Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1985 34' Excella
Loveland , Colorado
Towing new to me 1984 34' worried about lights

Hi all, new user and new airstream owner and excited as heck to be a new owner.
I bought a 1984 34' tri axle Excella that has been sitting for a few years, I bought new tires, re-packed the bearings and am doing all I can to get it ready for the haul home. Its a long way away from me so I can only get so much done at a time when I go there to get it ready for its trip home. This trip will be the last one I make to pick it up. One thing I havent done is check the lights. Is there a resource available that I can look up the sizes and amount of tail lights, running lights and brake lights so I can take new ones with me on my trip to pick it up? The dual batteries it has needs to be replaced. Do I need to replace them before the trip or are they just part of the interior power? I am really a newbee and its going to be a long road trip so I would like to be as prepared as possible and thanks ahead of time for any suggestions you might have for me.
I am off to pick it up on Tuesday or Wednesday, I will be hauling it from Hico TX to Loveland Colorado about a 16 hr drive and I am a little worried but the excitment of bringing it home is outstanding.
David Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
well, you could rent or purchase those trailer lights that you can attach to the rear of the Airstream and just don't use the Airstream lights at all, also get one of those slow moving vehicle signs (orange triangle looking deal that farmers use) and stick it back there. If the Airstream has been sitting I bet the lights need to be replace and god knows what else you are going to come across. But here is the link to inland RV for lights etc. And some or most of those bulbs can be acquired at an auto supply place too...
Inland RV Center - The Nations Leading Expert in Airstream Innovations

God luck on your trip and prepare to have people passing you alot, with a little respect we hope for the sight of the Airstream.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Welcome to the Airforums. You have certainly come to the right place. The batteries are set up in parallel. I would suggest having at least one in order to run the tongue jack, etc. Most of the light bulbs are standard automotive type (most are 1156) I would think the chances would be good that most work.

Make sure you have a weight distribution hitch, and a tow vehicle (TV) up to the job. We tow our 34' with a 2009 F150, but for the higher elevations in your area, I would want more torque than my truck can deliver (trubo/diesel comes to mind).

There are a couple of members of this forum who fall into the expert category living in the Denver surrounds. Please don't be afraid to ask questions. When we got ours, it didn't even have a manual so we asked some embarrassingly basic questions.

Welcome to Airstreaming!
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote