes forget what I do to them.
Thansk for your input.
Rick
Old 01-20-2005, 07:44 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
1976 24' Argosy 24
Bonita , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
Greetings Bonitafarms!

Welcome to the Forums!

Based on DEO's post that the factory Tundra is compatible with the late model Airstream wiring schematic, I am convinced that your '72 Airstream is likely wired to the original Airstream schematic (that is not compatible with the current standard schematic). The symptoms that you describe are virtually identical to what I had with my '78 Minuet when I first connected to my Suburban - - just like my '64 Overlander, the trailer's Bargman connector need to be rewired to the modern standard. I am not a confident do-it-yourselfer, but was able to handle this project by paying close attention to the functions assigned to each wire (the functions do not match the current standard color coding when looking at the Airstream end) - - then I used a 12-volt battery to confirm the function of each of the Airstream's wires. The information found in the two links below were a tremendous help when I rewired the Bargman connector on my '78 Argosy.

Current Industry Standard Wiring Schematic for Bargman 7-Pole Connector

1966-1981 Airstream Bargman Connector Wiring Schematic

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
Thanks for your input, My previous trailers 56,69 and 72 worked and a dim light in the back of my brain says that I hooked them up to the connector on the Expedition and completed the wiring under the bumper, so I am heading to the driveway to do the same. Clue #2 is my car trailer does the same.
Thanks and regards
Rick
Old 01-20-2005, 10:37 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
1976 24' Argosy 24
Bonita , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
Welcome aboard Bonitafarms -- and many happy returns. The wealth of information is amazing. Stick around and I suspect you'll get more specific Tundra information.

I've got this link: http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm

It shows that even the Big Three have their own unique take on the issue. You got lucky first time if you were able to plug-and-play. I suspect your '72 trailer has had the plug replaced -- the modern 7-pin connectors don't fit directly to the old grey plug. So of course this will take some study. You'll maybe recognize what you did previously if you compare the Marks RV webpage to Airstream's FAQ's.

My dealer's mechanic was more than willing to puzzle through this with me. And if I can figure this out... you get the picture.
I now remember changing the truck end and cord a couple of trailers ago and wiring it to fit as the Expedition did not come with a factory tow package, I then copied the wiring to my car trailer. I just forgot doing it. I rewired the brake line and the charge line tonight and all is well, until I tow someone elses trailer.!

Thanks

Rick
Old 01-21-2005, 11:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I'm considering buying a 2004 Tundra. What do you think of yours? I can get a good deal on this one and need to know if I will be happy with it pulling my 1978 24ft. Argosy.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 04:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Juel -- If your 2000 Ford pickup is running okay I think you'll be better off giving this a bit more consideration. The Tundra is a 7/8th sized half-tonner. Toyota is building a new plant for full size 1/2-ton Tundras in San Antonio. When they come out (later 2006?) they are going to close the Indiana plant and re-tool it for the full sizers too. So the current Tundras will begin to be orphans within a couple years...

Be very good figuring out the math of hitch weight as it contributes to the tow vehicle's GVWR -- that figure would be in the manual and on the required vehicle sticker (door post? glove box door?).

Thank goodness for the lighter tow of older Airstreams & Argosy trailers. Read this thread and this thread. The Tundra might not be very spunky in the mountains and the mileage will stink every where else.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 01-21-2005, 05:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Juel - Let me explain (I was getting called away while posting the last reply). The Nissan Titan thread is not a plug -- just that it has other links referenced in it that pretty well lay out tow vehicle GVWR. I would suggest following through those. You could get a capable truck (for what?!) only to find out you are overloading it with anything more than tongue weight, half a tank of gas, and two passengers.

Is your water tank under the front window too?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 02-08-2005, 11:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I'm so confused now. My Tundra (I did buy it) shows a towing capacity of 7100, with a GVWR of 6010 My Argosy is 3800lbs, with a tongue weight lof 560lbs. Did I do good or bad? It seems to pull like there is nothing back there even through the little mountains we have in Oklahoma. The truck did down shift a couple of times, but I was going about 65 to 70 MPH. The truck curb weight is 4555. It shows a payload of 1445. What does all this mean? Judy
Old 02-08-2005, 12:23 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Juel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
I'm so confused now. My Tundra (I did buy it) shows a towing capacity of 7100, with a GVWR of 6010 My Argosy is 3800lbs, with a tongue weight lof 560lbs. Did I do good or bad? It seems to pull like there is nothing back there even through the little mountains we have in Oklahoma. The truck did down shift a couple of times, but I was going about 65 to 70 MPH. The truck curb weight is 4555. It shows a payload of 1445. What does all this mean? Judy
The one piece of information that you need is the GCVWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating) - - this is the maximum that your towed vehicle plus loaded truck can weigh without violating the manufacturer's ratings.

The payload is basically the weight that can be added to the base truck including fluids, fuel, personal possessions, and other equipment carried in the bed of the truck PLUS the tongue weight of your coach. Conceivably, your coach's hitch weight could be as much as one-third to one-half of the rated payload (the <gross or loaded> hitch weight on my Minuet 6.0 Metre is between 550 and 575 depending upon the amount of water in its fron mounted fresh water tank).

I suspect that you are within the factory recommendations but may be a bit close on payload depending upon how much you carry in the bed of the truck and the actual gross hitch weight on your coach as towed.

Good luck with your new tow vehicle!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 05:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Congrats!

Juel -- Gotta love those Argosy 24s!!

Be sure and read your Tundra's Owner's Manual -- there should be a towing section and it may or may not advise against towing with the top gear (overdrive) engaged. My beefier Nissan's manual says to avoid it. The manufacturer's desire to cover their a** legally doesn't quite say what has been said in these forums -- if you are reliably observing the shifts, you may get away with it on long prairie flats or long downslopes. Otherwise you'd be wise to shift it down one position, which makes it hard to go 65-70mph.

Ahhh -- for one higher gear like the Titan's 4-speed box, eh? Some reviews were surprised when the new F-150 came out a year ago sticking with a 3 forward speed auto tranny. Let's see what Toyota does with the full-size San Antonio Tundras in a couple years... (don't worry -- neither you nor I will get 'great' mileage anyway -- those diesel sniffers rule in that category)

BTW -- there's a go-slow break-in period of 500 miles before you can even tow, right? If you read the manual there might be an additional 500 mile break-in while actually towing the trailer. So you don't want to be zipping so soon anyway...

ps. I recall this was a 2004. Ignore the break-in bit if it's 'seasoned' already.

Best to you and adventure!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 02-09-2005, 05:14 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Thanks for the info. Guess you like your Nissan! My Tundra had more than 500 miles on it before I towed with it. Actually I put about 1000 miles on it the first week I had it. It has a button that will disengage the overdrive for towing, which I used. The specs say it has a towing capacity of 7100lbs, with a GVWR of 6600. I'm not sure what all that means, but I think it means I can tow the 78 Argosy with it. We don't have too many hills in Oklahoma, so mountain travel shouldn't be a big problem. I'm too chicken to take a trailer over Berthed Pass to the cabin in Grand Lake, Colorado. I can hardly drive the pickup over that. I am not retired, so I will probably wear this truck out long before I need something to tow with for long hauls. I do home visits as a Registered Nurse for the State of Oklahoma in a child abuse prevention program. My 2000 Caravan now has 159,000 miles on it. I'm desparately trying to leave the Tundra in the garage, but it's so much fun to drive I've got almost 2000 miles on it and I've had it for just three weeks. It's a step-side, and very cute. Thanks for your help. Judy