Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2015, 01:14 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Twin Falls , Idaho
Tow Harness

Hi all, I'm Tony and the proud owner of a 1959 24' Tradewind. I've had it for almost a week.

Well I'm trying to get the tow harness figured out. The tail lights work (sorta) to a point, when you have the blinker on and then press the brake they alternately flash the left - right tails. If you don't press the brake they blink like the should.

The original 7 wire cable was cut and a 4 wire spliced in. I'm trying to find where it goes once it enters the trailer so I can replace it, I'm guessing there's a distribution block or something. On the port side between the couch and sink, it looks like theres is an access panel in the floor because there is a little finger hold that you could lift up and open, if the whole floor wasn't covered in a nice dark stains and Orange carpet.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Tony
Trons4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:54 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The problem you describe is usually caused by a bad ground. Check to be sure the white wire is connected to the frame, and clean off any corrosion.

As a temporary measure you can just hook up a jumper wire between teh frame of the tow vehicle and the frame of the trailer.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:57 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
Welcome Tony!
Not Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I thought when you went to a four plug it eliminated the brakes from working, could that have something to do with it? I might be totally wrong.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Tony,
I have a '62 Tradewind, which should be very similar to your '59. On mine, the cable ran through the A-frame and into the under belly. The connections were accessed through a hole in the under belly sheet metal. There was a small square patch panel riveted on to cover the hole. Mine is on the curb side about a foot from the front of the trailer.

None of the wires in mine were marked, and most were red. So I had to do some detective work with a continuity meter and long jumper wires to figure out what went to what. It's really a lot of fun....not.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I forgot to mention, the way the lights were wired in the 50's-60's was different from how things are wired for a 7-pin. I don't remember exactly what I did to correct the issue, but I know that I disconnected one wire in the tail light fixture to make it match current standards.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:16 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Twin Falls , Idaho
I think I'm going to have to drop the belly pan and take a look around. There's no access panel and not even a decent hole that I can look into anywhere underneath. Some PO ran a separate ground (at least I think it's supposed to be) because it's on the pin that should be ground except it doesn't Ohm out to zero.
I tried taking the ground from the TV and attached it to the trailer but no joy.

So thanks for all the info, I'll just look at it as an adventure
Trons4u is offline   Reply With Quote