Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2011, 10:46 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
Olathe , Kansas
Someone pointed out to me that mosquitoes don't see LED light. That's great for outside lights!
Old 08-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Although I can't find a more scientific article, this one seems pretty reasonable (all the ones aside from wiki appear to be on informational pages of websites that also sell a mosquito killing product)

Most sites seem to agree that CO2, temperature, and humidity are the leading attractors of mosquitoes. So while Holmes on Holmes may have simplified it down to "mosquitoes can't see LED" it's likely because of the huge difference in heat emitted between the two lighting types.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #43
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Someone pointed out to me that mosquitoes don't see LED light. That's great for outside lights!
I looked it up: Do LED Lights Attract Mosquitoes?

LED Lights & Mosquitoes | eHow.com

But I see LED lights sold to kill mosquitoes. I don't know how that works, but it seems to contradict the idea they don't attract mosquitoes.

Or there's this approach: This Is a Mosquito Getting Killed By a Laser

I agree they aren't particularly attracted to light. They are most active at dawn and dusk and being nailed in the dark is not uncommon. Carbon dioxide attracts them, so just hold your breath.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:40 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Carbon dioxide attracts them, so just hold your breath.

Gene
Sounds like a plan. I think I'll try it!
Old 09-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #45
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan
I have been wanting to install LED lights in my Tradewind for a while now, but have not due to the cost for 20 bulbs and I just was not sure which ones to buy. The link provided by dpe01 pushed me over the edge. I ordered 10 bulbs (36 LED SMD warm white interior room dome door car light) for less than $40. I had not idea of how they would work in my fixtures, how I would install them, light output or current and heat output. I will say that the transplant was successful. Each fixture had 4 1156 bulbs. I replaced the four 1156 bulbs with 2 LED light pads. The light output appears to be at least as much as the 1156 bulbs and the quality looks the same, so I am quite happy:
And your post prompted me to do the same thing. I ordered 10 pads from the same ebay source. One thing to note is that the pads need the red wire hooked up to the power wire, and the black wire grounded. It wouldn't work for me otherwise. The brightness of the light pads showed me that i need to clean my light diffusers more often.
"I nostri cuori e le menti appartengono al flusso d'aria"
pageclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:45 PM   #46
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Glad to have been able to help. I have used mine for 6,000+ miles of travel and over 40 days of use (25 were boondock nights) since install without a failure. Light output appears quite similar - hard to tell if its more or less - and battery life has been extended considerably. Now if I can just cut down on all the various monitoring systems' use of juice.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:14 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Winder , Georgia
Has anyone used ikea's fixtures? I faintly remember reading a reno thread and someone mentioning ikea as a place to check for lighting ideas-
blackhawksid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:52 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
dpe01

Sounds like a good reason to install a battery isolation switch, so you can cut the battery power when you are not using the Stream.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:50 PM   #49
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
I have a switch and use a small solar panel when the stream is stored. When cash allows, I want to add enough panels for active use of all but the heavies like the HVAC to further space generator periods ;-P

I was referring to the refrigerator and propane water & house heaters monitors that draw between actual burns.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Installed the Reading Lite LED from Airstream ,there Great . No Heat and Brite.
Installed some led Pads but don't like the foam pad tape. And if you press the corners to "Stick" them they fail. Letting the rest of them lay on the lens which i dont like. Any ideas on how to place them up in the housing so they don't touch the lens. Overall they are Great. We like the Brite White the warm lite looked Yellow. Just did a week of Boondock and had power to spare @ end .
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:52 AM   #51

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by knunut View Post
Installed the Reading Lite LED from Airstream ,there Great . No Heat and Brite.
Installed some led Pads but don't like the foam pad tape. And if you press the corners to "Stick" them they fail. Letting the rest of them lay on the lens which i dont like. Any ideas on how to place them up in the housing so they don't touch the lens. Overall they are Great. We like the Brite White the warm lite looked Yellow. Just did a week of Boondock and had power to spare @ end .
If they're the same as the LED pads I bought, small zip-ties will slip between the LEDs and the board (between the electrodes) and you can ziptie to something in the base of the fixture. My '75 fixtures have several large holes in the base of the fixture, probably for air flow to cool those hot old 1156 bulbs.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:53 PM   #52
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
I did not like the full pad tape method when I first installed them either so I tried using less of the surface area; just uncovered a portion. They kept falling off on hotter days this summer so I ultimately ended up using the full sticky surface of the pad's tape. They stayed put as intended after that. I also learned you can still get the LED pad off later when I switched out a fixture and reused the pad. My fears of permanent adhesion proved unfounded after having them installed for 4 months before the exchange. Once I thought about it, if they last the forecasted hours, there will be no loss if I have to peel them off using Goo-off years down the road.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:29 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Good ideas. I'm going to try a fiber washer screwed in next to the pad so it just overlaps the edge of pad. I'm thinking the double face glue tape is more for electrical insulation than "Hold". The foam tape seem to be melting? Wish the LED CKT Brd was larger or glue an "edge" to it so you can use a screw to hold it in place. Sound's like a Weekend project.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #54
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
On the white plastic lamps, I used double sided tape which failed very quickly. Now the LED's rest on the lens and have for years without a problem.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
LED Mounting

Mounting the LED'S . The Fiber Washer on two opposite edges didn't wrk. The ckt brd's are sensitve to flex ! My housing has a solid top.But DKB SATX idea about zip tie got me thinking. They make a zip tie called "Mounting Tie" it has a tab that you can pass a screw thru. So I passed the zip tie under the LED's (across short width) cut the Zip flush and then drilled a hole in top of light assy.Passed a screw thru tab and mounted. Have not traveled with yet. Sorry I don't have the skill to post picture.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:15 AM   #56
New Airhead

1966 22' Safari
Fresno , California
I used hot glue on my pads. So far so good. Love the energy savings.
RonMansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Hot Glue sound's good. Maybe Velcro ?